I have been an avid pot smoker, cigarette smoker and drinker for 12 years. When I became pregnant I quit smoking cigarettes and drinking completely, but only cut back on the amount of marijuana I smoke. I maybe smoke pot 3-4 times a week and only 1-2 hits off a pipe each time. I never exceed the 2 hits. Yet I have people telling me that once the baby is born I could be turned into CPS...I am not a bad person, I am very responsible, I work, pay my bills, nobody would even know that I smoked unless I told them. But now with all the talk my fiance is worried and I have stopped smoking in my last month of pregnancy. He still smokes which makes it harder on me...I want to know what will make CPS come after me, and how often would I have needed to smoke for traces to show in my baby??

The only way that CPS can get involved in your business is if you have the baby and they do a drug test at the hospital and it comes back positive. So my suggestion would be to stop smoking by your last two months just to be on the safe side in case you may go into labor sooner. My Sister In Law went through the same situation with both kids.

CPS wouldn't be my major concern right now. They need proof and the only way for that is a screening when the baby is born. I would worry about the long term affects on my baby. Their are studies being conducted on children of moms who smoked pot during pregnancy.
Such studies indicate that these kids could develope emotional issues, learning disabilities, behavioral problems, social problems and breathing problems. Asthma is associated with this, as well as ADD and ADHD.
Why in the world would anybody want to jepardize their babies for their own benefit. I guess i don't understand.
You may work and pay your bills, but what about that baby?
My daughter smoked up the whole 9 months with my grandson. He is beautiful but a wreck. He can not sit still for more than 5 minutes and laughs in your face when you correct him.
She was freakin high when she went into labor for him. I was totally disgusted with her and her rotten choices. I don't know, it's your life and your business, but if your child has any problems later on as he/she gets older, you can maybe blame yourself.

just so you know all of those things can happen to a baby even if the mother takes good care of her self and does no drugs and does not smoke. I have a 5 year old daughter who is adhd and is moving around non stop all the time and has problems listening to ppl when she is corrected even though we teach her between wrong and right so you cant just assume smoking pot causes all of these things because then i should have smoked pot if i wanted my daughter to have came out opposite of everything you claimed pot did to your grandson. i think ppl should do what is best for them. I smoke now through out my pregnancy with my second child because it is the only thing that eliminates morning sickness for me and i can actually function with out being sick every 5 minutes and can eat food and not be sent to a hospital to be on an iv...

Excuse me dear Guest, but i did NOT say that smoking pot made my grandson develope complications, i said it could have contributed to it. And i also said that if the child has any problems thru his/her life, mom could MAYBE blame herself!!!
Also, i have a 20 year old who was extremly ADHD, i smoked cigarettes, pot twice, thru my pregnancy with her. Now, i can possibly blame myself for that one as i smoked quite a bit and so did her dad as well as any one that came into our home. I have 4 grandsons by the way, 2 are ADHD, the second one was just recently diagnosed. The 8 year old was diagnosed a while back. Now i have a 15 month old who is acting just like the other 2 boys as well as my older daughter did a long time ago. The 11 year old is fine. Both of their moms smoked up on a regular basis (pot)
As i said, your life, your business, but this person is obviously concerned and knowing that something could happen (legally) that is why she asked.
If smoking pot during your pregnancy is working for you, so be it. Like i said, your life, your business.

I think its very selfish to smoke pot during your pregnancy. you can never be too sure that it won't affect your baby!!! Why on earth would you want to chance that? So what if people have told you they did it and their baby is fine. disgusting!

Stats also show that if you do a drug before you pregnant then you should not stop completely because if you body is use to it and you just stop it send your body through withdraws. I dont think nothing is wrong with smoking weed on occasions but i dont think you should be high 24/7. smoking weed does different things for certain people. like the girl above said it stops her from having morning sickness, for some it keeps them calm, and helps them stay sane. I love smoking weed I have been smoking since i was about 16, but i care too much to risk anything. so i quit. But i do not like it when people judge or say weed can be the cause of your child having ADHD. You yelling and doing crazy sh*t can cause your child to develop ADHD. Im so tired of people saying that this can cause this and that can cause this, because it no true. Im sure no scientist have impregnated a women and forced her to smoke weed so they can find out the effects. I think weed is a better drug and helps you function better than other drugs.

I didn't make the rules hon. Read up on drugs, look at the possible complications.
This young lady was not judged at all (by me) i just answered her question. You said "yelling" and doing crazy "sh*t" can cause your child to become ADHD!!! You are wrong again. The only part where you may be right is the "crazy sh*t" remark, smoking pot while pregnant falls into that category.
I'm sorry that you are tired of people saying this and people saying that when it comes to drug abuse, but like i said, i didn't make the rules, it's a simple fact and that's it.

Actually there was a study done on humans:
"Melanie Dreher, RN, PhD, FAAN explains her cannabis and pregnancy research study in Jamaica. Pregnant women and their children were studied for over ten plus years, both marijuana smokers and non-smokers were included in the study. One of the first scientific studies of the effects that cannabis may have on pregnancy and the child's development thereafter."
You can find the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WorIM0RhA

It basically shows that the children with pot smoking mothers did not develop any differently than their non-smoking counterparts.

