Hello. I'm 23 year old female.
I have one problem and I was hopping that someone could help me!
Anyone have any ideas on what might cause tingling in the tongue and lips? It tends to occur near the tip of the tongue and towards the centre of my lips.
I don’t know what cause this but I was thinking that it could be from some food allergy and I didn’t pay too much attention on it.
But with time my symptoms didn’t change. Few days ago while I was reading some medical magazine I found that some very serious disease called multiple sclerosis can cause tingling tongue and after that I got pretty frightened.
Please tell me that don’t suffer from some disease like MS or similar?!

I will try to help you as much as I can because I read a lot about this and know little extra information about MS.
You are right. Tingling tongue is one of many visible symptoms of multiple sclerosis.
It doesn't sound as if many of your symptoms are found in MS.
There are a lot of other things that can cause a tingling tongue though, MS being one of them.
Could it be that you bit the tongue and some bacteria get on it. It could cause similar symptoms to yours. Even different oral infection can cause tongue and lips tingling.
Also, smoking could also cause this kind of symptoms.
You should scheduled your self a MRI scan and this will solve all your problems because it will tell you do you suffer from some disease like multiple sclerosis.

Don't get yourself to upset. I have a numb tongue, numb fingers on my right hand, and numb toes. I had three MRI's and it is not MS. I don't know what it is, but thank God it's not MS. I was very worried also. If you are worried than get an MRI . Good luck.
Cathy Resnick
Hello. I'm 23 year old female.

I know this is a late response, but I just saw your inquiry. I too had these symptoms last year after the removal of my thyroid. This appears to be related to calcium levels in your system. I encourage you to discuss this with your primary physician who will more than likely refer you to have lab work done and possibly to an endocronolgist. This is the doctor that monitors all my blood levels etc. Also if you inquire on the internet it will give you possible scenarios as to what might be causing your symptoms. In any event you should consult your doctor for an accurate diagnosis. Good luck!

Several years ago I was diagnosed with Raynaud's Phenomenon, where my fingers would turn white, black, etc, from a circulatory condition related to arthritis (very painful). :'( It was sporatic, at first, until last winter when I had to be outside in the cold a lot for my job. It started bothering me a lot, and started effecting my toes the same way. When it got warmer, the circulatory condition seemed to improve, but my fingers and toes still tingle.
A couple of months ago, my tongue and lips started tingling occasionally, also, and I contributed it to a fruit allergy because it mostly happened when I ate fruit. But now it seems to be a constant. It seems like almost everything I eat is laced with pepper juice -- hot or warm foods, cinnamon, certain spices. %-)
Two-and-a-half years ago I had gastric bypass surgery, and I have a very thorough doctor. She ran a series of blood tests on me a couple of months ago, and everything came out normal. :-D
So, maybe it is just my age catching up to me -- 50 next month.
A website search I did yesterday came up with nothing but mouth cancer. o.O However, since I don't smoke, chew, or drink, the chances of that are very slim and I kept looking. I'm glad I ran across this website and "Power Surge Forum," because I've found out that I'm not alone in this, and not quite as "weird" as I thought I was.
Hang in there, girls, we'll all make it! :-)

This has been going on with me too.....Don't understand it. It feels very weird. Have you found out more about this?

I also have this same exact sensation. It has been around for about a week. I just recently had surgery and was on antibiotics thats all I could contribute it to. Also ... lately my teeth are sore/aching.

Check your toothpaste. In my search for an answer to the same question I was just reading that sodium laurel sulphate can cause those tongue and lip tingles. It can get worse, as it IS an allergic reaction. I plan on going home and checking the ingredients in my toothpaste. I have perfume and dust allergies, so one more allergy wouldn't surprise me.

yes, I have the same symptom too - I've been drinking blackstrap molasses for the last couple of weeks...

I have this and am scared.... help!!!!!!!!
It isnt so much painful as it is unconfortable.........!!!!!
I took a antianxiety pill just so I could sleep.

This happened to me yesterday.

In a very short time period, I had stomach pains and nausea. Then, my tongue and my toes started tingling. My fingers felt the same and it started to spread to my elbows.

I was in a train when it happened :( only 3 stops from my station. I felt terrible. A couple minutes after getting off, I began to feel better and the tingles went away.

I was wondering if anyone had other sumptoms in addition to the topic.

Thank you all in advance.

I guess I'm not the only one! It's true these symptoms aren't necessarily painful, but they are scary! :shock:

At first it was just the tip of my tongue that tingles and went numb. Now it's my tongue, the left side of my lip is numb and the entire left side of my face. It feels as though I just left the dentist office after a filling.

On a more serious note it has you thinking "is it an anuerism, a brain tumor, MS. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in February and I have my annual checkup tomorrow as well as my 1st mammogram in 2 days (I'm 34). I hope it's just my mind going 360.

Tingling of the lips as well as hands and toes can be cause by a vitamin B12 deficiency~! easily correctable with supplementation and/or intramuscular injection.
There is no real concern with overdosing with B12 because it is a water soluble vitamin and you will just excrete the excess.
Hope this helps.

Hi there,

I also have tingling in my tongue, I have been removing wallpaper with fabric softner and water mixed together. I think it is from the fabric softner, have any of you used fabric softner lately? Maybe this is the cause!

Cathy

koi wrote:

I seem to have developed strong reactions to shampoos (all, I've tried every one on the market) and recently have developed tingling in my lips and tongue--could this be related?