hi all.. I had quit smoking pot when I was about 5 or near 6 months pregnant, but now that I am just now 8 months pregnant, I hit 2 joints.. it wasn't very good weed but its still weed lol.. anyways, I was wondering when I have the baby.. and they do drug test, are they going to test only my blood, my urine, or both?? I've made a huge mistake hitting that joint, but I was just wondering.. if anyone knows what kind of test they give for newborns, i don't know what i'll do if something shows up and my baby is taken away..

If you dont do it anymore and drink lots of water you'll have it out of your system by the time the baby is born.

By the way they won't take your baby away for testing positive for weed. My cousin was 3 days overdue and someone told her smoking weed would bring labor on. She tested positive, and they called CPS. CPS didn't take her baby. They came over (she lives with me) and interviewed me, and made sure the house and *******was okay. And they closed the case.

**edited by moderator**

it doesnt cause mental retardation. marijuana's effects on babies hasn't been proven. they dont even know how dangerous it is yet other than it deprives the fetus of oxygen. but it definitely does not cause the baby to be retarded

it is selfish and irresponsible to smoke pot while your pregnant in risk of harming your child.iam a habitual wine drinker but while pregnant i did not because for nine months i figured i could sacrifice my own habits for my unborn child. are they going to test you who knows..most likely if your on medical.

***EDITED BY MODERATOR***

I just want to say that the comments that some of you have posted in response to the pregnant girl are not only immature, but counterproductive. Are you really concerned for the baby? If so, then don't make insults that will merely serve to make her insulted and angry enough that she will totally disregard your opinion. That does not serve in the baby's best interest, it only gratifies your ego.
To the pregnant woman: Your baby will probably be just fine, don't worry. It is very true that the effects of smoking weed while pregnant are unknown, but consider this: If there is even the slightest chance that it will harm the baby, is it a good thing to do? If it is not known what it does to the baby then that does not make it a fact that it will not harm it, that is also unknown. Also, deprivation of oxygen can cause devastating effects to an unborn or born baby after a while. Please, do what is best for your baby and do not smoke any more while you are pregnant. I know you want what is best for your baby and have a genuine concern, or you would not be posting this at all. Also, if marijuana were to show up on tests, they will likely see by the faint presence of it that you have stopped, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Good luck, and congratulations on bringing a new life into this world!

i am disgusted at the way people think you can not harm your child by having one or two puffs of a joint a day iwho ever think that must think that they are perfect but let me tell you no one is perfect how is having a few puffs of a joint to a glass of wine daaaaa

hi i was hust reading the article the young lady wrote about how she stop smoking weed at six months. first it a hard topic to talk about and myself personally just found out that i was pregnant i was four weeks when i found out and i was scared because a couple weeks before i was smoking weed and i used to chief like an indian but iwas so scared and worried about my fetus. i mean i had found out after i was smoking very heavily the weekend before. i just pray to God and ask him to bring my baby here healthy. im two months and i have quit smoking cigarettes and try to avoid second hand. but i have hit a blunt or two here and their and im not proud of it.

No. Smoking marijuana during pregnancy may affect your baby's growth and the development of his nervous system. Studies have shown that children who were exposed to marijuana during pregnancy sometimes have problems focusing their attention and solving problems.

Children of heavy pot users may also have problems with short-term memory, concentration, and judgment. (There's no evidence so far, however, that marijuana use during pregnancy causes attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).

I am a 24 year old mother of 3 with one on the way. My first pregnancy I did everything by the book eating, vitamins, exercise everything they tell you to do. Before I got pregnant with my first son I was smoking weed. Then I
stopped as soon as I found out I was pregnant. Then with my second son I didn't just stop I still smoked a joint every know and then to relax. Then with my third I did not stop smoking at all. My first son suffers for ADD, and Crohn Disease. And that was doing it my the book. My second son only suffers from is hard headedness. and my third well he is the smartest of them all at 2 years old he is talking in sentences and the most indepedent child I know he does everything on his own and I mean everything including going to the restroom in the toilet. So I honestly don't think that smoking can harm you child anymore then doing by the book. If your child is going to have a problem it doesn't really make a difference what you do just dont smoke crack that will kill anything. My doctor prescribed me vicodine while I was pregnant for pain I was having and that made me feel just the same as smoking a joint. I am not saying that you should just go out and smoke. but if this is something that you have already done and you want reassurance that you child is not harmed I think that you and your child will be alright just remember anything can happen smoking or no

17 states have enacted civil laws making it possible for authorities to take away the children of pregnant women who test positive for drugs. The Ohio Supreme Court may take up the issue soon. So far, hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of children have been taken from their mothers as the result of a single positive drug test, according to the Center for Reproductive Law and Policy.

