my 4 month old granddaughter was born on methadone. at the time of her birth i was told by nurses not to let her cry without caring for her needs as soon as possible. can you tell me if this should change over a period of time? she is hard to console and is being allowed to cry herself to sleep when social services have visits with her biological father. he is seeking custody. we do not let her cry like that. could this be damaging to her health at some point? what should we expect concerning behavioral problems if any?

THERE ARE NO TLONG TERM EFFECTS> I'm on methadone currently and have just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy who is HEALTHY. he went through withdrawls, and was treated with a type of opium. THERE ARE NO LONG TERM EFFECTS. and it is not true that methadone alone does not cause withdrawals. i have been on methadone for almost two years now, i would have been off if i did not get pregnant. i have had ALL clean urines. i have not used ANY drug. To all of the people who are uneducated about methadone in general and newborns born on methadone: PLEASE, if you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk. LEARN before you do. And everyone- don't listen to people just because they say they are or were on methadone. It saved my life. I was far too addicted to herion to detox without any long term care- not just methadone- counselors, groups, etc. . And we all don't nod out. In fact, most people I know that areon it do not nod out. I DO NOT FEEL HIGH ever. If you are on the right dose, which does not have to be a low dose, I'm not on a low dose, you will not nod out or feel high. Not to say that there aren't people who may be doing this. And for the people that have been on the maintenance program- they usually have been herion addicts for long periods of time- their brains are so wired to herion, the methadone is the only thing that will save their lives. It stopped me from craving drugs. Please do not listen to anyone but a DOCTOR. To the women who "did her research" and learned that methadone clinics keep you to make money- there are non profit methadone clinics. There are clinics that take No payments from people that have no insurance, so you didn't do all your research, did you? It's okay though, the other ignorant people, who said being on methadone it is fear, sefishness, etc., t. obviously are not dfamilar with addiction, or if they are, have not been addicted long term to herion. **YOU CANNOT WITHDRAWAL ON METHADONE WHILE PREGNANT UNLESS YOU ARE UNDER FIFTY ML. - so unless you are a DR., or have heard this directly from one (although there is no doubt in my mind that people would say they did to scare women out there) do not state otherwise, Numberous Doctors- at my methadone clinic AND my gyno's told me this. You are disgusting for saying bad things about ANYONE who got pregnant on methadone. It is worlds better than herion. and don't assume that all mothers on methadone just switched from herion, either. like i said i've been on meth. for 2 years, my baby was an accidental pregnancy, although i hate saying that, he is the most beautiful thing in the world. ALL MOTHERS on meth STAY STRONG- along with all you people on methadone and everyone else out there trying to get / stay clean. DON't GO ON THESE INTERNET OPINION SITES FOR INFO. - UNLESS IT IS TO OPEN THE MINDS OF IGNORANT PEOPLE-TALK TO PROFESSIONALS!!!

**there are also actually studies being performed at te yale newh haven hospital in ct, right now , regarding children who were born on methadones high intelligence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ***

P.S.- yes my son cried during the withdrawals, was more alert, had loose stools- but he was NOT IN PAIN or suffering, just more uncomfortable, ACCORDING TO THE DOCTOR- and that was before they started to medicate him and wean him down- SO IT IS NOT PUTTING THE BABY PAIN and even if the baby goes cold turkey- MOST of the battle of a withdrawal is psychological. don't forget that- babies don't have our mental addiction(and that sparks a lot of the physical part). Please educate yourselves.
my son was also in there a lot longer than i thought- not because he wasn't doing well, it was just the process of how they do the detox- they raise them to a comfortable dose- REGARDLESS of how much their mother was on, regardless of how much the baby got from the mother. and then VERY SLOWLY WEAN DOWN. so how long a baby is at the hospital may have nothing to do with how bad the withdrawal is every time.

Another thing- like i said, my son went through withdrawal and i did not use any illicit drugs, alcohol, or nicotine. so do not think because a baby goes through this the mother is using other drugs. that is a sad and stupid judgement.

DO NOT try to make us feel guilty.

BREASTFEEDING IS FINE- there is close to nothing in the breast milk, and in some cases it helps the babies withdrawal, but it is also safe to breastfeed a baby who didn't go through withdrawal and also one that has and has been weaned off and is going home. the baby will not get "addicted" again- which a lot of misinformed people think.

Someone wrote methadone made them have no emotions, a bunch of other c**p. WHAT other mental problems were they suffering from that they may not have listed? I know everyone is different, but most people have plenty of emotions. I am not sleepy or groggy, either. i think she was afraid of having everyone on here judge her. Well, i can keep writing forever- but don't fear methadone for you or your babies- im proof that it works and im not "afraid to get off it". ive been clean two years- have a gorgeous healthy baby, great husband, a car, a house, an awesome job, i go to school ....i Have it all and methadone helped me get it back. When I feel ready I will get off it. It is NOT A DRUG and idiots like you see one stereotypical "drug addict" on methadone and think everyone is like that and they are so wrong. and sad.

