My son had tonsillectomy yesterday. I'm giving to him a lot of water and juice to drink. When can he start to eat soft foods after tonsillectomy? I know that I can make for him some soft food like milkshakes, pudding and pasta. But I can't think of anything else that he can eat. Please, give me some idea! Thank you!

Hi! He needs to drink a lot of fluid. Continue to give him water and some cold and sweet drinks. You can make pancakes with lots of butter and syrup mashed up or even spaghettis. Just avoid hard foods, crunchy foods, and spicy foods. Soon he will be ready to eat ice cream. I'm sure that he will be satisfied with it.

I just got my tonsils out yesterday and so far i can eat things like,
Pudding,
Soft ice cream,
yogurt,
jello,
mashed potatoes,
chicken noodle soup ( warm not hot)
Soft, steamed vegtetables.
Just a lot of soft stuff.

And lots of water, apple juice and flat pop.
Make sure you keep up with the pain medication though,
Cause it hurts really bad when you dont.

Two words: FOOD PROCESSOR. I'm recovering now, and my girlfriend just cooks what we would usually cook, and we mash it into a paste with the food processor. I can eat most foods this way. Even if you don't have a food processor, it might be worth buying one for the surgery.

one of the foods that he can eat is known as Scrambled eggs.

Yogurt (for the reason of when you are taking the antibotics), Oatmeal, grits, popsicles, etc. The only thing with ice cream is that it causes phlegm.

Ice Ice Cold TEA Oh Yeah ! Just the regular black pekoe kind, none of the others. Unsweetened and definitely no lemon. It feels so great. The ice, ice helps keep the swelling down, numbs the throat, and the tannins in the tea act as an astringent and also help from getting an infection.

Wendy's has great ice tea if you don't feel like making any and no I don't work there, just remember how they helped me through my T&A.

NO TOAST!!! Toast and other possible scratchy foods can cause the scabs to come off and cause bleeding and hemmorhage that can be deadly!

Well one thing i can say is all the information above is false. I have just had a tonsillectomy and i have been told to try and eat and drink as normal. Just been told to avoid spicy food and food that is too sharp. All other food is allowed!! I am on day three of my tonsillectomy and so far I have eaten toast, mash, chips, chicken nuggets, and domino's pizza!!! The first thing I was told to eat in hospital was toast and they would not allow me to go home until i did this.

They key to getting through it is plenty of pain killers!!! Dont get me wrong, this hurts like hell when there are no pain killers but if you take your pain relief before you eat than there are no problems with food!!! As I was told my recovery is in my own hands, If i dont eat normally the longer it will take me to recover!!!

So soft food.... my backside!!! eat normally!!!!

Yep quoting this. I'm guessign you're from the UK?

I believe the US believe in soft eating and UK hard eating. I have to say I feel the UK healing process seems to be much quicker (judging by various journals ive read) due to just eating normally. Eating harder foods clears the debris (white stuff) off the tonsils, which is SURELY a good thing!

Although saying this, I do have a red patch there today :/

I don't know who is responding to this, but I had a tonsillectomy several days ago (as well as an adnoids reduction, and septoplasty), and foods that can scrape are definitely NOT allowed!!! I have been drinking as much ice water as possible, iced tea, and soup broth with ice in it, which has all been very soothing. I have been trying to stick to food with small particles, such as baby rice in place of oatmeal, because any hard food (even scratchy toast!) can remove the scabs that are trying to form, causing bleeding. If your son gets a bleed, he will have to go back to the hospital for the bleed to be cauterized. No hospital would ever make someone eat toast so soon after their tonsillectomy, that is insane! It does get worse around days 3, 4, or 5, and then it will get better, so I would really recommend eating foods that are as soft as possible especially in days 1-7. I have been trying to branch off from broth to soups that have been blended in a food processor. Though yogurt and ice cream sound good, but for some reason they cause a kind of a coating of the throat. My doctor says that for some this is soothing, but can make others cough (not good, this could sprout a bleed). It was not good for me, personally. A side note to add is that juice is good vitamin-wise, but can sting the throat, as can certain sorbets. The sherbet I tried burned terribly! Some popsicles I really like are called "So Delicious," they are dairy-free, strawberry flavored, and very soft, almost like sorbet, but all natural (much better for you). Another thing to keep in mind is that pain medications can be constipating, so crushing up a mild laxative into soup, or adding fiber to what he's eating (like metamucil) might be beneficial. Another thing is the ears, a lot of tonsillectomy patients complain that their ears hurt. Mine did too, and according to my doctor many nerves run through the throat to the ear, and since they are cauterized in the throat, voice their pain in the ear. I have been putting ear plugs in the freezer, and popping them in my ears when they hurt. Odd, but it helps. Happy healing!

I dont know where everyone got there information but my two oldest boys (5,and 7)just had this done and the dr was very clear ONLY SOFT FOODS!!!!!! adults may be different but the dr will tell you soft food only if you scratch off scabs you could realy get hurt so may god be with all thoes who dont follow dr orders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, Im on day 9 post-op and I still can't eat solid food. Even liquified foods still hurt like the devil, even if I take my Demerol and hour before. If your Dr. tells you to eat toast following a tonsillectomy, I'd slap him across the face, or find a new doctor. If you do that, you risk hemorrhaging... which can lead to death for obvious reasons.

Toast, my fanny!!! I am a nurse and the majority of the patients that come in to the ER with hemorrhaging come in because they ate solid foods WAY too soon. Only soft mashed up foods, soups, sherbet, after 24 hours, until you are cleared by the doctor for anything more solid.

No toast! I simply tried to eat soft wonderbread day six after the surgery, and wound up hemmoraging. I've learned my lesson regarding "eating normally", or trying solid foods. Scratching the white (scabs) off of the back of your throat is not smart, and is dangerous.
So, yes, eat solid foods if you want to wind up in the ER headed to the OR for more surgery.