My uncle has coronary artery disease. He told to my parents that his coronary artery narrowed about 50%. We don’t know what that means. Does he need to go to surgery or what? Please, somebody who know something more about coronary artery disease, tell us how serious is 50% coronary artery blockage? Thanks!

When the channel of coronary artery is reduced by more than 50% of the diameter, the artery may become obstructed enough to decrease blood flow to the heart muscle during times of increased need (like exercise or emotional stress). I think that in that situation doctor may suggest coronary artery bypass surgery.

If the arteries are blocked upto 50% , the doctor may ask to change the lifestyle,change the food habits and medicines for preventing further blockages.
Normally no operation is done.
P.J.LAKHAPATE
_[removed]_

surgery is not the primary treatment for 50%. 50% is actually relatively not bad, and docs will medically manage it. you should ask his doc for more info

pl send me the medical information connected to cad

my father is 54 yrs old and had gotten his angiography done recently which showed around 80% blockage of the main vein and a few other blockages of abt 70% or so...please guide me on wat is advisable,an angioplasty or open heart surgery and wat amount of blockage is normal and not reason for worry.Please reply asap as a decesion needs to b taken in the near future.

He should be talking to his heart doctor(s) or they should be talking to him. We are not the ones to ask for that kind of advice.

When I had bypass surgery 15 years ago the doctor in the ER told me they found 4 arteries that needed bypassing but when I got to the hospital where they did the operation they did 6. I asked the doctor who worked on me what the criteria was for deciding which ones to do and which to leave alone. He said they bypass any that are 50% or more when they are in there. However I had one that was over 90%. I think they might not go in for only a few that are just over 50%. I don't know what they use to decide that.

So that's a decision and a discussion for him and his heart surgeon.

70% Blockages and above have a serious threat of heart attack. With 70% blockages either small blood clot or spasm is enough to cut off blood supply to heart and lead to heart attack. When blockages are btween 50 to 65%, doctor try to prevent operation by life style changes like, diet, exercise, yoga or meditation etc. Angioplasty is generally the best option as it is less invasive and less risky. Recovery time is considerably less compared to open heart surgery. However, some time are blocked near the junction of the arteries where stent can't be put there because it causes blood clot. In that case, open heart or bypass surgery is the only option.

hello, I leaned from my mother's cardiologist that if the blockage is around 50%- 70% they usually perfrom Percutaneous intervention such as Angioplast. For blockages greater than 70%, I think they perform CABG/ Bypass.

they have robotic surgery now which is much better and patients heal faster. it's a whole new way of doing things and it's better. good luck

I believe this is b/c the insuranse companies do not cover the operation until the arteries are 70% blocked

Wow, there is whole lot of misinformation here. 70 percent seems to be the number when cardiologists look at doing angioplasty, depends on the individual. I have had 2 separate occasions where 99 percent blockages were opened with angioplasty, other blockages down to 70 percent. If the blockage is 100 percent then you can expect bypass surgery, some situations require bypass with lesser blockages. Finally, leave the medical decisions to consultations with your heart care medical professionals.

Darlin---I hate to be the one to tell ya--but 100% blockage will kill ya!!

Hello All,

I would like to know if 39% coronary artery blockage is a normal percentage ?is it possible to lower it to a healthier % and what would that number be?i'm 44 yrs.old.

I had a heart attack 2 weeks ago and an emergency heart cath and main aretery 100% blocked and they did a stent.