TO PEOPLE THAT BROUGHT BABIES HOME: the dr.'s will wait from 48-72 hrs. for signs of withdrawal- crying, loose stools, tense muscles, inability to focus, excessive sucking- if they don't display these signs in this period- they go home- they may have VERY MINOR symptoms at home- if they become worse go to the hospital.

ONE more thing, for now, lol ******* I asked very many Dr.'s about the babies and the methadone- and the ones that actually know about it are the neonatalogists in the NICU. so get ahold of a NICU Dr. because i was misinformed by many other doctors except the NICU ones. And another thing- when it comes to time- there is never a definite answer.

This is to the lady who just went off, are you a DR? You are being extremely hypacritical. You say not to go on internet sites and get advise because it is useless and give by complete idiots. But yet here you are giving advise. I am a LCDC at a methadone clinic in Texas. It is a state funded clinic and extremely good. I am also a current methadone user. I take only 20 mg a day and had a child on methadone. There are some things that yes i agree with but more things that I think are rude, spiteful and flat out dumb. YOU CAN NOT BREASTFEED A BABY WHILE ON METHADONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does not help the baby with the withdrawl process. It will just keep them on it and reciving little doses. I really hope that you didnt do that to your child and what ever DR or NICU nurse told you that should have their license revoct. Also it isnot advised to detox while you are pregnant. It can be done but isnot advises. I detox from 30mg to 10 while pregnant with my son. But had careful monitoring from the Dr at my clinic that was weekly visits. Also had weekly sonos to check progress. You said that inernet sites are dumb and useless what are you doning on it typing up advise. People come to these sites to get advise and help not to be judged or put down by someone like you. You say to do your research take your own advise. There are people on these sites that are addicts, non users people trying to help their friends families ect. Their are people who utilize these sites to try to understand addiction. So why dont you keep you opinions to yourself unless they are helpful. Or in that case actually are correct. IF you feel I am wrong about breastfeeding withdrawls ect. I would like you to do some research and post it on here with a link that says you are correct. To the woman who originally wrote the question. Children on methadone like with my son are a little hard to calm down which will go away in time you just need to be patient keep your head up and stay calm. Children born on METHADONE are more likely to have ADD or ADHD which was proven in a study done by DR. Thomas Rapanotti done back in the early 90s. Yet now a days what kid isnt a little like that. In our socitiy people want to slap lables on everything just remeber each child is different and has different needs. Just keep you head up and speak with your dr about any concerns you may have GOOD luck

you also need to get ur facts straight, and if you work at a clinic , I feel sorry for the patients who come there. You should seek advice from a doctor and not get on here and give totally wrong information to people seeking help. You can breastfeed and it IS actually better for the baby. Get your facts straight or get over yourself!!!!!!!

The american academy of pediatrics deems breast feeding compatible while on methadone maintenance. Yet each case is individual because we are all individuals, as our these babies. This comes from a licensed physician assistant currently treating an infant in this situation.

NO, but SPOILING her can. methodone is out of an adults system in 2-4 days thats when she needed special care and who lets a 4mo cry anyway?????????? I think u were great to take the responcibility of your daughter I wonder how everything worked out???

i think it is very selfish if you are on methadone and pregnant, why the hell would you want your baby an addict just because you are that is sick and selfish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  i don't care what your excuse is as soon as you found out you was pregnant you should have quit the methadone that baby comes first no mater what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jj in portland oregon... You really have know idea do you?? You do realise that by stopping methadone while pregnant ESPECIALLY within the first twelve week leaves you highly likely to have a miscarrige and after twelve weeks early labor (which would bring on a hell of alot more problems then babies being medicated for the first couple of weeks of their lives..... So is it your advice that women stop the methadone and hope to god they dont kill there unborn baby??? or is it you opinion that women have an abortion instead?? Methadone while pregnant and being properly monitored can be safe, yes babies might need some tretment afterwards but ask that baby when it is old enough to have an opinion he or she would much rather be born and be medicated then never be born at all.... or i it ur opinion that all women on methadone arnt capable in being good mothers becasue if it is then you have a lot of fantastic mothers to answer to!!! Most people that are on methadone safely should be congratulated for turning there lives around not critisied by people like you who, quite frankly have no idea.... And for the pregnant women on methadone who abuse it, well mostly likely methadone isnt the only thing they are abusing. So before you shoot your mouth off you should understand what exactly you are talking about. In fact women who are on epilim need as much monitoring for withdrawal and effects to their babies as women on methadone..... do you want to judge them also???

