I smoked marijuana for the first time about a month ago. It was only a period of about 2-3 weeks and i didn't smoke everyday, just spontaneously with my friends. Well, it was going well until i smoked my last one (about 2 weeks ago) where i had a horrible trip. I only took 4 hits, but i was becoming paranoid. It subsided after a few hours, but after that i've experienced very mild anxiety episodes. Then about a week later, an anxiety attack woke me up, and i had vivid dreams. Following that was a few nights of horrible sleep. It started to subside and i thought i was getting better, which brings us to the present day. I have thought i was getting better, but last night an anxiety attack wouldn't let me sleep. Whenever i get an attack, it feels like the back of my head is burning. That's what i felt last night. The major part of the attack has subsided by now, but everytime i try to get my much needed sleep, i feel the attack coming again. Everytime i lay my head down it happens. It is as if my mind is afraid of letting me sleep.

I just want to know... is this normal? and i didn't smoke for very long (only 2-3 weeks) how is it that i am experiencing these symptoms? I will say though from what i've read elsewhere, my symptoms don't seem as strong as other reports, but it is still affecting me. How can i relax my mind so that it would let me sleep? I'd prefer not to use medications. I feel that the risks of taking the medications are not worth the relief of my symptoms.

This is normal. I had the same thing happen to me. Of course, I would suggest that you don't smoke anymore. Not everyone is cut out to smoke pot.
You need to give your body time to get all of the THC out of your system.
Drink lots of water, try your hardest not to think about feeling bad, because that in itself can cause an anxiety attack. Things that I did to help me when I stopped smoking pot was doing yoga, listening to the "Calm Meditation" station on Pandora radio, and trying to go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday. Your symptoms should pass soon. Don't be worried! :-P

There is no link between marijuana use and anxiety - your source of paranoia is from something, this is pretty evident by the fact that it's been three weeks since you smoked. Marijuana is therapeutical, you really need to learn a little more about weed bro.

Also the guy above is a complete douche. Don't say you needed to do "something" to help you quit smoking weed. Marijuana isn't addictive meaning whenever you stop using it you won't have effects of withdrawal like other drugs such as tobacco, coke, heroin, etc. This also means quitting smoking weed won't cause your anxiety attacks.

If you want an easy way to sleep, the best thing to do is ironically smoking weed, it will help you sleep and relieve your anxiety. I guarantee bro weed isn't a reason you feel anxious, it's all in your head man or there is probably another issue in your life causing your anxiety.

If you don't want to do that, then your going to have to pill pop, it's not bad like you think. Look for a sleep aid like that contains diphenhydramine in it , 50 G of that (one pill) will knock you out in 20 mins and two pills will knock you out in 10. Don't go overboard though because too much of that and you will trip out and probably increase your anxiety.

Hope this helps, I'm an avid weed smoker and I'm very educated on the use of marijuana, you don't know me but I promise you can trust me.

terrornext wrote:

Guest wrote:

terrornext, if you believe that there is nothing bad smoking weed can cause, than it's your right. But you have no right at all to tell these people that they didn't experience what they did, or just claim out of the blue sky, that anxiety is completely unrelated to smoking marijuana. There are hundreds of threads on here where people describe what is happening to them and it's not "therapeuthical" at all. Besides, you're just trying to push somebody into smoking again (why would he need weed if there are no problems when you are not smoking it?) or "popping a pill" - that alone tells a lot about where your knowledge comes from.
It's well proven that marijuana has effects on sleeping patterns, on and off it. The only difference here that it gotten connected with anxiety.

I would love for you to show me one reputable study from a reputable source that came to the conclusion that marijuana use effects someone's sleeping patterns. I dare you too. 

Marijuana is proven to clear anxiety and stress, that is therapeuthical kid. And by your logic how can you prove that anxiety is completely unrelated to not drinking milk or not listening to your ipod for a few days? There's no causal link between between "quitting smoking weed" and anxiety or depression the reason is because THC is scientifically proven to NOT cause these effects. 

Sure there's a hundred threads on here about anxiety which people believe is from marijuana use, but hundreds of millions of people experience anxiety everywhere in the world so just because a hundred people have complained about it on this forum it doesn't prove anything. Look, anxiety is triggered by stress smoking marijuana relieves stress, so how is that not a cure to his problems. This guys stress doesn't stem from not using marijuana, thats just logically evident, but from his every day life.

