I have heard something that under the new regulations, building owners will have to clean and disinfect all cooling towers and water fountains. It should be done at least once every six months. They should also carry out legionella bacteria testing at least once every three months. That is needed to ensure compliance with the stipulated bacteriological standards. It sounds interesting to me, so I would like to hear more about this problem called Legionnaires’ disease.

Building owners corporations will be give, a six-month grace period to comply with the requirements of this regulation you have heard. All this must be done to prevent Legionnaires’ disease. This problem is caused by the inhalation of water droplets contaminated with legionella bacteria. For these bacteria, poorly maintained cooling towers and water fountains are common sources. Legionnaires’ disease is a potentially fatal lung infection, which usually affects the elderly people. It also affect commonly and persons whose body resistance is compromised by other illnesses. The disease has been made legally since 1 Oct 2000. Many buildings with central air-conditioning using water-cooled system do already have some form of maintenance program to preventing Legionnaires’ disease. This new regulations, however, will streamline maintenance to ensure compliance with the quality required in each conditions.