My great nephew was born with one lung, heart on the right and a narrow trachea(which could be a result of tubes down his throught when in hospital with bronchial infections). He catches cold all the time, gets out of breath and becomes very wheezy. He's due to have an operation to sort out the narrow trachea to improve his breathing in October when he's two. I know this is major surgery. How dangerous is it, and wht kind of life lies ahead with only one lung, even if the trache is corrected? How common is being born with one lung? Thanks

My son was born with only one lung and had a few minor problems in the beginning, but is doing fine now. He is growing and doing everything that any other baby can do!

My daughter was born with only her left lung. She is now 17 and has been extremely healthy. We have been so blessed. She has always been involved with physical activity. Basketball, softball, dancing and cheerleading. She does get shot winded sooner than most kids, however, she had done amazing.

My daughter was born with the same condition, missing her right lung, dextrocardia(heart on the right side), tracheal and also tracheal rings, she just did her surgery to correct her trach she's doing ok. She still has a really hard time breathing and also still on the ventilator. She is now 6 months old. She spent her whole life in the hospital. She should be getting her surgery to correct her tracheal rings in about a month or so. I would like to know how your great new phew is doing after his surgery.

Hi, my son was born with large vsd(bottom wall of heart missing) and left lung not connected(missing pulmonary valve) none of this was detected but i knew something was wrong. he had all classic symptoms of a heart baby. he had open heart surgery at nearly 5 months.he began to thrive better afterwards but had scoliosis of the spine which twisted his ribcage and unfortunately this was crushing his working lung. He had surgery to straighten his spine and after 6 months his plaster came of.We've never looked back!hes never of nursery with illness,although he does get colds easily.hes just got his first bike ,hes nearly 5, but was unable to ride a bike due to getting out of breath. im so pleased and don't treat him any different to my other two.i would like more info on long term health if anyone can help.

My daughter was born 2 days ago with only her left lung. I am scared and have so many unanswered questions but mostly am scared about her future, her prognosis, quality of life, etc. Any information, similar stories, expereinces are greatly appreciated. Will she be able to play like a normal child, be in public places, go to school, swim, etc.......THANK YOU!

I would like to give you some words of encouragement. Our daughter turned 18 this past August and was born with only her left lung. She has had a very normal life participating in basketball, softball and gymnastics. As she entered into junior high, she became interested in dancing and cheerleading. She has been the captain of our varsity cheerleading team both junior and senior year of high school. She is an outstanding cheerleader and dancer. Hope this makes you feel better. If you would like to email us, please do so at

Hi, My daughter is 6 months old and is diagnosed with agensis of the upper left lobe of the lung. After reading everyones comments, it gives me hope. Thank you all! The person that has the daughter that is 18 years old -I would love to especially discuss it more with you if you are willing in order to give me even more hope and encouragement. Thank you and let 2010 bring great health and joy to everyone.

To the lady with the 18 year old daughter...i would LOVE to speak to you further but your email address did not show up. PLEASE email me. Thank you!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I'm currently 20 yrs old/male. I was diagnosed with having a heart condition about 4 years ago. It was a condition since birth. It wasn't till recent years, that I learned more about my condition. I too, have a missing pulmonary valve, and heart murmur. One lung working perfectly normal, and the other not. The other lung is only kept alive by smaller veins from my heart. Even though the other lung is alive, I can't use it. Meaning I only have one lung truly working. My doctor says it was from birth. As a child I rode bikes, ran track, everything. It wasn't till my teens that I noticed something was different, I would get tired quickly after exercising, or doing something strenuous for long periods of time. I would lose my breath after running, sometimes pass out. It wasn't a great feeling, I felt scared. That's when I decided to go see a doctor. Through my family doctor, I was directed to my current cardiologist. He had heard of the condition from a convention.

As of today, I'm living a healthy normal life. My cardiologist says I'm healthy, and that all I should do is strengthen my heart with cardio workouts. That's exactly what I'm doing, I've seen improvements to how long i can work out before I get tired. I've learned to notice when body is telling me I'm close to reaching my limits, and I have tell myself I have to slow down. But overall I'm fine.

It's always nice to hear such stories. I do have that hope for my daughter! Thanks for sharing!

My daughter was born with one lung and has dextrocardia. She has led a perfectly "normal" childhood thus far. However, she was hospitalized several times up until the age of 2 for various respiratory illness (RSV, bronchiolitis) which are very common in children of that age. She is now 4 1/2 years old and attends a dance class once a week where they teach ballet and tap and she keeps up with the other girls her age. We found out about her condition while I was still pregnant so the proper arrangements were made for her birth and she only required hospitalization for jaundice. I loved reading the stories above knowing that there are others out there just like her, even though I tell her she is special! Her cardiologist and pulmonologist told us that there are plenty of people that don't even know that they have one lung until they have a chest xray later in life! That is just mind blowing to me. Once again thanks to everyone who has commented on this page, it makes the world seem a little smaller knowing others have been through and are going through the same thing!!

There is a new group created on yahoo for those with one lung. Trying to see how many people we can find to join. Go to yahoo and search for a group called One Lung Wonders.

I am posting this for one of my friend. She has attained to age of getting married and her parent have started seeking alliance for her.
She was also born with One Lung (left) with Heart tilted towards right with right side lung partially developed. I would like to know if there would be any complications in her marriage life or during pregnancy.

All these years she has been leading a very very normal life, no complications. And she does regular yoga and pranayama.
Please let me know if there would be any complication after marriage ? Also are congenial defect genetic ?

I value your replies.

Thanks

....Contd

Also I would like to know if it is fine to do Air Travel with one lung ? How about visiting snowy areas (places like canada , UK etc...)?
Will there be any difficulty in doing any of these tasks ?