Marijuana isn't addictive, being withheld from the drug isn't going to trigger any negative physical or psychological effects. And it was three weeks he said since he stopped using it, the anxiety shouldve began sooner if there was truly a link.

By the way, what's wrong with smoking weed? Marijuana isn't a drug, you should really learn what a drug is. By the way, there's nothing wrong with pooping a pill before bed every night to go to sleep until he's able to go to sleep without having to do so in like a week.

It's really, but really simple - just stop smoking it. And stop taking any pills or whatever to help you when you do stop. Go hang out with the same people who do smoke - but you stay off it. Just try ignoring the smoke. Than come back and tell me if it's a drug or not.

Here is a reputable study for you! I am 41 yrs of age, and started smoking when I was like 10 yrs old.... It was around my house, father Vietnam vet. Weed was an every day thing in my house hold! There are thousands of post, blogs, and studies that relate the use of weed to anxiety, panic attacks, sleep dis orders, heart palpitations etc.... I, first hand have experienced high anxiety, paranoia both on and off weed, especially OFF weed when trying to quit. After a month of not smoking those problems subside, and because of quiting and starting and quiting again with the same results proves to me there are substantial side effects and withdrawal symptoms from marijuana use. Which brings me to the conclusion weed is addictive... 90% psychological and 10% physical. If you don't quit smoking now you will from experience, or you will be one of the many who can't stop, and makes excuses to why weed isn't addictive or harmful. The use of weed also pulls your synapse apart, this is why you get SLOW HEAD when you smoke lol. Alot of people try and make excuses for weed use, Like it doesn't cause cancer because the molecules are round, unlike tobacco molecules that are jagged so it sticks to your lungs... true! But the mental effects are alot more serious then you think. Weed is soft, and cuddly, and it's most diffenetly a sleeping monster, and will eventually wake up!

Sincerely, Been smoking for years!

Terrornext... You are AN ABSOLUTE JUNKIE JACKA$$. Man your life must suck... Probably explains why you are one if the burnouts that wastes his time defending a mind altering substance. Without weed you are nothing. It is is control of you not vice versa. Seek help bro cause you're a very sad case.

You are wrong. Plain and Simple. YOU may not have withdrawal symptoms, but A LOT including me DO. Stop being condescending like you are higher than this. 

Terrornext you are a complete fool to tell someone that....im a recovering addict from crack opiates alcohol and benzos all which is very physical..im now 16 days clean of pot as well and im having bad psychological withdrawal that im afraid to go to fking sleep cause of what i might see...so yes my study shows that if you are an addict you will get addicted..weed may be good for cancer and hiv patients but it is not good for the addict at all....i had to learn this the hard way and get honest with myself as i also use to defend king cannabis. Some people can smoke it and be fine others will get addicted. I was a daily smoker and ask any doctor they will tell you its nots for everyone.

Don't let anyone convince you pot cannot cause anxiety. I've used it on and off for 20 years. When I first started, everything was great, then I started having panic attacks and actually passed out one time and fell down. At first this would only happen when I smoked. I thought the stuff was laced or something. But then it started happening when I wasn't smoking and I felt like I was going to die, so I went to the doctor during an attack, and they took blood and my O2 levels were high, so they told me it was a panic attack. They put me on buspirone which really didn't help and actually made me high when I took it. Only when I stopped smoking did all this eventually subside. this was way back when I used to believe in the healthcare system and pharmaceuticals until I realized how much of a scam and greed fast it is and how bad meds are for your health. nutrition is key and I haven't taken meds for over a decade including antibiotics. years later I started smoking again and knowing the cause of anxiety when I felt an attack coming on I was able to control it mentally and not have an attack which was fine. but eventually it progressed into sudden wake Up's when trying to fall asleep in my subconscious mind I could no longer control and prevent an attack from happening, and I would wake up suddenly gasping for air as if I stopped breathing. This would happen even if I didn't smoke that day or for many days. I eventually had to let all the THC leave my system before that went away. Other members of my family have had similar experiences I guess it is not for everyone. forgive the punctuation and other errors due to my mobile device speech to text.