My friend had tried Bernstein diet and told me it is 100% medically supervised. The only people who treat you at the Bernstein clinics are doctors and registered nursing personnel, which I prefer. Also I have heard they routinely perform treatments that others are not qualified to do. Treatments such as prescribing and administering medications and blood tests are performed. I was thinking if I could start with this kind of diet, since I am diabetic.

The Dr Bernstein diet works because they can stimulate the body to break down fat faster than normal. That is done by releasing stored energy and food value. Bernstein diet combines that with a well-balanced controlled food intake. That’s why you get more than adequate nutrition without hunger. They require you to come in at least 3 times a week to be monitored by nurses and doctors who check your progress and health. There's no guesswork involved in this diet. The Dr. Bernstein weight loss program involves a unique combination of low calorie diet, orregular grocery store foods. Beside this, there is behavior modification, education and vitamin and mineral supplements. Most importantly, the Bernstein weight loss regimen ensures that you lose only fatty tissue and not muscles. Unlike other diets, you will never lose essential muscle tissue, vital proteins, electrolytes and bodily fluids. It has been proven their patients lose fat tissue that has mainly been stored in such problem areas as the waist, hips and thighs. Another pleasant benefit of note is the quality of skin tone. As you slim down, your skin will maintain a normal, healthy appearance, and not gaunt, sallow or saggy. And at the end, it is perfectly safe and effective for people with diabetes, osteo arthritis, cancer, high blood pressure and other cardio-vascular conditions.

My mother is an obese woman and has tried a lot of the popular diets over the years and none of them worked then she found out about Dr.Bernsteins clinics. She weighed 400 pounds when she started about two years ago and has now lost 150 pounds and is a new woman. She gained some weight at Christmas this year and had to sign a contract that she would lose 2 pounds a week. She is now able to travel and that is what she did when she went to Mexico last week. She gained about ten pounds while she was away (as you do at an all inclusive resort) and when she returned to the clinic only to promptly get KICKED OUT by Dr.Bernstein himself because of the weight gain. She is devastated, and I am afraid for her future. She has paid ALOT of money over two years and had been very successful up to now. I just don’t understand how they could do this to my mom, it seems as though he cares more about his reputation then he does about the people in his program. This program DOES work but if this is the way they treat their patients I would not recommend it to anyone.
If anyone has had similar experiences with Dr. B or knows someone who has I would love to hear about them …I doubt my moms the only one … she is a kind good hearted person and any support would be appreciated
Thank you

Has any experienced any hair loss after being on the diet...I had a lot of success and lost 30 pounds I have been off the diet for about two months now and am experiencing hair loss...has any else had this happen...any solutions?????

Yes! I lost 39 lbs and then went on the 2 months maintenance program. My hair was falling off while on the program but during maintenance the amount of falling hair quadrupled. I am off the maintenance for two weeks now and am still losing my hair! In my attempts to find an answer, I found this website. Anyone has any solutions? Thanks.

mddds wrote:

Guest wrote:

Yes my friend lost some of her hair. She quit the berstein diet. My husband how ever has had no problem.

My husband lost 100lbs with Berstein ( the majority of it in 3 months) They are very strict and if your Mother was not keeping up to her end of the bargain they don't want to waste her time or theres, they set a goal for you and want you to succeed, but are not there to babysit you. So you Mother needs to get serious about losing the weight. If she cooks from the Berstein Cook Book and drinks lots of water she will still lose weight without going to the Clinic. She can get the Vitamin B shots at a Natural Path Clinic. (Quite a few clinics give them)

I also was kicked out of Bernstein's Clinic!! I lost 4o lbs and did the maintence for about 1 month. The following year I had a heart attack and gained back 50 lbs!! I went to back to the clinic and after 2 weeks I had to stop as a family member had some serious health problems. I asked them to refund what was left from my month and they were going to charge me a fee for a refund! I got a bit upset(I was under alot of stress by this point) and said something that I was sorry for later. They kicked me out because I have an apparent "behaviour problem"!! I had apologized and explained the situatuion leading up to the conversation. That was not good enough as they have black listed me from the clinics. By the way, when I asked what they were injecting me with and how much they would not tell me. Does anyone know?

Ok. So, lets be fair here. First, any person who goes to a diet clinic and pays up to $ 600.00 per month to lose weight in a medically supervised way is serious about dieting and wants to lose weight. Add in all the blood work, extra costs for potassium, vitamins, meal supplements, and going there 3 times per week to get weighted in: That is a committed person trying to lose weight!

There are years, and years of bad habits, and emotional garbage mixed into the obesity situation that a person like this finds themselves in. Fast quick results motivate you to keep on going, and keep on trying. You fall off and you get back on because you want to succeed. Alot of emotional change has to take place in the process. You are so focused on the fact that the weight is falling off that you neglect to realize what emotional baggage is not changing. Until the end.

