What is the life expectancy of someone who has serious kidney disease? If you know anything about this then I would be grateful if you could share the knowledge you have. I have heard that there are different ways of increasing a person's life expectancy, with low-sodium diets and the like, but what is the average?

With completely renal failure, and the best treatment and dialysis, the average life expectancy of a patient would be no more than three to five years. Some people manage to live longer, and alternative treatments also offer hope to some patients. On the whole, the prognosis is bleak. Renal failure always leads to death.

First of all I am so sorry to hear that you or someone in your family has problems with kidneys, and such big problems.

Usually, as gigi has informed you, total renal failure leads to death and it is hard to do anything about it. There are some ways to increase the quality of life of the patient diagnosed with this condition but total recovery is impossible for the time being.

I hope that the problems you or your family member is facing are not that serious and that the prognosis in your case is much better. Anyhow, I hope that you will find some way to help yourself or your family member and that you will keep us posted. Good luck.

When I was 5 i had total renal failure, leading to being paralized all down my left side for a few days, heart briefly stopped and lost memory. Within a month my heart was fine, full use of my body and to normal. When 18 I had to go on dialysis where after 9 months I got a transplant from an uknow doner. 15 years on Im still doing well. So don't lose hope. One thing I would say is I do get lots of sleep and eat well. Hope this gives you some comfort.

Mark