My husband had a THR in Nov 2005 and had a Total Knee Replacement in 2000. After the THR he has had a lot of numbness, and pain the the lower calf on that same side. He said sometimes feels like needles in it. Pain is terrible when he gets out of bed and steps on that foot on that side. Pain meds are not helping at all. Dr thought it was a circulation problem and after having ultrasounds and other tests they say it is probably a nerve problem after the surgeries. It is just getting worse for him and not sure on what to do for it. No drop foot or anything but leg is 1 inch shorter than the other one and that is due to having arthritis so bad in the knee. Will this pain go away? And what other tests can he have to find out what is the problem. We have also saw a back dr and he told us the problem was circulation but wrong there. Help if you can we are stumped and would like to talk to other people with this problem after surgery. Thanks so much. Ladycolpepper and Colpepper

I've had bi-lateral THR and I have seen several DRs complaining of the same needle stabing pain with no help or info on what is causing the problem. My orthopedic surgen actually denied ever hearing of this complaint but his scheduling nurse said about 30% of his patience have voiced the same complaint. So far I have found two methods for pain relief: one is Hydrocodn (up to 10 mg twice a day) and the other is water. I can take a shower or get in my swimming pool for immediate relief. As soon as water touches my legs it's like the stabing needles are washed away but this is only temporary relief. The stabing needle pain always happens late in the evening or after I've gone to bed. I've taken as many as four showers from 10 pm to 06:00 am in a single night. Changes in the weather primary in the Spring and Fall seasons are the worst times.

Six weeks ago I had a TKR and in spite of the whole thing being much more painful than I had anticipated it has recovered well with good ROM and stability. However, I cannot get on with my life as I am currently having to take morphine for the pain in my foot. From immediately post surgery I had the numbness in two toes, the ball of the heel and in other areas on the foot. These places on the foot feel numb to the touch but are hyper sensitive to stand on and have sharp shooting pains unless I can control it by the pain meds. Even the bottom of the swimming pool which feels smooth and shiny to the other foot, feels like a pile of rocks under my foot - even with no weight on it! The surgeon says I am expecting too much too soon - though he cannot tell me what caused the problem or give me any advice as to how to ease the symptoms..he says time will tell (no clue though as to how much time and what the possible outcome might be!)

It sounds like the pain you are describing is the same pain - water does not help me and in fact the morphine doesn't always control anything other than the constipation!

Please let me know if you find anything that works for you - I am not encouraged by the length ot time you have had your pain.

Elaine