I've been running (in this incarnation) since mid-July. I've averaged 22-28 miles the past 6 weeks. Went 28.5 miles this past week (just ended). I'm currently in training for the Atlanta-Half Marathon (on Thanksgiving morning). I currently estimate that I run around a 9 minute mile normally. 9:30/mile is my base for long runs (currently at 10 miles). I ran 7:49/pace for 5K this past weekend (5K personal record - 24:17) with purple hayes and ran 8:20/pace for 10K last month (10K personal record - 51:51). I would love to be able to average sub 8 minute miles for the 10K distance, plus think about sub 2 hours for the half-marathon (requires 9:10 pace for 13.1 miles). I currently run 4 times a week plus weight train with a personal trainer twice a week. Monday and Wednesday are workout days. Tuesday and Thursday are medium intensity runs on the 3% incline treadmill for about an hour (6 - 7 miles). Saturday runs vary from 3 - 6 miles. (Have done quite a few races lately). Sunday is my weekly long run. Yesterday we did 10 miles and that will increase to 13 miles into next month. If I want to increase my speed down to 8 minute miles for 5 - 7 mile runs, should I add a speed workout to my current running schedule or add more mileage to my overall training? Appreciate your suggestions and input!

do tempo runs where you pick up the pace for x amount of minutes the back of for like a minute.

Get some speed work on
and get a solid distance base.

You will make some big improvements over time. Just pace your self and make slow steady progress

Run more. From where you are, all you have to do is put in more mileage and your times will start to come down.

Should I add a tempo run (maybe on Wednesday) or convert one of my existing runs into a tempo run? I don't want to overdo it and I think I'm able to push myself harder because I do have some off days from running (currently those off-days are Mon, Wed, Fri).

I would recommend adding a day. 4 days a week is on the low side IMHO. I would add a speed day. One week it may be tempos, the next it could be intervals, afte that hills. I would mix it up. I would do this for 3 weeks and on the 4th take an easy week, nothing but miles, this will help give you body a break. You may try a schedule like this.

Mon - off/cross train
Tue - Easy miles
Wed - Speed
Thur - Easy miles
Fri - off/cross train
Sat - easy mile
Sun - long run

If you can manage it, I would try this:

Mon - off/cross train
Tue - Speed
Wed - Easy miles
Thur - Moderate pace
Fri - off/cross train
Sat - easy mile
Sun - long run

On the off days I would be sure to do some cycling or something that moves the legs for a bit plus your weight training.

Good running! Paul

Any ideas for the mileage I should be putting in each of these sessions, given my current mpw & background? I think I like the idea of adding in a Wed speed session which varies from tempos, intervals, & hills. But that means I will have to do that speed workout on a day when I weight train. Should I run before Wed. weight training or vice versa?

Mon - off/cross train
Tue - Easy miles - 3 miles
Wed - Speed *see below
Thur - Easy miles - 3 miles
Fri - off/cross train
Sat - easy mile - 3 miles
Sun - long run - 10-? miles

*Speed I would mix it up every week with the 4th week being a rest week (easy, not off )

Hills Look for a 5-8% grade hill that is 400m-800m long (at treadmill works for this too if you can stand running on them. I would do 1 mile easy, 6x400m hill, 1 mile easy. (5 miles total)

Intervals, I am not a big intervals person so others may have a better schedule for this. 1 mile easy, 4x800m 5k pace, 4x400m recovery, 1 mile easy (5 miles total)

Fartlek, 1 mile easy, at the start of every mile run 1 minute fast then the rest of the mile at an easy pace. 5-6 miles (4-5 fartleks)

these are just starting points, I would slowly increase you mileage by the 10% rule. As PH said just adding mileage will also help you become faster. This schedule puts you at 24-25 mpw to start.

On Wednesdays I would run before lifting. That way your legs are fresh and less prone to an injury.

Good luck! Paul

I'd add a speed workout on one of your lifting days. Doesn't have to be anything major - start off with (4) 400's and maybe pick it up a 400 every other week. Do a 400 at somewhat faster than race speed, walk/jog a 400 and then repeat this scenario 4 times. Won't burn you out for your weightlifting afterwards. You can also mix up the speed workouts if you like - warm up and run a mile as hard as you can, walk a 400 and then do a couple of 400 repeats. It helps break up the monotony of speed work for me.

I'd also take one of your current shorter runs and either make it a tempo run or just try to pick up the speed a little bit each time. You won't be successful each time but you'll probably begin to see some significant improvement every couple of weeks.

Keep building your mileage base for that half.