I have been getting severe cold/flu like symptoms. I first got sick around christmas, again just after, and a third time at the end of January. I am a teacher, but this is definitely more than I've ever been sick before. I usually get a fever/chills, body aches, runny nose that usually turns to a dark yellow mucus, and mild headache. No nausea. I have been able to kick the illness by taking lots of vitamin C, and then something else homeopathic - this time Old Indian Cherry Bark Syrup. The first cold lasted over a week, and the other two, I bounced back very quickly. I am wondering if it's just the winter, or if this could be a sign of a more serious health problem.

I've been having the exact same thing...first I got cold/fly symptoms in around New years..then beginning of february now again Mid-March..I also dont have a history of prolonged sickness so this is very disconcerting to say the least..did you ever get a helpful answer to this?

Hi, does anyone know what this is? A, ton of vitamin C does help. This is month 3 for me, and I'll feel great one day and can't believe it's back the next day. I'm on my 5th time in the 3 months. Nobody I've spoken with has any info..................help please.......... :-(

this has been like a bad dream that keeps coming back. i got sick the day before christmas and was down for a week then again at the end of january which i took augmentin for because it turned into an ear infection. after 10 days i was done with the pills and then got sick the very next day again with the exact same symptoms. starts with a sore throat hurts to swallow then goes up into my nose next day with 24 hours of throat reprieve (soar throat is the worst of the symptoms) then it stays in my nose and sinus and settles in my chest. very dry non productive cough almost spasmodic and much worse at night.
i recovered from that third incarnation after about 4 days and then 4 days later i started the whole cycle over again and now am in the dry chest sinus phase. i have been trying everything imaginable but no luck and now i have to fly to south africa for a family emergency on a 16 hour flight and i am so week from 3 months of illness. any suggestions or clarity would be so appreciated.

I am on my fifth cold/flu since the end of December 2008 and did research and decided to eat foods that boost the immune system. Yogart, Garlic, Multi vidimins, fruits-veggies, and a natural herb called Golden Seal helps but should be taken in accordince with the recommended dose. >:(

Same with me. Had a two week cold that started out as a sore throat and quickly morphed into one of the worst head colds I have ever had. Towards the end of the cold, the point where the mucus secretion started to abate it hit me again. Body aches, massive congestion, sneezing....the works. Work peers are complaining about their colds also recurring.

I wonder if it's the same virus and this is how it runs its course or these are different viruses with similar symptons.

One treatment that has helped me, besides standard cold medication, vitamin C and lots of fluids, has been nasal irrigation. I use the Netti Pot and have for several months now and it seems to help relieve the sinus congestion and pain.

The same things has also happened to me. I got sick around last November 2007 with flu like symptoms. I got over them and developed some kind of mild lung infection with morning coughs and wheezing.
A few weeks later I had flu symptoms again with body aches, fever, stuffed sinus etc. After a week they went away again.
Again the coughing and morning sinus congestion along with sore throat remained.
In December I went to see a doctor and he gave me some antibiotics but apparently they have not worked.
It is now June 08 as I write this and I have gone through this repeated cycle three more times. Presently all I have is some mild coughing along with occasional phlem that is usually clear but sometimes yellow in color.
I mostly feel fine but I can feel that there is some kind of infection still going on in my lungs and sinus.

This is so strange. Do any of you live in NC? I've had the same issue. Around Easter, I got a sore throat and ear pain, then body aches and fever. I had sinus pressure but no mucus for a week. Took Amoxy for 10 days. Fever went away but the sinus issue and sore throat remained for nearly a month. Less than two months goes by and I get another sore throat and lots of congestion. Two weeks into that, I get the same body aches and fever all over again. This time the fever didn't last as long but the sore throat and congestion remains. Very strange!

I too have this ongoing flu which is driving me nuts.

Been ongoing for about 3 months now. On & off, I feel like I got over the whole thing ( a few times) and then bam, back again.

Most of the symptoms described previously on this thread are me. We live in New Zealand (Auckland) and I was beginning to wonder if it was the geography. Starting to think that maybe the water was bad or something.

I have had flu before but this is crazy.

The worst of it all is that a lot of the time I feel so very tired and flat. When I get the sinus stage I feel like I can’t think properly.

Went to our doctor recently and he conducted a FULL medical, blood & stool tests, the full monty and all is okay.

All I know is that this bug keep bouncing back and I am at my wits end with this.

Surely there must be some answers to this in this day and age. For goodness sake we have probes in Mars.

As you can gather, I am somewhat short fused too.

Looking for an answer

Cheers

i am currently experiencing the same thing. this is my 3rd cold in 4 months..a friend of mine is experiencing the same problem...its an absolute joke!!

I have been to India at the end of December and the beginning of January, and have had some minor cold there.. Once I got Back to the States, I got the worst case of flu I can remember having. I never usually get flu, just some cold. For example, last year I had one minor cold. Year before that same...
Then later this year in March I had another case of stomach flu and it had had symptoms of the first one, but milder. Then one month later, another case of mild stomach flu. And Just recently I am fighting another one, has mild symptoms of flu or cold. Mild temperature, terrible body ache, and sore throat. But no running nose in any of the cases, some mild cough.

When I did usually get sick I would get sore throat, running nose, then cough.. Not this time. I am in Chicago, any one have any answers?

PS. I am pretty active, I go to gym, bike, try to eat healthy.. etc.,

I can totally relate. 13 daysj ago I had a sore throat, a bad one! also a plugged nose, a dry cough that I think went into asthma. I took antibiotics just incase, after 12 days I felt better although I still had the dry cough, or asthma, however my throat did not hurt but it looked like someone stirred it with a fork! Two days after stopping antiobiotics the throat is back, on one side! The asthma remains but is better, not so many coughing fits! Now I am back on antibiotics, gargle with salt water. My husband had the same thing, he brought it to me, he seems to feel fine. He seems to be the one to bring these things to me, he is retired so am I and there are no children around. Amazing how we get this c**p from I guess just grocery shopping. We take extra care to wash hands, etc. I had to flu shot, guess it wasn't the right one!!!

I had exactly the same thing two months ago. i had a bad cold at the beginning of May. ten days later just as i thought i was getting over it, bang it hit me again. then it kept going like this every ten to fourteen days, got better, then got sick again. I even got antibiotics and it still kept coming back. so finally, i don't know if it is coincidence or what, i started to take a kind of pills called Echinacea along with my vitamins. it's a kind of herbal found in north america. it helps body to fight against sickness if you are sick, and keep your immune sysytem up if you are healthy. after i started taking them, i started get better and finally over this nasty reoccuring cold or flu or whatever it was.

I NEED HELP, I have been all over the internet, to 3 doctors, 4 hospital visits and no one seems to have any answers, It started when my daughter was 2 weeks old and has been comming back every 2-3 sometimes 4 weeks for the last year. Some times I get it as well. It is NOT Allergies!!!!! and I am tired of not being heard and being told that I need to put my children on allergy med. We have lived in three homes, and have just moved into a new home that we built. Have lived in different areas. My son usually gets it the worst and it ends up in breathing difficulties. If there is anyone that has any answers or has come across any help it would be great to know. my Email is _[removed]_
thanks