Whilst shaving, I noticed a lump on my jugular vein. It is small though most definitely there. I have to say I am a bit concerned! Do you think it could be something dangerous? Should I get it checked out or do you think this is not necessary? Do any of you have any experience with anything like this?

Well it could be a cyst, which is harmless to your body. Or maybe one of the glands or nodes is swollen, it can swell up and stay swollen for years. There are many lymph nodes in the neck, including the area you are describing. It may also be related to the bug bite. Lymph nodes can swell when fighting off an infection then reduce back down in size after the infection is past. Occasionally they do not shrink fully back down to their previous size and remain about the size of a pea or so. These are referred to as shotty nodes, as in they feel like buck shot. These nodes still function normally. If your lump begins to get bigger in size, becomes painful, you should talk to your doctor.

The vein is the vehicle for blood. Why would anybody wait until there is pain. This is a very serious problem