Hi, there. My friend went under cardioversion since his heart does not beat regulalrly. However, this didn’t succeed. His doctor said he should try again. I would like to know how many times an individual can have cardioversion done. I am very interested in that. Thanks for all your replies, guys.

Hello. There is no limitation in number of these procedures. It can be done as many times as it is needed. I have a neighbor that was cardioverted for 6 times! However, it is best that cardiologist find a drug that could keep up sinus rhythm. If this method is used properly, then the risks are lower. Your friend should consult with his cardiologist about this. I hope everything will b all right. Please, let me know if he succeeds it. Bye!

Hello daven,

like zachery already wrote, cardioversion can be performed multiple times in an attempt to restore the normal heart rythm. Sometimes that is not even the choice, because the dangerously irregular heartbeat is life threatening. There are few ways, however, in which cardioversion can be performed, mainly by using electricity, or by using medications.

But, the thing about cardioversion is that it's not permanent solution, at least it isn't for your friend, it seems. So that is why the advice zachery gave you makes a lot of sense - your friend needs to see a cardiologist and get medications which will regulate his heart beat, for example, beta-blockers.

Ablation surgery was performed by an electrophysiologist to correct my a typical atrial flutter/tachycardia.. 150-160 consistent pulse. I took a beta blocker & blood thinner while waiting a few weeks before surgery.  My heart wouldn't convert back on it's own. If I had gone to the doctor within 48 hrs of the flutter starting, they would have tried first the cardioversion but I waited 3 days & that is apparently too late??  I had open heart surgery in 1980 for an atrial septal defect repair. (hole in my heart) 25% of open heart surgery patients end up with arrythmia.  

I have had 8 in the last 18 months.

I've had 41 in the past 3 years, 2 ablation and waiting 3rd. 3 OHS

I am on number 11 tomorrow, 2 ablations, and been paced out 2 times. Nerveracking to say the least as you get nervous that one you get shocked out you may be there again in a week. Tried meds. Nothing works.

41 ECV's is a big number ecspecially within 3 years. 41 times totally zapped? or 41 different incidences.

My cardiologist said we had to wait 30 days before doing another conversion with the paddles. I feel that is an insurance thing.

my fiance has been cardioverted 3 times in the last year and 2 months.
the first cardioversion lasted exactly 1 year.
the second cardioversion lasted 2 months.
the last cardioversion was just done. praying for longer results.
they have increased her beta med to see if that will help. discussion of ablation has begun. we're on the fence about having this done but what other options are there? we ask ourselves, what are the risks of numerous cardioversions.. once she goes into afib she won't come out of it on her own.

What is ablation surgery? I have been cardioverted, about 20 times since 2011, but about 6 times in the past 6 months. The cardioversion used to be good to keep me in sinus rythmn for 6 months to a year. Now its happening more often, and the cause seems to be physical trama or stress related. I have only had two physical issues, so it seems to be almost always stress that brings it on. I thought to myself maybe I should take medications for anxiety. I am beginning to know the emergency staff by name. And I never have to sit in the waiting room. My fast rthymn usually goes no higher than 130. However being in AFIB is very uncomfortable, and stressful in itself.
Do doctors ever post anything on this forum?
Thanks for reading!

Go to Mayo I had 13 in less then a year and 2 ablations. I'm fixed!

I had cardioversion Sept 2016. Lasted for a few seconds. Second cardioversion Oct 2016
Lasted for several minutes. Had mitral valve repair and ablation (PVI) March 2016. Back in AFIB 3 days later. Another cardioversion 2 weeks ago lasted 30 hours. Having another cardioversion on 5 weeks.

Hi very interested in what problems you have been having and reason for 3 rd ablation as I myself waiting on 2 nd ablation and had lots of emergency cardioversion

Antiarrhythmics are often more harmful than they are good. I've been on several such as amiodarone it wrecked my lungs I have 50% lung capacity of what I used to have. I have been cardioverted 7 times in one year I have had other antiarrhythmics and one of them caused me to go into afib after only taking it one day they are known for that. Right now I am waiting to get a CAT scan for my heart to see if I am able to get catheter ablation. They don't even know if I can get it because my heart may not be strong enough or some other reason I'm not sure yet. Catheter ablation is something you may have to get at least three times and it is riskier than cardioversion. I'm not a doctor obviously I'm someone who had mitral valve prolapse and I had successful surgery. But my left atrium is severely enlarged because of they say probably having AFib for a while without knowing it. I hope this helps in some way. My name is Lorraine.