Prenatal screening revealed that the baby my wife and I are currently expecting might have a genetic disorder, and one of the markers indicated trisomy 18. Of course, we are not sure at this time, but we will have a hard decision to make. Can anyone tell me what the life expectancy is for babies born with trisomy 18?

I have a brother who is 38 1/2 yrs old. He is healthier than I am and he's older. I am told it is all based on an individual. Every case is different . As long as u do ur best, he/she should live a long and healthy life.

Hi there,

First of all I am very sorry to hear that your unborn child might have this serious condition and I hope that at the end doctors will say that it was only a mistake.

You have probably doing research about this condition so you are aware that babies born with this condition can suffer from severe mental retardation.  It is very sad fact that almost 90 % of babies born with this condition die by the age of one.  But every person and baby is different and it is possible, if there is not life threatening conditions, to survive not only the first year of life but to live normal life.

I wish you all the best and I hope that your baby will outbid the statistics.

i have an son with full trisomy 13 his 2 1/2 theres sopport groups out there to help us trisomy 18 mommies and soft. they sure helped me

I was advised that the baby would die in utero, or shortly after being born. That even of the child were born live severe birth defects would prevent him from having any kind of quality of life.. . life support systems, ventilators etc. I was told that the pregnancy put the mothers life in danger, as the further the pregnancy progressed the change of miscarrying would increase chances of having to have emergency surgery. Based on the risk to the mothers life doctors advised that it was too dangerous.