Hello! I have found very interesting information on the internet about defibrillator and a pacemaker. As I can see, these two devices are very similar (or same?). So, I want to ask you following: Is there difference between defibrillator and a pacemaker? I hope you will know to answer me this. Thank you!

Hello! I know that implantable cardioverter defibrillator and pacemaker are very similar. But, there is big difference between them. Namely, implantable cardioverter defibrillator is able to provide stronger impulses than pacemaker. Maybe this does not sound to you like big deal, but believe me – it is. I hope this helps you.

1. Putting it into simple terms, a pacemaker helps the heart beat whereas a defibrillator stops the heart for a moment. Pacemakers generate electrical activity in the heart for patients with certain cardiac arrythmias. A defibrillator actually generates a shock so strong that it stops the heart's electrical activity. The heart (unlike most muscles) generates its own electrical impulse and can therefore hopefully restart itself after this big shock. Defibrillators are usually used for more serious cardiac arrythmias.

2. Defibrillator-Monitors the heart to detect fibrillation and delivers a small shock to revert the heart to normal sinus rhythm. Otherwise it stays silent with no activity until the fibrillation occurs.

Pacemaker-Continuously stimulates the heart electrically to beat, setting up a regular rhythm. Used in patients who have a dysfunctioning sinoatrial or atrioventricular node or those who suffer from complete heart block (where no electrical signal can get from the atria to the ventricles, leading to a very low heart rate).

3. Pacemakers are generally used to treat slow heart rhythms, which are a form of arrhythmia. In addition, there are some rapid heart rhythms that can actually be stopped by rapid pacing. However, because that is not highly reliable, rapid pacing techniques are always used in conjunction with a defibrillator. So a pacemaker device is used predominantly to treat slow heart rhythms and an implantable defibrillator, which actually contains a pacemaker within it, can be used to pace terminate some arrhythmias but also to provide backup defibrillation if the pacing doesn't work.