I've been having lower back pain for about a year and a half now, caused by a major car accident, and a little weakness in the back before it. The pain in my leg and lower back can be debilitating at times. I've just recently started with physical therapy and they think it's just back spasms. I had a chiropractor friend take some x-rays as well and massage it out. The x-rays show my muscles flared up on one side pulling my spine to that side. Every time a massage therapist looks at my back they always say "oh man, your muscles are all spasming". Apparently your muscles can spasm and you won't even know it which causes your spine to be way out of alignment which can then in turn pinch the nerves in your back. I don't think I have any bulging or ruptured disks as the pain has come and gone a few times and I admittedly have a very weak back and stomach from sitting at my desk all day. I've had a few MRIs and CT scans in the last 1.5 years and the doctors have never mentioned a busted disk. Now the weird thing about me is that the tightness and pain associated with trying to stretch and flex is always there when my muscles are "cold". But the pain in my legs seem to switch sides every time I have a flair up. Running from my buttocks to my toes and in various locations on my legs. It's never both legs at the same time either. The most recent flair up has been the worst however which came on all of a sudden while crouching in my room looking through papers. This worried me as the pain has always been a "the next morning" type of thing. So I'm wondering, is it possible to actually have a sudden massive muscle flair up when the muscles just decide they can't take the position my back is in or the stress I am putting on it? The pain seems to be very lightly subsiding and the numbness in my toes is still there but gets worse depending on whether or not I'm walking or how I'm sitting. And walking is very hard due to the pain after about 10 steps if I'm trying to walk properly.

Hi
I also had a back operation 3 years ago and done a lumber laminectomy / discectomy and decompression of the nerve roots at my lower back. A few months ago I started to feel numness from my large toe to the middle of my instep. The more I walk it gets worse. I was perfect when I was doing Body Building at the gym. How can I resolve this irratable feeling. Would Physio help?
Cheers

I know what you going thru, but it will get better with time and exercise an also had a accident at work and surgery it got better but you have to decide what feels good to you i know doctors don't believe you about the pain , how it changes and how much it hurts until one of them came along and help me out for the weight litter i think your lifting to much weight that's your problem like my doctor toll me your will never be the same once you have a back problem

I TOO SUFFER FROM WEAKNESS OF LEGS DUE TO LOWER BACK PAIN, I CONCERING ME. IS THIS THE ONSET OF MS?