My good friend's father was recently told that he has dilated cardiomyopathy. My friend was telling me a bit about this condition, and that it basically means that the heart is bigger and weaker, and can no longer pump blood around the body inadequately. My friend's dad is only in his early sixties and I feel really bad for all of them. What treatment is given for dilated cardiomyopathy, and what kind of life expectancy can dilated cardiomyopathy patients expect?

Hello, I'm 22 years of age and have recently found out that I have Dilated Cardiomyopathy. The treatments vary depending on how serious the issue is in the individual. Fortunately for me they've managed to catch mine early and my heart should ultimately normalise eventually. I will need to continue my treatment for many years, possibly the rest of my life but the thing is, there's no reason why I shouldn't last until im 100. As long as I take care of myself I should be ok. Your friend's father may be the same. Unfortunately the longevity of the disease is unknown as it differs in different people. If it's caught early you could be ok, if it's spotted due to heart failure then realistically the condition has gone too far and all doctors can do is try to prevent further heart failure for as long as possible. This could last anywhere between 5 and 10 years depending, like I say, on the severity of the condition. I hope he is well for many years to come.