Hi, I have a friend who is a fan of macrobiotic cooking. Whenever I go to visit her, she never offers me coffee, but keeps giving me tea. I have tried some of her recipes and they were not so bad. However, I am not completely informed about macrobiotic cooking. When I ask her about it, she always says that this type of cooking is so much healthier than the regular cooking. I am actually interested in the types of food used in the macrobiotic cooking. Can you tell me something about it?

Hi, macrobiotic cooking is very different from the cooking you are used to. People who eat macrobiotic meals say that macrobiotic is more of a lifestyle than a cook book. They do not use red meat, refined sugar, coffee and dairy products. Whole grains are the basic food group used in macrobiotic cooking. They are mostly combined with green leafy vegetables. The followers sometimes use fruits, fish and natural oils. In macrobiotic cooking the foods are processed by steaming, boiling or baking in a pressure cooker. When they prepare their dishes they also have in mind the time of the day and the year season. Macrobiotic cookers believe that with the seasons changing our diet has to change too. The macrobiotic dishes are very rich in color and taste. Every dish has to have five colors and five flavors. You can see that the macrobiotic cooking is very demanding, but people who prepare their meals this way say that macrobiotic cooking has improved their lives.