what does it mean when someone hears their heartbeat in their head? it is not heard 'in' the ears -- is difficult to pinpoint the exact area -- but seems to be primarily in the middle-back and lower area of the head. more where the spine joins the head? it can be very loud and is very annoying when quiet/sitting still. never been dx'd with HTN.

any help or suggestions?

Well I think it's HTN vs. Tension Headache.

You said you haven't been diagnosed with HTN. Does that mean you don't have high blood pressure or you just haven't been formerly diagnosed.

never been dx'd with HTN. have always been hyptensive, course that can change. don't believe it's tension related. time for my annual pe soon so hopefully will find out what this is. but would appreciate more response from people about this.

that should be 'hypotensive', not 'hyptensive'.

Hrm that would pretty much rule out any kind of headache as you would lack the arterial pressure that would create that.

That leaves the vasculature of the head. If there is not pain associated with this pulsating sensation and you have no other medical symptoms you may want to consider the possibility that this is anxiety related.

Please let us know what your doctor says :-).

thanks very much for your input, i appreciate it and i will most definitely will post whatever the findings are.

Hiya all,
My mum (age 55) suffers from hearing her heartbeat in her head, it is at the back of head above spine aswell. She has been doctors numerous times, they keep putting it down to ear infection. Giving her anti-biotics. These do not work. Does anyone have the answer to what it is. She is getting really down with it all now. She can't sleep either, the pounding is way to loud when everything is quiet. Please help, doctors are useless.

Hi, i to have this symptom, along with chronic pounding sensations to face, usually a lot faster than heartbeat. I also suffer hypotension, wich i believe to be high blod pressure, and have spasms to face and other body parts. I have major spams above left chess situated where my hear is that visibly spasm out. I have been formally diagnosed with anxiety and have never been refered further. I have had this pain for the past 2 years. and am only 19, and reasonably fit and healthy. Pain present is self sevierly from time to time and can last months. Of sevear pain to face and chess. Pain changes when small amount of pressure is applied to cirtain parts of face. I also have constant pain / discomfort when swallowing, That has continued from the begining. In the begining pain presented itself as electric shock sensations running down my spine. I feel exreamly week from time to time, and am beginning to doubt my diagnosis, not one medical product has ever treated the pain with the exeption of when it got so bad, that i was put IV morphine 3 times being topped up throughout one night that resulted in me being stuck in a ward due to seveir pain, techicardia, and high blod preassure. I have been put on tramadol, codeine, lyrica and antidepressants. I am begining to doubt my diagnosis

hi i have a heartbeat in the back of mz head mz everz beat i feel a pounding sensation and it reallz hurts can someone tell me whats happening???

I had pounding for months in head turned out I needed 6 units of blood. severely anemic. Was put through all kinds of heart tests all negative. Finally some one did a blood workup and the anemia was found. Should have died. I am bleeding somewhere in my body but after 4 years I am still on iron and have no idea what is causing the anemia. Had every test they can think of . So they say I am on iron for life. Pounding can be Anemia as the pounding went away after 3 units of blood.

Thanks for your post. I have pounding in one ear, like a heart beat. I noticed it for the first time a few months ago only when I would lie down to sleep. As it progressed it would wake me up from a sound sleep and now I can hear/feel it during the day. I would have thought it was blood pressure, except mine is usually low. But I have had low iron levels for years, they won't take my blood during blood drives because of my hematicrit readings. So your comments are useful. Now I have direction when speaking to my doctor. I hate just stating symptoms without some clue for a course of action because the inevitable is "let's run some tests." Thppt!

Thanks again!

Hi, If you're a female you should discuss this with your doctor since I also had this problem and got sent to the internist who tried everything and the last possibility was to do a Hysterectomy (I also had extreme endometriosis) and this finally resoved the problem. I hope that this helps.

Hi - I also had this symptom (among many others that I didn't think were related) and thought it was panic/anxiety related. Turned out I too was anemic 6 pints low. Had several transfusions of whole blood, followed by Iron infusion of several pints. No known cause as well (after all the tests.) My blood levels dropped a bit a few months later, but 3 months after that - it "fixed" itself and as of ~ 1 month ago - all good.
BUT - do you have other symptoms that might help you pinpoint the issue. Some of my other symptoms included:
Extreme fatigue - Ignored it, just thought I was getting too out of shape, eventually, after several days of not even being able to walk down a flight of stairs at work (had to take the elevator) I thought it might be more than lack of exercise!
Cravings: Certain/odd foods (mine was a sudden need to try this strawberry/lime? flavored gum I'd never had before, just saw as I was walking down the food aisle, soon, I had to make sure I had several multi-packs with me, if I was going to be away from home for 1 night. Thought it was just some weird phase - but no other gum would do, had to be this one. Glad this one is gone, I chew gum, but this was getting weird jonesing for something like a drug!
- I also craved soda, which I rarely drink, but it had to be fountain soda (not bottled), and I think I just really wanted the ice in the cup (I rarely add ice to my drinks otherwise.)
When I finally went to my Dr. she had to point out how pale my face, palms, nail beds, lips etc. were saying "Didn't anyone notice how pale you are?" I said, "I rarely look in the mirror, and I'm pretty pale normally so it didn't seem to stand out as much on me..."

Now - Starting a few weeks ago, and occurring intermittently, I hear the blood pounding in head started again. I remembered that as 1 of my Anemia symptoms (easily forgotten as other symptoms were more nagging (& weird.) But, my test was good - couldn't have lost that much blood again within a few weeks without knowing it at least - skin isn't pale, no cravings... Realized I have been experiencing a huge increase in general stress, and now I believe that is the cause (anxiety/stress) ~ but haven't been able to "relieve" it (deep breathing, walking/stretching, couple of beers...Talked to Dr., and told her it feels like a stress response, but when it starts to happen, I'm not (at least 'consciously') aware of a specific trigger, I have 'overall' stress, but nothing specific that seems to "kick it off." Dr. agreed and gave me Lorazepam to try, hoping this is temporary. I haven't tried it yet (would rather not), but if it helps, I'll let you know.

Sorry for the long response, I'm not usually this chatty...maybe I should take a pill!

Hi, you may want to explore causes of pulsatile tinnitus. There are many different causes, so it's important to find a medical professional who is open to exploring different possibilities and different tests so you can start ruling out the most dangerous causes and then work your way down to the benign causes.

It's also important to seek support from other sufferers, because this can be a very disturbing and alienating condition. See whooshers dot com for more information from fellow pulsatile tinnitus sufferers and information and articles from all over the Internet. It's a helpful place to start. Good luck.

Hi, I'm hearing / feeling the heartbeat in my head as well for the last month or so. My aortic heart valve is leaking quite a bit and will be replaced soon. I hope this solves the problem (as well as others). Hard to sleep at night too.