I have a somewhat unusual question! About a month ago my son's playmate came over to our house for a playdate, and he brought his new set of pencils with him. He wanted to show me how sharp one of the pencils was, and proceeded to... stab the palm of my hand with the pencil! The top of the pencil broke off and got stuck under the skin of my palm. I have waited for it to come out naturally, but the pencil head is still there. Do I need to get this surgically removed now? The skin has grown back over it now, but this red pencil head is very clearly visible, and I am somewhat worried that it could be toxic. Thank you for reading and I am hoping for some advice :).

Well, I do know that pencils contain led, or at least they used to. If I were you, I would be going to see a doctor about it to consult them at least. I don't see much of a reason to open up your hand to get the pencil part out if it is basically harmless, but if it is slowly poisoning you should probably get it removed, yes. And I can imagine it doesn't look too charming either.