I quit smoking marijuana a few weeks back and have suffered from severe insomnia and panic attacks. My palms and feet are constantly sweaty and my heart beats fast. I have tried holistic methods to help me fall asleep and stay asleep with no success. I cannot fall asleep unassisted (without prescription sleep aids) - not one night. My sleep history has always been very healthy, in that, I would fall asleep within 10 or so minutes usually....till now. I have been to the doctor and have had an MRI and tests on my ears, etc. I'm healthy, except for this sleep issue. It started around the time I quit smoking abruptly (I was a heavy pot smoker). Please tell me that this will pass and it's related to the recent cessation? Please tell me how long this might take?

Also, I was a moderate alcohol drinker (2-3 drinks a day). That too I stopped suddenly--but did not have any of the "typical" withdrawal symptoms, such as "desiring a drink"....could it be that I did this too quickly? Please assure me this will end and when?

It took my daughter about 2 months to be able to begin to fall asleep on her own. Now 5 months clean and sober, she sleeps like a baby, with no sleep aid.

when i quit smoking which was for about 3 months maybe four i had the worst insomnia ever

i was a really heavy smoker for about 3 yrs
i remember one year i smoked everyday of the year

and now that im smoking weed again ...
i <3 my sleeeep

I've been a heavy smoker for a couple years, but I usually take breaks throughout the year, anywhere from 5 days to a couple month depending on my situation. But when I do smoke, it is usually multiple times a day. Whenever I quit I have insomnia for the first 2-3 days. But you just gotta power through that. The best way I've discovered so far to get past this is either to a) work yourself out to the point of exhaustion, or b) get drunk (or to some level of intoxication that you will sleep easy). The alcohol is a different drug that affects you in different ways. Also, no dependence for sleep should develop from alcohol. I'm no doctor, but this is from personal experience and trial and error. It seems to me that the insomnia from weed withdrawal is not only mental but it also manifests itself physically in muscle spasms. It's like you feel compelled to tighten your muscles and move around. Your mind can't relax either. This is why I think the above two remedies are effective.

Most of of the marijuana withdrawal is mental dependency, not physical dependency. So my guess is that while it could be a little alcohol related, it's probably more like you've just adjusted your body to sleep great with the pot, and to self-medicate the anxiety/panic attacks you were and still are feeling. (Believe me I know what all types of withdrawals and depression and anxiety and panic attacks feel like) But you haven't felt those feelings for years and years because you were a heavy pot smoker(as I also was years ago), which masked most of the awful symptoms for you. It may seem worse because of that.
And alcohol withdrawal for 2-3 drinks a day will be a lot milder than a heavy alcoholics would be, and "desiring a drink may not be on of your withdrawal symptoms at all because of the the lower dose of alcohol) I'm glad that you stopped before it got to that point. It's a horrible place to be. I've been on methadone for roughly 10 years now. I was an extremely heavy opiate user before and haven't touched an opiate since the day before I walked through those clinic doors. Now I've been ready to get off of it and just get on with my life and to be happy again.It is about he worst drug to withdraw from, and I was on such a high dose for so long I actually developed a phobia about coming off of it. I WAS TERRIFIED. But I finally started this past summer and have gone from 126 to 60 which is a feat for me. Gonna level off and gain some of my weight back before I do the last half because the detox literally takes my appetite completely away and I don't want people thinking I'm anorexic or something.

bbfeet9,
I feel as if I am going through what your daughter went through. It would Absolutely help me to talk with you maybe via email? I was a regular user and at the start of the semester I completely lost it and didn't sleep for 3 days. Its been 10 days now and I cannot sleep without medication. I had no idea how hard this withdrawel could be. If you have the time, I would ABSOLUTLY love to talk to you about this issue because you could help me more than the therapists, psychiatrists, and doctors I have spoken with. Thanks for your time!