When you are first on the program, if you slip off, they cut out your fruit for 3 days, tell you to eat jello light and kick start yourself back into ketosis so that you will continue to lose weight. They encourage you, motivate you, and make you feel that they believe in you. When you restart, it s a completely different story. There are no more "Hello's", "Good Job", "Keep on Going", They wait for any opportunity for you to fail so they can blame you, not the diet!

Fast weight loss is great, but the emotional process is not as quickly changed. I have been on the Bernsteing Diet for a LONG time, and I can say from experience that losing weight is easy, the emotional change is a completely different story! Going back is brutal, emotionally painful, and exhausting. You begin to get afraid to eat for fear of being kicked off the diet. I have gone 2 days without food because I was afraid to not meet thier goal weight demands at my upcoming weigh in. BUT if you are able to survive, you lose, and then you are happy about yourself regardless of the clinic because you know that you are succeeding. They have me between a rock, and a hard place, they have my money, and I have to comply to thier demands or I will lose $ 600.00.

This diet does one thing REALLY wrong. It puts the blame of failure on the patient, and disregards the long term emotional change that needs to take place and has constructed a "return to the program policy" that is guaranteed to blame you, not the diet, and not to address the emotional change process! PLease note: I have successfully reached my goal weight 3 times on the program.

I use to go to weight watchers, I lost alot of weight on that program too, and I wish to GOD I would have gone back there, rather than become addicted to The Bernstein Diet. When I failed, I was always, ALWAYS, welcomed back with open arms of encouragment. I was never penalized, I was even allowed to use my old tickets. Not to mention that it is 1/4 of the price of the Bernstein Diet!

The Bernstein Diet fails to recognize that those who continue to come back are doing so because they believe in the diet and are trying REALLY hard. Failed patients are not encouraged to go back to the clinic BECAUSE they are a long term statistical liability to the Bertstien Diet's Promotional Campaign. "Successful Weight Loss" .

When I went back I was told that "Dr. Bernstein does not want your money" NOT!!! They take your money, force you to prepay a non refundable payment of $ 600.00 (24 injections) and if you fail, they keep your money! He wants your money, not your long term statisical liability and proof that it is almost impossible to keep the weight off!

I went on Bernstiens 6 years ago to loose my pregnancy weight, and I did. They were supportive and gave me 2 weeks free when I was burning Ketone's but not loosing. I left because I got pregnant again. The 2nd time I went on Bernstien's I didn't pay a thing. I did it on my own with a few friends. We weight'd in once per week and shared idea's. We supported each other when we wanted to cheat. I lost the same amount of weight doing it on my own and I didn't need the shots, just the B vitamin's. Right now I am on it again as I have 10 lbs to loose and no other diet works for me. I haven't officially weighted in yet but I have been burning ketone's for a while so I think I should loose something. Good luck

I have been on the diet twice and been successfull - I am about to go for the third time as I have just had another baby. It is a lot of money but the reesult are so fast that I do not want to do it any other way. Has anyone found another way to get injections....I must be cheaper to get them somewhere else..

MOUNTAIN wrote:

I was on the diet last year with the Dr Bernstein clinic in the Toronto area and I lost 30lbs, and half my hair. The hair never grew back, and I am extremely upset. I had to wear a hat for the past year. I couldn't take it anymore so I went and had a hair transplant last month. It cost me $18000, and will take a year to grow in. I'm happy I lost the weight, but it was not worth it losing all the hair. I sent an email to the Dr Bernstein office saying they should have a warning in their advertisements about possible hair loss. I never heard from them. I am thinking seriously of doing something about these clinics, if anyone else has lost hair due to this diet please contact me.

I'VE SEEN THIS QUESTION A COUPLE OF TIMES. WHY WON'T ANYONE ANSWER THIS? I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT THIS IS WHY IT IS MEDICALLY SUPERVISED AS THE CONCOCTED DOSAGE OF B6 AND B12 IS HIGH AND POTENTIALLY UNSAFE.... PLEASE DON'T ARGUE WITH THAT UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO DIVULGE THE FORMULA.

Im starting the program again on Monday, and I promise to those of you who are here that I will GET THE ANSWER for the B-12 and B6 shots in terms of Dosage when I visit - I will be as persuasive as possible. My sister who is a nurse has told me the Generic Dose of injectable B12 is 1000 Mcg (micrograms) per dose, the drug name is cyanocobalamin, and it is available (although not easily) through prescription.

BUT more importantly- for those of us who have been on the diet before and who are either on it now or about to be on it again (like me) the shots although fun to get (sure sure) arent what Dr. B is about- there is one word: COMPLIANCE. Going to the office three days a week to get a shot is less about the shot itself and more about why youre there- much like Weight Watchers, the fact that someone you dont know is going to weigh you and tell you how much youve lost (or not) is the exact reason they make you come in. And if youre like me that is the motivation for not eating that extra plate or falling out of line with the diet- no one wants to fail. Not to mention all the other benefits, which I am also motivated by.

Can someone help with the food- what brands of bread are allowed - I need to go shopping...