Long story. At first it just felt like I was getting a cold because my head or more likely, my ears were stuffed up and draining down my throat. I assumed that this is what caused the swelling in the first place. I ignored it for a really long time until finally my tonsils swelled to such a point that it became really hard to swallow things. I didnt feel pain like with strep. I went to the doctors and they tested me for strep and mono, both tests came out negative but just in case they sent me home with the general antibiotic, amoxacillion. I took that until it was empty and I seemed okay for a few days but the Swelling didn't go down. I returned to the same doctor that put me on an even stronger antibiotic and sent me to an ENT after they tested me for mono and strep again, which came out negative. The ENT gave me more of the same antibiotic and put me on a sterioid that is meant to get the swelling down. After this case I seemed fine for another couple of weeks but the swelling never really went down much. I woke up one day in Jan. and the Swelling was twice as bad as it had ever been. I went to a new doctor and she prescribed me the strongest Antibiotic she could and put me back on the sterioid. They took a culture of my throat and found that there's no bacteria but my tonsils are trying for an escape. Another wierd thing is that every time my tonsils swell up my ears start to drain again as do my sinus'. I do have little white craters all over my tonsils similar to the tonsil rock things. The new ENT I'm seeing soon will hopefully suggest that I get my tonsils taken out, but my family is severely worried about its effects on my throat because I'm a Colouratura/Lyric soprano. I personally dont believe that it will have too large of an effect but at 21 years old apparently the surgery is a little more hectic the older you are.

Also, anybody have an idea of what I may have? Doctors have ruled our Mono and Strep and I think on 3 different types of Antibiotics surely it would have kicked out Mono and Strep by now.

What have you found out? It appears I have the same thing.

Well, I see the doctor this up coming Friday. So far things havent gotten better. Now I have an odd cough and when I gargle salt water it only makes me cough more. The tonsils are pretty close to touching...I fool around a bit and poke them with my tongue for the heck of it and move them around. My ears are still draining and there are little yellow or white pus pockets all over my tonsils which is a sign of like strep or mono right? >.< Why do the tests keep coming back negative and cultures saying that there's no bacteria? I have the signs but no fever. If it werent for their size this problem may easily be ignored.

The only reported thing I know about singing and tonsillectomy is that some people say it's harder to "roll R's" If you sing in a language that uses rolling R's you may notice some difficulty.

From a medical standpoint studies show that voice ergo singing are not changed in any way.

You will need to give proper time for healing and I expect the loudness of your voice will be hindered for a month or so.

Oh wow, I'll be sad to hear that I wont be able to roll "r"s very well but as long as the strength of my voice isnt weakened. I'm getting this procedure done hopefully a few months before school starts so it wont mess with anything or with my scholarship.

YES YES YES!! I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM AND FEEL BETTER THAN IVE EVER FELT!!
Look up Hashimoto's Thyroiditus and Fibromyalgia -- you are NOT going to believe what you see. I am betting that you have other seemingly unrelated symptoms which will go away with treatment!!
DONT POO POO me bc you read "DISEASE"!!! One of 10 people has a thyroid disease and doesn't know it! I was one of them and am now cured and back to my old self
***GUESS HOW HASHIMOTO'S STARTS: AN INFECTION****
DONT LET YOUR DOCTOR TALK YOU OUT OF THE HASHIMOTO'S BLOOD TEST -- IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE

Holy cow......I read the symptoms of that thing and wow. Majority of those symptoms i actually have. I'll have to see if I should get tested for it. They removed my tonsils though, hahaha, probably should have read this sooner.

Alrighty so its almost been a month since I have had surgery. Because my tonsils were so large my pallet has yet to go back to supporting itself. Doctor said i have a lazy pallet and it should be back to normal in no time. that's all fine and dandy, but what about these bumps that are now appearing around my uvula??? Anybody else have this problem after they had a tonsillectomy? Doctor put me on more antibiotics because the back of my throat was having some trouble healing. Could these possibly be sores or will they just randomly go away?? He said that my Tonsils were a lot larger than he expected and that my adenoids were also unusually large.