trying to justify yourself for doing the wrong thing in the first place and dont tell me a baby dont suffer some, at least if they are healthy babies and not on withdrawel they are quite contented its not there choice what there mothers choose to put in there bodies .... so if you had taken the right choices that you should have your children wouldn,t have to go through withdrawel now would they . And yes i am a grandmother fighting to get my grandson out of care because my educated daughter chose the wrong path and decided to use drugs during pregnacy and had to go on methadone also , not to mention the withdrawel symptoms he had to endure through no fault of his own . I have now missed out on 6 weeks of my beautiful grandsons life but il make damn sure i make up for it when i get him back. I find it a very selfish way of making yourself feel better trying to make out these children don't have any pain an recover without problems some babies have lifelong problems , and the main one for my grandson he is going to be bought up without a mother and father now .. and don't tell me im not educated on drugs how much education to you have to know its wrong and illegal.......

You can breastfeed while on methadone!!! I had my daughter on methadone 250 mg I was on when she was born. I breastfed since she was born. my child's withdrawal was minimal. Anyone Who Knows of infant withdrawal knows that scores are used after 2 scores of 8 the infant is started on medication usually morphine & phenobarbital. my daughter's highest score was a 9 and her Dr. said even then he wasn't ready to start her on meds. she never got a higher score and was home in 7 days. she was just like any other infant nothing different. she is 4 months now and I am still breastfeeding. she still has no side effects and sleeps through most nights with the exception of the occasional feeding. you would never know she was born on methadone. there is no rhyme or reason why @ 250mgs my daughters withdrawal was minimal and women whose babies are born at 50mgs are in the nicu for months. every women's body is different and we all metabolize different so do what you feel is best and just so you know a woman gave birth to a baby the same time as my daughter hers was on street drugs (opiates) her child scored well into the 20's and had to be shipped to a special hospital. not to mention DCF is less likely to take custody of a methadone born infant than a drug addicted infant.

You sound so ignorant! I also had my baby on 100mg of methadone and every Doctor, Pediatrician, and Methadone Clinic worker encourages mothers on methadone to breastfeed!!

I am a fostermom that has taken care of these babies. And I try to never let my babies cry if I can help it. When they cry they show more irritability and then more tremors. have some babies need tight swaddling and some babies do not like light. They are withdrawing.... Their insides are shaking. Some babies like bouncers where some can't take obverse stimulation. This is a very sad thing to watch and I would never let my babies lay there and cry. I would hold them and console figure out something to do to maybe help them. Just my opinion and some things I do to help my babies.

To the "mom" who said babies addicted to methadone do not feel pain from withdrawls - RIGHT - we sat by our grandson's bed in NICU - and watched and heard his pain and distress. It was horrible. The loose stools were so bad, his little bottom was raw - the hospital used a special but paste to help heal it. He is now one year old - we are not home free - he has some sensory issues and delayed development - and gets very frustrated. We are doing our best to raise our grandson because his mom and dad can not - please do not think having a baby born addicted to Methadone is fine - it's a powerful drug and can cause many problems for little ones born addicted to it.

i don't think you understand how methadone works. If any woman on methadone has a very high chance of losing the baby. In the 1st trimester you can lose the baby if a mother quits. And after that if a mother tries to quit in 2nd and 3rd trimester they have a high chance of giving premature birth. What ever the mother feels (withdraws) that baby feels. Don't think we want thins cuz if we could stop for our unborn baby any mother would. Jerk. You have no right talking to us like that.

But what do you do with a stupid woman who was buying her methadone off the street, the baby is addicted and under treatment. no only did this woman take so much methadone to get high while in the hospital she dropped the poor little fellow on his head. of course dhs took him and her other children. but i think she should be locked up, the doctors said they don't have a clue how much she was taking since she bought it off of her drug dealer. and to the woman who said it was easier on the baby then herion, the nurses said give them one addicted to that before one addicted to methadone. i care for the little fellow, and it just breaks my heart. i wish i wasn't so old i would try and adopt him myself. to the woman who wants to know how to help her grandchild, have all the paitence you can. he will be fussy, shakes, tummy problems etc this little guy will start to be weaned off of his meds this week, he is 3 weeks old now. about an hr before his 'dose; he starts screaming at top of his lungs, he shakes, legs are drawn up to his tummy. i wrap him snuggley and cuddle him close and if i am lucky he will stop the jerking and quiet down until i can give him the meds. So sorry if i do not feel sorry for any mother who took drugs when pregnant, i think they should put her in jail, take away her methadone and let her feel what her child is going through. the NICU doc said he will be slower then most children. and you are right i was told not to let him cry. as if anyone in right miind would let a newborn cry . if you go to the methadone mfg site they will even caution about taking it when pregnat, that is will cause crainal defects in some children,