Last thursday i was sitting at my computer and i began to have very intense chest pains that soon spread to the left side of my neck then down my left arm. I went straight to the doctor and had an EKG done because it was what felt like a heart attack or stroke. The doc told me my ekg was abnormal and i soon rode the ambulance to a hospital nearby. He also said i was having attacki cardia, im not sure on the spelling lol. The more i would move around the more my shoulder and chest would hurt. I sat in the hospital all day for them to tell me my ekg wasnt all that abnormal and that my blood work and test results said i was healthy and sent me home. Now it is monday and my chest still dose not feel normal. Every once in a while i get this very distracting and loud thumping sensation near or in my heart. It mainly happens when breathing in. The sound isnt the normal lubb-dubb of my heart, it sound more like when your stomach makes a bubbly noise. My heart dose not get off rythym though, it just keeps beating loud for maybe 4 or 5 beats then back to normal. This happens more then daily and makes me very concerned.

I am 21, healthy, and active.

This spell happened maybe 15 minutes after smoking through a plastic bong. When i got back from the hospital i dismantled the bong and noticed the down stem was melted just a little bit. So i am thinking i may have inhaled some plastic fumes that induced the spell. But after being sent out of the hospital saying im healthy i dont know what to do now. Do i just wait and pray it goes away or is it some thing serious?

A better way to describe the sensation im talking about would be a popping sensation. It feels like a bubble passing through my heart or somthing. Can some one please give me some input about the issue? Im very concerned about my health right now.

I'm having this exact same problem, did you find out what it is? Or does anyone know? ... I'm really worried.

"He also said i was having attacki cardia"

I'm no medical person, but what he said was you were having "a tachycardia."

According to this site:

merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/mwmednlm?book=Medical&va=tachycardia

Main Entry: tachy·car·dia
Pronunciation: secondarystresstak-i-primarystresskärd-emacron-schwa
Function: noun
: relatively rapid heart action whether physiological (as after exercise) or pathological -- see JUNCTIONAL TACHYCARDIA, PAROXYSMAL TACHYCARDIA, SINUS TACHYCARDIA, VENTRICULAR TACHYCARDIA; compare BRADYCARDIA

I have an 11 year old who is complaing about the exact same symptoms. She also says she feels a bubble sensation in her chest and a thumping sensation that scares her. She also had an EKG done and it was found to be normal as well as a stress test though she could not do the breathing part because it made her chest hurt. She is wearing the monitor and records everythime she feels the thump but when we check her ekg looks fine. These symptoms occur anythime of the day she also trys to take her mind off of it but when this happens it scares her. As a mom I call the doctor and get nothing but fustrated because they tell me to take her to counseling for this. I just want some reassurance is this normal? Will it go away? Is there anything to cure it? Or any medicine? What can I do for her?

iget the same thing but no chest pain. It feels like my heart just had a coke and is full of bubbles...usually happens after i eat too much sugar! no one can give an answer either but the doctor tells me i am healthy and there is nothing wrong with me...sorry cant help more...

today i was sitting in school when my left hand started to tingle a little bit then i started feeling kind of weird i guess is the best way to put it so i got up and walked out of class then i felt my heart and noticed that my heart was beating extreamly hard and fast and my left shoulder kind of hurt . it lasted a good 3 min of intence beating then i went to the nurse and she said my heart beat was a bit above normal and now when i lay on my left side my heart makes a poping noise and it feels like there is a bubble when i bend over and stand up im not in alot of pain its just uncomfortable to breath im a 17 year old male can anyone help me because im absolutley freaking out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from what Ive found out from my own experiences that what many of your are experiencing are panic attacks. wikipedia it to find out more about what it is. a general description of it would be feeling like you are going to have a heart attack even if everything is normal. it is usually a psychological problem and can be dealt with behavioral exercises.

Hi just reading your post , look up a disorder called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome , i have had the same symptoms for years and have finally been diagnosed with this by an orthapedic dr . And all the pieces finally fit . Good luck , dont worry too much its a vey scary feeling but hopefully may just be this

Hi

I have been searching for my symptoms online and this couldnt have come closer. I can literally hear a bubble in my heart area when i move in certain directions. It sounds exactly like when my stomach bubbles, I have severe chest pain and I dont know what to do. I dont have a chronic cough, or cold. and I AM ALSO A 22 YEAR OLD MALE with no previous health problems.

I also started getting this pain after smoking from a brand new glass bong with a brass screen. Im wondering if this is the direct cause and i have eliminated the bong from my daily routine. I work steady nights and this is day 3 of pain for me. I hope that this goes away or ill be in line at the hospital with all of the H1N1 people.

jwmark, how are u feeling now?

Cody

hey, i jsut came back from the hospital with the same problem.

