Is extreme drowsiness a side effect of having a defibrillator/pacemaker implanted? My husband takes about 3 naps a day, even after sleeping through the night and constantly feels sleepy! He is sleeping his life away!

Having a pacemaker installed should not affect his energy level. If he is feeling like that, he may be experiencing a bit of anemia. I'd hate to give you a diagnosis and based on the scant information I don't really want to, but it does seem like something is not quite right for him. I know that heart issues can sometimes cause your energy level to decrease quite a bit so I think it is somehting to talk to your doctor about. I hope that he's able to get his energy level back up to something normal soon though. Keep us posted.

Hello there,

I completely agree with everything that healthnfitnessguy has posted. If your husband isn’t concerned about his health try to convince him to see a doctor because on this way he is not doing anything good for himself. I am aware that every heart condition can be very different and after all every person is different so you can never tell what is going on based on a few sentences.

I would suggest that you convince your husband to go and see with his cardiologist what is going on and why he is feeling so tired and sleepy all the time. Keep us posted about his situation and I hope that you will resolve his problem soon. Good luck.

For 10 days after mny defib/pacemaker implant I was so tired I wanted to sleep all day and all night long. I took Iron tablets and I feel okay now.

GREAT AT ABLATIONS BUT AFTER SECOND ONE WANTED TO DO ANOTHER. HIT ME OUTTA THE BLUE SAYING TALKING ME INTO PACEMAKER WITHOUT TELLING ME SIDE AFFECTS. HEART PILLS ESPECIALLY BETA BLOCKERS MADE AFIB FAR WORSE AND METAPROROPAL OR SOMETHING MADE ME HULLCINATE. BUT THE ANTI INFLAMATORIES I TOOK ONLY OCCASIONALLY FOR MILD ARTHRITIS WORKED STOPPING AFIB LIKE CUTTING OFF A FAUCET. PLUS NUMEROUS CARDIOLOGISTS HAVE REPEATEDLY TOLD ME MY HEART SCANS GREAT SO NO ONE KNOWS WHAT CAUSED THIS TO BEGIN WITH. I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH NARCOLEPSY WHICH SINCE HAS BEEN DISCOVERED AND A MEDDICALLY ACCEPTED TO RESULT FROM THE IMMUNE SYSTEM ATTACKING THE PART OF BRAIN AFFECTING SLEEP CENTER. IVE HEARD READ THAT ANTI INFLAMATORIES GIVEN WHEN IMMUNE SYSTEM ATTACKS HEART LINING. ABOUT A MONTH AFTER IMPLANT JOINTS SWELLED AND ARTHRITIS SO BAD I HAD TO USE A WALKER OR CANE. HAIR FALLS OUT AND SKIN PEELS OFF IN SHEETS. LARGE AS A SILVER DOLLAR. THE NARCOLEPSY ATTACKS ARE 5 TO TEN TIMES WORSE. SLEEP AVERAGE 18 HOURS A DAY. IVE HAD SUGAR LEVELS SPIKE TO 700 PLUS. PSORIASIS ON JOINTS KNEES AND ELBOWS. AND MY LOWER LEGS AND ESPECIALLY FEET NOW ARE PERMANENTLY SWOLLEN TO TWO AND HALF SIZES TO 3 SIZES LARGER. HAVE NEVER GONE DOWN. PERMANENT EDEMA. AND I HATE SALT AND WATCH IT LIKE A HAWK. THE BACK PAIN RENDERS ME UNABLE TO STAND MORE THAN A 15 MINUTES. IVE SEEN ALL THE SPECIALISTS. COUNTLESS FOLLOWUPS WITH THE CARDIOLIGHTS. EVEN THOUGH STRANGERS HAVE ASKED WHATS WRONG WITH MY PURPLE SWOLLEN FEET AND CRUSTY SKIN HEART DOCTOR SAID NOTHING WRONG. NO ONE RETURNS MY CALLS NOW THEY HAVE USED UP THE INSURANCE. THERES A PLACE IN OHIO THAT CAN REMOVES LEADS AND ALL. HOWEVER IT STARTS AT 146,000. ID HAVE TO SELL MY PAID FOR HOME. IVE CALLED A REALTOR. IM NOT SUICIDAL BUT I PRAY TO DIE BUT QUICKLY AS THIS IS A SLOW AND TORTUREOUS EXISTENCE. IM NOW 62 AND HAVE ENDURED THE TORTURE OF THIS IMPLANT FOR OVER 3 YEARS WITH NO END IN SIGHT. IT DOES NOT PACE ALL THE TIME. ITS MY RIGHT TO HAVE IT DEACTIVATED BUT NO ONE WILL DO IT SO IM LOOKING AT THE MONEY TO HIRE A LAWYER. THE MEDICAL PROFESSION WILL LET A PERSON LIVE WITH EXTREAM TORTURE BEFORE THEY WILL ADMIT A MISTAKE. THE COMPANY REP WHO ANSWERED MY CALL PRETENDED HE HAD PHONE PROBLEMS. LEAVE A MESSAGE ANYONE WITH IDEAS.