Hi, folks. My father has been diagnosed with diabetes type 2. He is 47 years old and I don’t know this will affect his life. I would like to know how long life expectancy is for diabetes type 2. Can anyone tell me something more about this? I will really appreciate all your replies considering this. Thanks.

Hi, there. Diabetes type 2 is caused when body “ignores” the insulin that is produced. It is usually treated with diet and oral medications. However, if the condition progresses, then you can expect going on insulin. Life expectancy for diabetics is shorter than for those who do not have this condition. I think that it is 30 to 50% shorter than for non diabetics. If the disease is discovered before the age of 40, the life expectancy is shorter for 8 years. You should consult your father’s doctor for more details. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!