Presque Isle is a State Park right on the waters of Lake Erie in Erie, Pa. I think is a nature preserve, with plenty of beaches, lagoons, and boat dockings to make it a popular summertime hangout. There seemed to be plenty of wetlands (aka swamps) so I stopped and bought buy spray on the way back to the hotel. The run was the road on the island, which is a convenient 13 miles around. It was actually sheltered with the trees and the swampy areas, so the wind issue really wasn t applicable.
Race day was overcast and 63 degrees, around 100 humidity. It drizzled off and on the whole race, but it was not a constant downpour which was what I was dreading. I ran a half mile out and back right before the race began, and remembered I needed some petroleum jelly for some chafing areas (glad we had parked close!).
There were about 400 runners, and we were off right on time. I started out quickly, about a 0830 minute pace, but that slowed rather quickly. Mile 1 was 8.47, which was fine, but then mile 2,3,4 were 9.14 929 and 942. I was slowing. My thighs felt like lead. I kept trying to increase my pace but really was having no luck. Worse, I was getting upset with myself and trying to analyze the situation on the run-what was wrong? Why couldn t I run faster? I was just making myself upset. (I was trying to run an under 9 minute pace, or best scenario, run a 8.30 minute pace). I knew these early miles were ok, but I would have to pick it up sometime.. Mile 5 was 9.21 and then Mile 6 was 9.18, and total time was 55 minutes. I knew then I was not going to make my ultimate goal of 1 hour 50 something.
So I let it go. I decided, ok, this was a training run (which is what is was all along.) And you know what? I felt so much better then. I felt like the pressure was off. I still was trying to increase my pace, which didn t get much faster the whole race, but I concentrated on the run, and stopped analyzing, and just ran it as a training run, taking my gels when I had planned them, getting water. I know I wasn t dehydrated because I wanted a bathroom break from mile 5 on and didn t want to lose the time to it!
I still could not pick it up at the end, at miles 10, 11, or 12. I felt tired, my legs were tired. I hit the mats at 2.03.11, 14th in my age group.
Splits were
8.47 9.14 9.29 9.42 9.21 9.18 9.22 9.18 9.39 9.24 9.23 9.25 9.13

I was running pretty consistent, except it was about 1 minute slower than where I wanted to be!

So, since this was a training run, I ran the mile prior to the race, and then I ran 3 miles after the race-more at a jog, 11-12 minute miles. But I did get the 3 miles in, so this was a 17 mile run day for me!

Nice consistent running. Excellent job

maybe the humidity by that lake was throwing you off...i've been there alot and it can be thick!

look at those miles though, very consistent for feeling like "lead"; you held a great pace. 2:03 is a great finish for a summer half!

:banana: great job kimba--17 mile day to boot :banana:

Great job! :thumbsup:

nicely done.

Nice job Kimba. That is the way to keep working it even when it doesn't feel good. Days like that one should make your fall season even better.

Great job! The toughest races are the ones when you realize early on it's not your day and you find a way to stick with it. Your splits were amazingly consistent for someone with lead legs. I'm willing to bet it was the humidity that did your goal in, especially being sheltered from the wind which wouldn't help cool you off any more.

Katt could not have said it any better. A good race, and it will pay off in your future races.

:thumbsup:

Great job!

Sounds like an excellent first half to me! Good job.

Nice consistent running. Excellent job
exactly my thoughts...nice and consistant. Was this your first 1/2, Kimba? Your training sounds as if it's been going so well, so I think you just had an off day. Still, nice run, considering how you felt during the race! :thumbsup:

Nicely done. Nothing like maintaining a consitancy like that! Well done!