Hi, my friend is 56 years old and his doctor diagnosed him liver cirrhosis several days ago. He use to drink very much several years ago but he quit with it and he dont use alcohol for more than 3 years. I was very surprised with such serious diagnose and I would like to know what is life expectancy in such cases.

Hi, liver cirrhosis is terminal stage of liver destruction. In this stage liver cells are mainly replaced with fibrous and fat tissue so livers function is much damaged. It is very difficult to say what life expectancy in such cases is because it depends on way of life but generally about 5 years.

let me tell you something. Do not let anyone tell you you will die and when it will be. I have had liver cirrhosis now for almost seven years and doing well. I had the gastric sleeve and lap band done. I have lost over 100 pounds . Went from a 24 now in a 12 and still losing some. I was so scared at first but I decided to do something about it and not cry any more or fell sorry for my self. Of course I had one of the best Bariatric surgerons there is around here.  Doctor Hasem Elariny.  HE IS LOCATED IN vienna  on cedar lane.. HE WORKS AT FAIRFAX AND FAIR OAKS HOSPITAL..  He and my decision to have the surgery saved my life.  My liver cirrhosis  does not even show up in the test now. Yes I had scaring but the liver function is normal. I have no more sleep apnea ,no high blood pressure, NO MOR DIABETES   I feel great. Of course I take the medication but what works for me ,  is my belief that I will survive to help others not to give up no matter what.   Keep all visits to the doctor check your bloodwork, eat what you are suppose to and do not try to cheat . From day one I have kept my self going because the time I have left in this world I want it to be a Good Quality of life and I am doing just that.   Do not be afraid of what you have been told that it is that you have but instead do something about it. Get all the information from the right doctors OTHERS MAY GIVE YOU THEIR EXPERIENCE but you must decide for yourself what is right for you. Someone once asked me "Are you afraid of having liver cirrhosis? I said well , no one wants to have it but it is what you do with it when you find out you have it that is the most important thing.   Learn all you can. And most of all LADIES AND GENTLEMAN "NEVER GIVE UP'' LIVE YOUR LIFE TO THE FULLEST''''' MY NAME IS JO ANN.................

Hi Jo Ann, I am so glad to have come across your post!! I am getting ready to have the gastric sleeve done this thursday and was diagnossed with cirrohsis in Novemenber of 2011. I thought I was going to die in a matter of months but thru a excellent gastrointologist and barriatrics dr realized that is noit the case. I have normal liver function but do have fatty liver and the other issues such as high bp, diabettes, cholesterol, but I have lost 50 pounds and changed my diet in the last year. I have seen continued improvement in all my labs. Your post has helped reassure me that this procedure of the gastric sleeve is a excellent choice to continue my road to a long healthy life. Thanks agian for sharing. My name is David