I would like to know something more about recovery from liver transplant. My father has that transplantation surgery done tomorrow and I am so concerned about what might happen. I mean that for the recovery days, I do not even think abut the other, worse possibility. My father always had problems with alcohol that he was fighting hard in last couple of years. And he won, but the legacy of those days remained. So what about that recovery?

After the operation, he will spend several weeks in the hospital, on intensive care at first. There he will be constantly monitored for possible rejection, infections and efficacy of new organ. The liver might be rejected if the organism sees it as a foreign object. Long-term treatment to prevent this possibility is always necessary (medications used in this process are prednisone, sandimune, Prograf). As the recovery goes on, the patient will be released, but will have to check in on almost everyday.