I am 44 years old. I have cancer. I am going to chemotherapy accompanied with radiation therapy. My doctor tells me that there is some improvement in my condition, and that is the good news. The bad news is that levels of my white blood cells are low. They are below 1000. Doctor tells me that he has to stop therapy. Tell me why?

Unfortunately radiation therapy and chemotherapy are two major causes of decreased white blood cells. They can damage your bone marrow which makes the blood cells. It is very dangerous to have low white blood cells because they are important part of human immune system. Without it you can get serious infections, develop anemia and it can cause bleeding without any apparent reason. Doctor has to stop treatment and to give you proper medications or blood transfusions.