I’m interested in nutritional ingredients of mangosteen. Why is it used as dietary supplement? I have heard about mangosteen pills that are used as dietary supplements. Are they used to treat vitamin deficiency? Please tell me more about mangosteen properties.

Compounds of mangosteen have antioxidant, antimicrobial but are also know by their anti tumour activity. Active components in mangosteen are xanthones that are very powerful antioxidants. It is very useful dietary supplement and its daily values are not established. There are mangosteen capsules available and one capsule daily is recommended like immune booster and protective agent. As I know, there are long term trials done to prove these effects and actually we can not be absolutely certain about its benefits or side effects, but I guess that it can not be harmful for healthy people.

It has long been recognized in Asia that the mangosteen has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, and is therefore effective in treating eczema, hyperkeratosis and related skin conditions such as psoriasis and seborrhea. In the Caribbean, a tea made from mangosteen, known as “eau de Creole,” is used as a tonic for fatigue and low energy states, universal symptoms experienced by millions around the world. Brazilians use a similar tea as a de-worming agent and digestive aid. In Venezuela, parasitic skin infections are treated with poultices of the fruit rind, while Filipinos employ a fruit preparation to control fever. While known in many parts of the world for centuries, the mangosteen fruit is only now being discovered by North Americans. This is unusual considering that North America is often the first area to benefit from medical discoveries; in this case, however, it is one of the last. Fortunately, knowledge of the mangosteen is spreading quickly, and it is becoming known in countries far removed from where it is grown.

mangosteenfruitinfo.com/whatismangosteen.asp