I need some info about the third ventriculostomy for that is how my 3 years old son is going to be treated for he is diagnosed with hydrocephalus and until this third ventriculostomy procedure is performed he is supposed to take cetazolamide in order to slow down the cerebrospinal fluid accumulating around his brain. Anyway all I wanted to hear is what is this third ventriculostomy about and how come my son was suggested to have a treatment like that and not for example shunt system which is the most common in treating hydrocephalus and could this third ventriculostomy be of help in resolving my son's health problem? Thanks much!

The exact hydrocephalus treatment actually depends on its cause and severity and third ventriculostomy is performed very rarely but basically it means that your son’s hydrocephalus is recognized early on time so his condition is not that much severe and therefore no shunt system needs to be performed and it is more likely there is an flow obstruction between ventricles so this third ventriculostomy actually means that the neurosurgeon would make a hole on the bottom of his third ventricle and so this hole would be the passageway for CFS in which manner further CFS accumulation could be avoided.

Sorry to hear about it.
Ventriculostomy is a neurosurgical procedure. It is done by surgically placing a tube through the skull such that it terminates in the ventricle of the brain. The place of entrance on the skull is called Kocher's point. Ventriculostomy is done primarily to monitor the intracranial pressure as well as to drain CSF primarily or blood to relieve pressure from the CNS.

I have hydrocephalus and have had this treatment. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use