I am currently pregnant and I am doing some research into prenatal tests, and considering whether to get any. One of the things they test for is digeorge syndrome, and I wanted to know about the life expectancy for children born with digeorge syndrome, mainly just for informative purposes? Can anyone tell me more about this?

Because the symptoms of digeorge syndrome vary greatly on a case to case basis, the life expectancy also varies a lot. Some people with digeorge syndrome can live normally, whereas others will have heart defects, kidney abnormalities and feeding difficulties as babies. Psychosis and schizophernia are also often part of digeorge syndrome.

My 7 year old grandson has recently been diagnosed with diGeorge syndrome.  He was a premature baby (born at 33 weeks) and has always suffered from colds as well as asthma.  Now my daughter seems to want to wrap him up in cotton wool.  Is that necessary?  They live in Southern Queensland, Australia, where it gets very cold in winter.