The most bitter battleground, however, is South Carolina, the only state so far to have explicitly extended criminal child-abuse laws to cover fetuses. Despite directly contrary rulings in numerous other states, South Carolina's Supreme Court declared in 1997 that drug-using pregnant women can be prosecuted criminally -- and sentenced to as much as 10 years in prison.

Dozens of women have since been charged. Just last March, one woman was sentenced to three years in prison for violating her probation by "abusing" her unborn child with cocaine, and another drew a five-year suspended sentence for smoking marijuana while pregnant.

youd have to be a fool to do any kind of unnecessary foreign substance while pregnant. you can argue all you want, "weed doesn't hurt my baby", yadayada but if you think about it, any foreign substance in your lungs besides clean air is a CARCINOGEN, just think about all the carcinogens you take into ur lungs with every selfish gulp or marijuana smoke, not caring a single bit about the new life, helpless, attached to you. You wanna argue, say marijuana never caused cancer, it doesn't matter, your still limiting yourself and your baby to some degree. Instead of taking a walk, cleaning out ur system, staying healthy with good nutrition you decided to have a couple lungs full of toxins. But, thats no where close to whats about to happen next... The THC, quickly penetrates your lungs and then starts binding to you cannabinoid receptors giving you that high feeling you love so much, and you sit there, of course not satisfied, wanting another gulp, fool, and you go on smoking, not paying any attention, lost in a high daze. At the same time of course the baby inside of you, fully dependent on its mother is having his underdeveloped cranium pumped full of all the chemicals you just took in. Think about that, his/her veins are linked to your own dumbas s and all of that just entered HIS BRAIN!! Of course with him all of this is a different story, YOU, the responsible adult is capable of filtering and processing all of this shi t, but your baby is incapable of doing so, rather its being fed this garbage right as his neurons, cells, are trying their utmost best to form the best connections allowing for optimal development. Think about a rose growing in ur garden, and if you water and take care of it daily, it will grow up to be one of the best flowers there. Now imagine littering that flower with joint wraps and cigarettes, saying DIE *****, and not giving enough water, you may not think thats what your doing but from the babies standpoint THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. So there you have it, you finally have ur kid, maybe not retarded, but no einstein or fermat, just an average joe. Thats ok tho, this world is filled with so many of them, average joes. I mean if you could pick ur mother to stay OFF DRUGS COMPLETELY during pregnancy, or JUST SMOKE POT before YOU were born, wouldn't you want her to stay as healthy as possible, stay clean, take walks, not gulp down random toxins

I benn smoking weed for about one year is not that I smoke every second. I JUST Smoke when I Get out of work to relax and on the weekends, but I find out I'm pregnant, some people say that they smoke all the way to nine months and notlhng happens to them. but I know in a way that it does affect your baby. I probably be like a month now or close to be. I'M AFRAID THAT I WILL BE STILL SMOKING/ BUT I AM WILLING TO STOP NOW THAT I'M EARLY INSTEAD STOP WHEN I GET 5 MONTHS. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Smoking weed is not worth any risks or side effects you could give to your baby. if you cant quit smoking for 9 months then you have a problem.Nevermind a preganant mom smoking weed is just triphlant. Big ol belly and your buffin......thats not attrative at all. Give your baby the chance to be normal. there are no known facts of hurting a baby by smoking weed but what if? How terrible would you fell. think about it. I wish you the best and goodluck.

I live in MA and I am pregnant. I want to know if anyone knows if they will drug test my baby or me without telling me? I am going to stop smoking now but I mean I want to make sure that they arn't going to take my son away after he is born. I mean I am afraid thats why I am stopping but I'd feel better if someone could tell me what their expiriences were with this.

This is a tricky subject, im 22 and 3 months pregnant and smoking pot is causing a problem between me and my boyfriend. ive been raised around pot, my mom even smoked through all her 5 pregnancy's and we are all just fine. i smoke pot, i was a "pot head" before i found out i was pregnant and i have cut back on smoking, alot! but somtimes i feel sick or im having trouble sleeping so i want to take a little hit or two, but my boyfriend gets all mad and starts an argument over one hit. i just up and quit smoking cigs, and i dont see why he thinks im always stress free, im not!! infact im stressed rite now. i told my doctor about this issue im having and he said that if i smoke in moderation it wont hurt my baby, he said the stress my boyfriend is putting on me by these arguments was worse for me then taking a hit every now and then.
im mainly upset because he hasn't made any changes on his part and ive changed alot about how ilive. he gets to drink, he gets to dowhatever he wants and i dont. this is his kid to, he needs to support me and quit things with me. is it right that he expects me to change completely but he doesnt have to? i work everyday, he doesnt even work! im just having a stressful, lonley pregnancy and need some advice and support fom someone. if someone has any advice that might help me please let me know......

**edited by moderator**