As for this whole ADHD argument... ADD and ADHD are real in some children (who often end up being BiPolar or having some other psychiatrict disorder later in life), the causes are not truly known. Many children though, are also not ADD or ADHD but just have been diagnosed this by uninformed doctors wanting to make an extra buck prescribing medication. Often if you look at those children home life, you can often see a very dysfunctional family - where there is no discipline or inconsistent discipline. There is much controversy over it, and also with pot use during pregnancy.
From all the research I have ever personally found, all of it (besides the above video) were either done on animals-rats (very unreliable), or were not regulated. It's mostly theory.
So unless you're out partying, eating nothing but c**p, drinking and doing hardcore drugs. I don't think you should blame yourself for much of anything. Cigarette smoking is PROVEN to be worse, it's legal and some women smoke a pack a day throughout their pregnancy.
Sure you can blame yourself, and feel pitiful forever... or maybe you can deal with the card you are dealt instead and not bother looking for "answers" and just be the best mom you can be. As said above, even the healthiest of mothers end up having a messed up child. Luck of draw.
At any rate... I hope yours will be happy and healthy! :)

Don't be so quick to pass judgment on those who smoke marijuana they could be alcholics, or doing far worst.

I dont necessarily believe it is good to smoke while pregnant, however I think one needs to be a little more attentive to these studies. Pay attention to who funds them, or who funds the ones who fund the ones who fund the study, often they are connected to pharmasutical (sp) companies who have an obvious interest in keeping people from using alternative drugs. often there just propaghanda studies by the anti marijuana gestapo. Obviously smoking marijuana chronically during pregnancy is not good, however I find it hard to believe that occasional use is negative. Not to mention there are far more reasons for a mother to use it then selfish need to get high, perhaps she becomes horribly ill and doesnt want to take truely dangerous pharmesuticals, perhaps she suffers from horrible insomnia and does not want to endanger the baby with perscription sleep medication (personal experience), and

Just an FYI:

This is something I am dealing with now. I was an avid pot smoker til I was pregnant with my son. I quit smoking the day I found out I was pregnant. My pregnancy and child progressed with no problems. He is now 10 years old.

However, I have recently remarried and my husband's ex-wife smoked pot daily with both of their children. The first child is now 4 soon to be 5. She is a special needs child. She has a developmental issue where her brain can't process all of her motor functions at the same time. She learned how to use the big girl potty at the age of 4. She learned how to talk at the age of 3 almost 4. There is no doubt when you are around her that she has the mental capacities of someone half her age. She also has been diagnosed with ADHD and they want to put her on medicine for it. She does not listen and does not care about punishment. She will do wrong just because she wants to. She will not be able to attend kindergarten this year, because she is speaking at a 2 year old level and can't pass the tests to get in. Doesn't make me love her any less but pisses me off that her mother did this to her.

Their second child was born May 12, 2007 unfortunately he died May 13, 2007. Because her excessive use of pot caused the baby not to develop properly. He was born with misshapen and immature lungs.

Now we are going thru a lawsuit with her constant harrassment and threats. She has multiple times denied visitation. So guess what? We got a lawyer and they started asking questions. And this all came out. And I can tell you that not only can CPS become involved but they can take your children with very little proof. Not to mention the fact that the lawyer has informed us that he has the right to file a wrongful death suit against her. So yes you can get in big trouble, you just have to see the big picture. Did she think this would happen 5 years ago, while she was married and so happy. I'm sure she didn't.

And remember guys, I was an avid pot smoker before my son was born. I started smoking it at the age of 13 and became pregnant with my son at 25. So I was smoking it for 12 years. I was just mature enough to realize that my son is a hell of a lot more important than a high that doesn't last long enough to be worth it. I have not touched pot since I found out I was pregnant and guess what? My life has dramatically improved. I have a more stable job, making 3 times as much money, a healthy little boy and pregnant with my second and a husband that understands my distaste for anyone that would put pot before their own child. And yes that is what you are doing. If you are not willing to give up pot, then you shouldn't be having babies.

To the Grandmother. I have 4 sons. 1 is very hyper, drives me nuts. I smoked with all of them. They are ALL in advanced classes. I just hope your daughter does't read your comment. That is very sad the way you spoke of her. With a mother like you I can see why she turned to weed.

obviously after reading all these post smoking pot while pregnant has or has not affected people in any way. nobody knows. I believe the smoking can affect your babys breathing, just don't smoke everyday. smoking while pregnant does not diform or give your baby syndrom at all. pot is givin out as medical for people who have cancer or pains its a freakin over the counter med. I dont think smoking pot while pregnant is bad. it doesnt give your child any future problems what so ever thats the parents parenting and lifestyle. children look at the world diffrently then we do and grow up the way they see it.

I had a friend that smoked pot her whole preg. til 3 wks before the baby was born. Baby is smart attentive with no health problems at all. She is now almost 2... but cps will become involved if u have a test done and u r possitive, some dr.s will test just for that info. I got tested with my preg 19yrs ago and didnt smoke. Ask ur doc and see if they do, if so quit about a month before the baby is born, also keep it minimal so it passes quickly. Sometimes thats all u can do to help with the naus, and irritability. Also take red rasp for an easy birth and naus, my son was born in 4hr 45min. it really helps and may help with the naus as well.... Good luck to u