I have been smoking cigarettes about 3 years now, and today is boxing day. I have been smoking weed on august till last 2 weeks.
The doctor said that the thc is still inside my system. we ran a ekg test, blood test, heart test, everything was normal. But i feel a scary beat on my heart. once in a while when i lie down my bed, i would get a bad sensastion on my heart. it feels like the back of my heart is being touched by a bone. and it is like a blood rush really fast. but my heart is beating normal. its hard to explain. the left part of my body, like my left arm and my heart feels really cold and weird. i would get this rush once awhile when im in bed.

have u guys smoke weed or cigarettes? if u have the doctor told me to stay away from it and let the thc from my body come out.

i have had the same proble, but i had to quit smoking mariuana, it causes panic and anxiety, and when u have aq heart attack, u do not feel bubbling, and u WILL know if your having a heart attack.

I am a 23 year old male, quite active and of average build for my height, there is a history of heart problems within my family but i have no known medical issues from my own past, other than for as long as i can remember every now and then my hearts feels like it stops for a second then beats hard once then goes back to normal.. i get a feeling when its going to happen and can control my breathing to prevent the "heavy" beat.. the reason i control the beat is if i dont it can sometimes cause me to get a severe head ache where the pain is syncronized with my heart beats. This may not happen for a few weeks in a row and other times it can occur a few times within a couple of minutes other times just once a day.

it is the second time i have experienced this. the first was when i was about 17 after smoking marijuana all day i was laying in bed i got the bubble sensation which kept me awake for most of the night but had subsided by the morning. whether there is a link between the two i have no idea and there was no pain.

but yesterday i began to have severe pain in left side of chest, left side of back behind shoulder blade and leading up into my left shoulder and left side of neck and left arm, the pain in chest increases when i breath in deeply or if i do any kind of excercise even as little as walking increases the pain and shortness of my breath, i could normally run to my local shop fine but yesterday i had to walk real slow and take several breaks before i got there. I can also position myself so that the pain is minimal but as soon as i move from this position the pain remains. when i lie on my left side in a certain position i also get the bubble feeling and its so loud i can hear it myself coming out from my chest.. as people said its kinda like when your stomach churns except in the heart area syncronized with heart beats. This time the pain began as i was sat at my computer talking to a friend through MSN, instantly after inhaling smoke from my ciggerrette.. which i usually smoke ten a day of and the pain has not yet eased off any.

makes ya feel better when ya know you aint the only one :-) would be nice to see what the exact cause of this is tho.

To the original poster and any other related posts:
Hi, I'm only a 2nd year pharmacy student but what I believe the pain you have described is called Angina - it's when the oxygen demand exceeds the supply. It's characterised by pain in the chest, neck, jaw, back and left arm.. this is also usually brought about when you exercise or get emotional etc.

there is really no "exact cause" for this but big, BIG risk factors include the fact that you smoke and any other lifestyle habit (you mentioned you had it before when you smoked marijuana). My thoughts would be because smoking destroys your lungs, you're not getting enough oxygen so the demand exceeds the supply. In any case, my advice would be to stay away from marijuana (which increases your heart rate amongst many, many other things), and try very hard to quit smoking because you're body is obviously not coping and this is a serious health issue.

My strongest piece of advice however is to see your doctor. I'm a 2nd year pharmacy student still studying, not a medical professional but from what you said, it does sound like you need treatment. There are ways to treat Angina, to either prevent it or to treat an acute attack. Please see your health care professional.

And just a word of advice to anyone, if you're smoking tobacco, marijuana, any other illicit substance - and then wonder why you feel unwell, there's a big problem. People don't go on about how these things are horrible for no reason.

So, I recently experienced a very similar situation and in my attempt to find out what was wrong with me I came across this blog. You guys were describing exactly what I was experiencing. I went to lay down one night (after smoking) and began to have very intense sharp pains in the left side of my chest. It seemed to feel a little better when I sat up or was in fetal position. The strangest part was the feeling of bubbles moving around in my chest cavity. It felt like gas trapped where my heart is and I could not understand how this was possible. I tried to ignore it for two days and it wasn't too extremely painful all of the time. But after the bubble or thumping feeling just would not go away I began to get very worried. I then decided to go to the emergency room. I was convinced that it would be something to do with my heart, but I was completely wrong. It turned out that what I was experiencing was a collapsed lung or Pneumothorax. The doctor told me that my lung was very slightly collapsed (almost couldn't see it on the x-ray) and that the bubble feeling was actually air trapped in my chest cavity. Everything all of the sudden made so much sense. It turns out that they don't know exactly what causes this to happen (could be from a fall or injury, could have been from smoking and was very common in thin people who smoke marijuana, etc..) They monitored me for the night to see if it would get worse and to see if surgery was needed. I was very lucky because it was such a slight collapse (only about 20%). The doctor came in the next morning and told me that I could go home and that it would most likely heal itself and that the bubble feeling would go away once my body reabsorbed the trapped air. It's been about a week and I am feeling much better. I have an occasional tinge of pain but the bubble feeling is completely gone. Anyway, if someone is experiencing these symptoms hopefully my experience can shed some light on what it could be.