I have had a hard and very visible lump in my neck for about four days now. It is dark red in color and when I touch it, the lump is not just painful but also clearly a lot warmer than the surrounding skin. This is apparently not just an ordinary zit, or anything like that. Can anyone tell me what this is, and what I can do about it?

I strongly suspect that the "lump" you have been talking about is in fact a boil or cyst, and those do hurt like the plague! If you don't get it drained or cut out by a doctor, it will continue to bug you and if left for too long, it could cause you some serious problems. Hope that helps!

A boil? I never thought that would stick around forever! I thought those went away by themselves, though it didn't even occur to me to think that THIS THING I have got could be a boil! You are probably right, and I will call my GP as soon as I have some spare time on my hands. What treatment do they normally use to cure a boil?