Try smoking for almost 20 years and having to quit (started when I was 8 years old weekend smoker by the 6th grade, daily from 13-14 until 27 years old) about 3 weeks ago, dreams are so intense and lucid full of sh*t I put on the back burner for two decades. Especially compared to the sweet sensei slumber, yeah it’s all in my head but my thoughts are racing and I wake up from lucid dreams as beautiful as they sometimes may be exhausted. It’s not withdrawals like when I gave up white, Rx’s... im not sick im just dealing with all the sh*t, I escaped thinking about and that’s why I can’t sleep. because of my past I won’t drink or take vals or any rx, rust gotta deal with all this chit and process it .. it’s a withdrawal you get from any escapism and have to deal with real life situations, yeah I know I sound like a kook and if I was a little bit more grown up about things that happened in the past I wouldn’t be in this situation and would be able to walk away a lot easier. smoking herb is great and therapeutic and I look forward to the day its legalized so I can’t have session on the weekend, or a nice rip or two as a night cap but I have to quit do to getting a job, sucks I abused something so wonderful, this behavior is at the root of it and you can be an addict to working out, video games, sex, surfing, booze, the scene and put everything and everything and everyone else on the back burner. sooner or later you gotta pay your debts

You know nothing, GTFOH try smoking for almost 20 years and having to quit (started when I was 8 years old weekend smoker by the 6th grade, daily from 13-14 until 27 years old) about 3 weeks ago, dreams are so intense and lucid full of sh.. I put on the back burner for two decades. Especially compared to the sweet sensei slumber, yeah it’s all in my head but my thoughts are racing and I wake up from lucid dreams as beautiful as they sometimes may be exhausted. It’s not withdrawals like when I gave up white, Rx’s... im not sick im just dealing with all the sh.., I escaped thinking about and that’s why I can’t sleep. because of my past I won’t drink or take vals or any rx, rust gotta deal with all this chit and process it .. it’s a withdrawal you get from any escapism and have to deal with real life situations, yeah I know I sound like a kook and if I was a little bit more grown up about things that happened in the past I wouldn’t  be in this situation and would be able to walk away a lot easier. smoking herb is great and therapeutic and I look forward to the day its legalized so I can’t have session on the weekend, or a nice rip or two as a night cap but I have to quit do to getting a job, sucks I abused something so wonderful, this behavior is at the root of it and you can be an addict to working out, video games, sex, surfing, booze, the scene and put everything and everything and everyone else on the back burner. sooner or later you gotta pay your debts

sorry its super late didn’t proof read,

insomnia

come to my house and say that to my face, doesn't matter what time cause I cant fall asleep anymore!!!

You must be 12 years old! Or someone who has never used weed consistently for at least a year or you would never say such a preposterous thing!

I heard if you stick the buds in your ass it doesn't count because your not smoking it which helps your fall asleep as well. Also cover it in honey and paprika to help boost the effects

Youre very ignorant

U know absolutely nothing u knob

Hello. I would like to say weed withdrawal is REAL. I stopped smoking 2 weeks ago and the first 4 days wasn't bad. Yea I thought about smoking but I got through that. I was a everyday smoker for 11years. Now let's get to day 5. I woke up with sweating hands and feet and my head felt groggy. I was nervous cause I didn't know what was going on. I didn't know quitting weed did this lol. So that night I was really tired and couldn't fall asleep. I laid in the bed tossing and turning all night till the sun came up. That's the first night insomnia kicked in. After day 9 is when the sweating stopped and here I am day 14 still with insomnia just not as bad. I fall asleep for a hour or two than I'm up for a while till I can fall asleep again. Maybe total of four hours a night. I found unisom helps with insomnia and took 1 tablet before bed and I was sleep within a half hour. Woke up twice to use the bathroom but went back to sleep with ease. The only con was when I woke up in the morning I felt groggy for 2 1/2 hours. Couldn't stand cause I felt drunk. So last night I took a half of a unisom and I went to sleep about a hour later but kept waking up for no reason. Idk if I want to take another whole one tonight. Its either I take one and get sleep and deal with the groggy feeling or take nothing and just feel tired for a few hours the next day.. But just want to share my experience with you all. Best of luck!!