My 21 yr old daughter who had her tonsils removed at about the age of 4. She found out about 3 yrs ago her tonsils have started to grow back and has problems with a constant cough/congestion, swollen tonsils, etc. She was put on antibiotics, tested for mono and strep/negative. We are at a loss at what to do next. It's a possiblity that she may need these tonsils removed as well. I thought tonsils were there to "prevent" infection, when I believe they do just the opposite.

I have the similar problem! except for the running ears. this is my second month and my tonsils keep going away with medicine but just as the medicine is finished it comes back. i have a feeling that it is because i keep eating leftovers i had eaten when i was sick. my mother believes it keeps coming back because i keep feeding the bacteria back into my body. perhaps you should throw away your tooth brush especially, and do a thorough cleaning of anything that you could have touched while being sick. disinfect everything with strong household cleaners. wash all your clothes and bed sheets with hot water. i hope this helps

Tonsillitis/strep doesn't have to be bacterial!!!!!!...most cases it's viral which will not be helped by antibiotics. Most of the time with viral you either need to get vaccination shots before you catch the virus or you just have to wait it out and do your best to alleviate symptoms. Your throat could be worn down by all the singing or stress..ect and the same virus (which lives quite long outside of a host) may be reinfecting you. I'd disinfect with peroxide or bleach solutions and wash things in hot water. Then I'd use a netti pod with a salt water mixture to clean out your sinuses. Finally I'd try getting lots of rest, drinking water, taking vitamins, eating a variety of naturally colorful foods, take echinacea goldenseal, take probiotics since you could get worse bacterial infections now that your good bacteria is gone and your immune system is weakened, bleach your took brush while you have the dots and throw it away when if ever you start to look better, obviously wash hands before/after eating/before touching your face/after touching other people..., also maybe some capsicum supplement mixture. Also if you live in a dry area I'd recommend soaking in long warm showers twice a day and a humidifier in your room. Your symptoms can even be caused by hand, foot, and mouth disease or even sever allergic reactions to pollutants, mites/dust, foods, soaps/lotions... persistent irritation from nasal drainage due to allergies can cause infections in the tonsils. Also something you will not want to hear, HIVs can show up as that kind of infection and won't show up on HIV tests for years....they just lay wait in your body. You should test your DNA for different viruses. It's even possible you have leukemia. I think your doctors were VERY STUPID to keep giving you antibiotics when you had negative results for bacterial infections... you've simply screwed your body over for when bacterial infections do hit. Antibiotics are over prescribed too often. I've had something similar 4 times this year and it just turned out to be a virus hitting after mild allergy attacks. I wish you the best with your health. (I'M FIRST MED and COMMUNICABLE DISEASE CERTIFIED, among other health training and I work as a teacher in public schools)

did you find a cure for it yet

I have the bumps too, only BEHIND one side of my soft pallet , and one ONLY ONE tonsil has been swollen for 6 months straight,

Antibiotics don't work, I have no idea what it is, going to see the ent, kinda worried.

me too a went to the ent at the hospital ,ive had it for bout 2 months feels lumpy on the left side he said some people get an enlarged tonsil and it never goes and they nothing they can do am shocked he said forget about it ,its not serious ,easy for him to say tho

I also have had enlarged left tonsil with sore throat for 3 wks now, have had a scratchy, wierd feeling throat for 4 months on left side. Ive had not as much of an appetite and have felt tired. My strep test came back negative but they put me on Sulfa antibiotics for a facial staph infection, today I went to see the ENT for tonsil. She advised me to finish that antibiotic for staph to see if it helps tonsil but I know it wont due to only 4 days left of med. and no improvement. The ENT then wants me to go back and see her to eiether try new antibiotic or have them out. Scared to have them out, scared of surgery, also scared I may have HPV related tonsil cancer! :( Let me know if anyone on here has any advice or knowledge on situation.