Hi, I have been thinking of switching to macrobiotic diet. A friend of mine has told me that macrobiotic foods have changed her life. I have heard that this type of diet does not include my favorite food group. I couldn't imagine my life without chocolate. Is it true that if I decide to switch to macrobiotic foods I would have to give up on chocolates and sweets?

Hi, I am afraid that what you have heard is true. Macrobiotic foods do not include chocolate and any type of refined sugar. The diet also does not allow dairy products and red meat. The basic foods used in macrobiotic cooking are whole grains. They make half of everything you are allowed to eat. The other half consists of fruits and vegetables, beans, seaweed, fish, nuts and natural oils. It is very important that the food is organically produced without any artificial additives or pesticides. The foods are also divided in two groups: Yin and Yang. The forbidden food groups are very Yin or very Yang. Every dish prepared has to be balanced between Yin and Yang. If you think you can follow the rules of macrobiotic diet, you should give it a try.