I have been experiencing a recurrence of white chunks on my tonsils. They often cause discomfort to me. Also their texture resembles the white part of a popcorn kernel. I wonder what those white chunks are caused by. Do they maybe indicate some serious illness?

Particles that are most commonly reported by patients are originated in tonsils. As we age, the tonsils develop cervices or so called crypts. These crypts often collect saliva and food particles that then form the particles you described as chunks. They are formally known as tonsilliths, and they do not represent any serious disorder. Though, those white chunks on tonsils can be nuisance. I guess those white chunks on tonsils causes bad breath to you, so you want to know why is this happening to you. Those are just material made by bacteria we normally own in throat. There is nothing to be worry about, because for sure that is not some serious illness. If that is painful, you should visit the doctor to get antibiotic, but those are just nuisance. Some people find explanation that is food that eventually came back, which also can be.

I have white spots like a popcorn texture that come from small holes on my left tonsil only ....the right seem fine ... I had one small hole on the left tonsil now there are 3 and 2 of them still have those white things that come out of them a lot the one hole doesnt have any anymore yet is noticable to me as a hole on my tonsil and is mildly irratated but very little pain ever....Should I be concerned....I am seeing a ent next mnth but was curious what others thght?

yes i too expierence the same symtoms as guy above

the white chunks i have in my throat are more like oatmeal. it so nasty! i pick it out every night. will my doc take my tonsils out because of this problem? %-)

I have had this same problem for years.I had strep throat a lot as a child.I asked the doctor about the stuff coming out of the holes and he said it was food that had became trapped in those holes.I asked about having my tonsils removed and he said they were dicentegrating on their own,hence the holes.That has been several years ago and I stiil have tonsils and the bothersome very smelly things that come out of them.They are yellowish in color.Horrible odor !

I have that white hard stuff in my tonsils too. It smells like poop. Gross

i get htese things also. they always seem to get bigger if i leave then there, but when i remove them there is a big hole. also there is skin that is on ether side of my tonsils i pushed that layer of skin to the side and there was a very larg one. i was wondering if i would have to get my tonsils removed?

My 15 yo son had his tonsils removed 4 days ago because of this. That was on a second opinion as well. The cause is a bacteria that takes hold like a parasite so the problem becaomes chronic. Antibiotics help for only a short time and then it comes back. My son suffered this for 5 years and that was enough for him as he stopped socializing because his breath was so bad. Hence he had them removed to permenantly stop this problem.

If you take a syringe full of water and place it into the hole you can flush the cottage cheese like stuff out of the tonsil.

I get them too, i thought everyone got them, but its great to know that have a name.

I find a nintendo ds stylus is great at removing them!

I have had this problem for years but as I age it seems to be getting worse. Recently, I have had several at the same time and I can taste them. Just this evening, I knew it was foolish, but when couldn't remove them from the holes in my tonsils with a Q-tip, because the cotton tip was too big, I used the wooden end and make my tonsils bleed. I have to wait two months to see a specialist in PA. My breath is my main concern but the taste is no picnic either. I'm in my late 50's so I can't imagine having my tonsils out. They say it is dangerous when you are an adult. Using a syringe to flush them out sounds like it will work. I also read that some people use the syringe to create suction to remove them. Thanks for sharing. This isn't exactly the kind of thing a person wants to discuss over the water cooler (especially if you have bad breath!)

I thought I was the only person that experienced this...My doctor basically said what one of the posters said, that being that since I have relatively large tonsils, food, etc can get caught in their pockets...I agree, the stuff that comes out of them is smelly and gross....I use Hydrogen peroxide in an eye-dropper every once in a while to flush them out ..That at least addresses the breath issue......

How can you remove them with a syringe without gagging yourself? I just discovered this today in my throat, and was very disgusted. I also tried removing them with a q-tip, but ended up gagging myself so many times that I almost got sick. I would like to try the syringe method, but would worry about choking on the water. Has anyone tried it?

it's rotten food in the holes of your tonsils. the only solution is to get your tonsils removed.