hi i am worried because sometimes when I eat chocolate my heart starts beating hard and fast. can you help? ?

Hello, I experience the same thing. I did a search & your post came up !! If I eat chocolate I get a thuding heart beat. It doesn't beat faster (well, maybe one beat faster, but not much), I become very aware of it & I know this causes me to panic a bit, because I always have an ache in my chest at the same time. (I've had an ECG, Stress Test, BP monitor & Holter monitor (I get palpitations too) but everything came back normal. I'm just not convinced though & am going back for more tests. I've been told they may never find out what is causing all of my symptoms (this is just one of them !!) but they will rule out heart related issues. It's been happening to me for more than 5 years now & I am 32 now. It also happens if I have a few alcoholic drinks.

I sometimes get itchy eyes & palms after eating chocolate too. I wonder if I'm allergic to it? But why would this cause your heart beat to go funny or get palpitations????

Good to know I'm not the only one.

I was just looking for the answer to same question! If I eat chocolate, at night my heart is beating rapidly within minutes. I can't eat icecream anymore at night, real bummer. I'm 46 and have noticed it within last few months...would love to find out why. Glad to know I'm not alone.

im a 14yr old girl and the same thing has happend to me :'( i feel a lot better now because it seems common its never happend to me before my parents think its because i eat lots of sugery sweets but the doctor asked me if i smoke cannabis o.O as if

i hope it goes away plz reply

I hate that you are experiencing this, but that is exactly what I came here to find out. I do this also. I do it with chocolate or any type liquor. Does anybody know what causes it and why? %-)

Hello there. Chocolate contains caffeine, caffeine stimulates the nervous system. Dark chocolate contains the most. Many times alcohol (wines at least) contain sulfites, which can also cause a nervous reactions as well. This I have learned from my internal medicine doc. I am very physically sensitive to these things as well.

Well, guess what, I thought I was the only one too. I'm 49 and it's just been happening in the last 4 years, since I was on a high BP medication, which caused these symptoms bigtime, so bad I thought I was having a heart attack.
I came off that and onto a milder/different one, but now I get the chocolate/heartbeat thing too. Tea and coffee alone don't do it, but chocolate does. Alcohol doesn't seem to affect it either, I can have quite a few beers or a bottle of wine and have no symptoms.
Heart beats not much faster than normal but really HARD, THUMP THUMP . Sometimes I can eat 5-6 chunks of a choc bar and am OK, other times one little bit sets me off so now I have to avoid it.

Same here, I was hoping to find an answer too, like all the others here. For years I've been thinking I was imagening stuff.."happy" too see I'm not :-). Now that I am sure of the fact that chocolate has sth to do with it, I can only think of a cafeine derivative, which is sometimes worse then cafein in coffee, which is causing it.

I have had rapid heart beat at all times, when at rest, when standing and when doing activity. Other times I can do activity and have no problems. The one common factor is eating. Can be anything. So I started taking swig of Mylanta when ever I get the rapid heart beat. Most times this works. It takes about 5 or six minutes to get a burp out and then I can resume activity with no rapid or hard heart beat. Not a doctor, just someone experiencing the same problems.

Don't eat chocolate.

Stop eating chocolate...

Ah now, come on...no chocolate!!!!I I get the same also when I eat any sweet sugary stuff like merangues, think its the higher doses of sugar, all of which are in chocolate..I can eat about 2/3 squares ok after that its rapid heart. beat..scary...I can eat jelly with custard & be fine, or one merangue, its the larger amounts that effect me...& I think friemds time to stop, something is not right..