Hello! I have heard very interesting thing. Namely, my friend told me that defibrillator starts heart that's stopped. Is this true? So, if you use (let’s say) home defibrillator, you can prevent people of dying– that is why I am thinking this is not possible. I am thanking you in advance!

Hello! I can see that you are not too familiar with medicine field. Defibrillator is part of medical equipment. If heart stop to work (e.g. heart attack), then doctors use defibrillator to start it again; but starting heart to work again is not always case. Sometimes that is not possible and patient dies.

A Defibrillator cannot re-start a heart that has stopped beating. The device was created to stop a heart that isn't beating correctly. The hearts Natural pacemaker then takes over with all heart muscles reset to square one. This is the most basic way I can explain a Defibrillator.

From what I can tell the defibrillator restarts the heart. Through this it can infact start a stoped heart do to the sudden jolt.

A defib is used to shack the heart back from a severe irregular rhythm, e.g. V-fib, into a regular rhythm...NOT start a heart that is not beating

A defibrillator such as medics use, or a defib that's used at home, can be used to restart the heart through electrical shock, or to administer cardio-version related to a rapid heart-beat.   An implantable defib is used to protect  individuals from rapid/increased heart rate (HR).   In my case, I had my first incident of rapid HR (tachycardia) 18 months ago.  During that incident my HR went to 280 beats per minute (BPM).   I was administered cardio-version/electrical shock at a local hospital and my HR immediatley went back to 56 BPM.  A few days ago, I had my second incident of (Tachycardia) rapid HR.  Ths time the doctor injected me with medications through an IV and within 10 minutes my HR went back to 56 BPM.  The last doctor I saw told me I was "living on the edge."  I've decided to get an implantable defib within a few days.   I'm told, my Tachycardia is being caused by  scar-tissue on my lower right ventricule.  I was going to get ablation to correct my problem, but a cardiologist recently told me that attempting to eleminate the electrical circuit in my right lower ventricule caused by the scar tissue, could make the problem much-worse. 

Hello? Is there a doctor in the house?

A defib is used on a heart in an irregular rhythm. A heart in normal rhythm is a pump, in irregular rhythm it doesn't pump. A defib  administers a shock to the heart jolting it back into a normal rhythm.

a stopped heart doesn't have any output. A full auto defib needs a rhythm to administer a shock, as such a stopped heart will not be approved by the machine for a shock.

Perhaps better statement would be a "defibrillator can start (or reset) a heart that is not beating correctly." Normal heartbeats work when electrical impulses move through heart muscle in a coordinated manner. If something interferes with these impulses, then the pumping action of some or all of the heart can be affected in different ways. A defibrillator can only work if the heart is still generating its own impulses. Picture a slap to the face of a hysterical person (in movies, anyway) that momentarily stuns, but then allows the person to get a grip. Unfortunately, it only works sometimes. But the sooner a defibrillator is used, the better chance it has of working. Thus, they are now seen in public places (malls, arenas, etc). One at home may save a life.

The aed does not start someone's heart that has stopped beating.It actually stops a heart for a second that is not beating correctly like v-fib. The heart then hopefully gets back into a normal sinus rhythm. the best analogy is that it is similar to rebooting your computer when it is not working correctly. when you do this you are actually shutting the computer off for a second then when it comes back on the computer is working fine. The aed doesn't always work but it does on many occasions!

A defibrilator can NOT i say again NOT under ANY circumstances be used to start a heart that is not beating. Actually the best way to ensure you will never be able to start a stopped heart is to use a defibrilator it is ABSOLUTELY CONTRAINDICATED FOR CARDIAC ARREST. A defibrilator is useful for fibrilations, flutters or other arrythmias BUT NOT cardiac arrest. To start a heart in cardiac arrest you must treat the cause, such as fluid replacement in hypovolemia etc, and give positive inotropic drugs such as epinephrine or dobutamine and administer heart massage.

Thank god for a 4th year medical student! Facts not opinions feelings or emotions!

look back at your tex books ........scaring me now

Thanks for clearing up! If my heart stop to work I will make defibrillate. I will try my best to not die.

A defibrillator does not re-start the heart. It sends a shock to stop a heart from a or v fib (which are cases in which the heart is not pumping blood and is quivering very fast) essentially stopping the heart from beating erratically in hopes of getting it to beat and pump normally.