Locked New Topic Followed by 1 people
Hi. I am on my fourth day of not smoking marijuana and the stomach pains after I eat are almost unbearable. Is this normal? What can I do about it? I don't want to eat anything because most things besides crackers and bread make me have indigestion, pain and sometimes neausea. How lond will this last?

I would have to disagree...
First of all the feeling she has are real.
Anything we feel comes from the brain first so to say it's just all in her head seems ridiculous and cocky, scientists are still debating the withdrawal theory from marijuana...so for u to say it's not real seems a little arrogant.
I know what it feels like to come off the pot...it sucks, it's an addiction for some of us congrats to u all that don't have this prob. but for some it is real.
I have felt the depression (I have contemplated suicide during the withdrawl period) and hopelessness. Ive had the nausea and insomnia...
I think some people use marijuana to cope as I have and coming down off of that coping mechanism can be rough. You have to learn a new way to deal..
My advice is to keep with it...It does get better. If you're an addict the feeling of wanting to get high never goes away. It's like any other addiction. You just deal with it day to day.. Goodluck.

I'm quitting now too and am going through the same thing. I'll be damed if it's in my head.

hey all,

this is my fourth day of not smoking pot. the reason i stopped was that i was experienceing major anxiety attack, panic or paranoi even when i wasnt high. very weird, i had never experienced this before. my withdrawal symptoms are that i am waking up every 2 hours, i sweat often, and my anxiety or fear is hopefuuly supsiding . i guess this is normal, but when does the withdrawal symptoms get better?

I would advise you disregard almost everything Bobby has said, as it is almost all medically innacurate.

The theory that marijuana is not physically addictive is a myth, mostly spread by teenagers. It is not AS physically addictive as heroin, cocaine, and so on, but that does not mean it is by any means not physically addictive. It is mildly physically addictive, but that all depends on the quantity and regularity of the individual's THC intake. For really heavy smokers, substantial physical addiction occurs, resulting in substantial physical symptoms of withdrawl whilst quitting.

The withdrawls people are describing are common, and mostly harmless. They SHOULD pass quite quickly, within a week or two. If they don't, or if they worsen, then the problem could be unrelated and definitely worth seeing a doctor about.

Stomach pains / weight-related symptoms are very common among heavy users who have quit, as are sleep-related problems, concentration-related problems, and other such complaints.

I haven't heard of any withdrawl symptoms directly related to marijuana useage that haven't passed relatively quickly.

I have experienced the severe stomach pain that you are talking about from not only quitting smoking mj but while smoking mj also because if any of the smoke gets into your stomach at all it causes stomach ulcers. The stress from quitting then inturn also disturbes your stomach ulcer. There is nothing about an ulcer that is in your head it is the most painful thing I have ever experienced and I have 4 children. I have found that drinking lots of unchlorinated water and antacids (malox) usually dullen the pain a bit, milk will take it away but my doctor says it, worsens the condition in the long run. I have yet to find anything that takes it away totally. If anyone knows I would be eternily greatful to know how to subside that pain.

I would try a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar before each meal. When your stomach hurts and it feels like its burning, it is not from too much acid but basically not enough. Your stomach senses their is not enough acid, so it floods your stomach with it and viola, you get major stomach pain. Try the apple cider, i think it will help you.

As for me I am contemplating quitting. i am a major undreachiever who has skated by for 20+ years as a pot addict (I'm 43). I get by, but want more for myself. I think the pot morning, noon and night is getting in the way(yeah, no kidding). I haver managed to quit several times for about a week, but then the symptons get to me I beleive. I always try to quit cold turkey as if I have it around, I will smoke it. There are also outside influences like stock market crashes (I am a Financial Advsior, with an excellent record) which occured during quitting attempts, which have made it harder. I am thinking of quitting tommorow, so if my past quitting record gives any insight, it would probably be a good idea to go short the markets. If I relapse you should probably cover. LOL

I am also an excellent golfer. Golf also indicates that i should quit. The couple times I have quit, have resulted in 4 of 6 golf rounds in the 60's(64,67,69,69), all in tournament golf. As I type this i realize what an id**t i am for destroying my potential with pot. maybe in a few years i will be on TV and will start with the jesus and breaking the addiction c**p. Just Kidding. Never.

Should I go cold turkey or try to wean myself off of it. Perhaps if I could learn self control and not smoke until prior to bed for a while then try to spread it out further and further i may have more success.

Giving up pot has always been hard for me too, probally for the same reason of not having great self control.i have also sufferd the pains in the gulliver as well as chest pains(my late night eating habits probally don't help either).

This being said i have cut down alot over the past week just having a
bifta before bed to help with the sleeping problems, and finally give it the
boot august 31. and yes i know it's only been a couple of days but this time i'm going to make it happen, i have to because i want different things for myself.

this last bit is for the guy who posted before me if you ever come back to read.I've only been smoking a short time in comparison (6 years morning.noon.night) i can't pin point why right now i'm a little messy
(i'm sure you understand) but for whatever reason you just helped me out a whole bunch, thanks man!.
***edited by moderator*** ***emails not allowed***

Hello, up until this past Monday (July 31) I smoked pretty much all day every day for the last four years. I've been trying to quit on my own for awhile but last week I finally made an appointment with a hypnotherapist in a last ditch attempt at quitting.

Honestly, I think the hypnotherapy is helping a lot. Whenever I have tried to quit before the cravings have been almost unbearable which led to me smoking again. But this time I haven't been experiencing the cravings, only the physical withdrawal symptoms (lack of appetite, sweating, nausea). The other times I tried to quit on my own I would constantly be thinking about getting high and how bad I wanted to smoke, but this time I'm just thinking about how annoyed I am that I can't eat a decent meal.

Hopefully this will go away soon for all of us.

I find this pretty interesting because I just quit on 7-19-06. I had been wanting to quit for sometime now, but my husband kept bringing it to me. That was his way of making his drinking except able. He is an alcoholic and if I kept smoking pot then I was no better then him. I have been a pot smoker now for about 20 yrs. and have been with my husband for 16 yrs. I'm not blaming him, but he doesn't help. Anyway, I have quit before, but for only about 5 months at a time.
The last time I quit was when I quit cigs. on Dec. 19 2004. I quit for about 6 months, but I was having a hard time with quitting cigs. and started smoking pot again. I found it was a lot easier not smoking cigs. if I smoked pot. So, for the last year that's all I have done was smoke pot. All day long, a puff or two of pot about every half hour or so. All I did was replace cigs. for pot.
On 7-19-06 I smoked my last bowl and ended up at the doctor's office. I was having a bad case of acid reflux and anxiety. That's why I decided no more I was done. I thought I was having a heart attach. It was terrible my lungs were also hurting. I assumed it was acid reflux. I also had some nausea and times where my body got really hot, I was literally burning up and running a fever,the flu virus had been going around and the doctor's said it was probably that. Did I mention I haven't told my doctor about my pot smoking ?
It's been almost 4 weeks now since I've smoked pot. My lungs still ache and so does my stomach. This acid reflux thing really sucks and I know it has to be acid reflux cause I burb several times through out the day and once in a while I will that gross acidly stuff will come up my throat. I also never get headaches and for the last 4 days I have had a constant headache in the back of my head.
I am also a ovarian cancer survivor and I'm just wondering if this is normal or if I should be concerned. Please help me if you can. I guess my paranoia is really kicking in. My main worry is my lungs aching and my nonstop headache.

Nice to know that Im not hte only one with these problems. In comparison to most of you I have only been smoking for about 3 months straight, I have smoked for 2 years on and off, but I noticed that it has been bad and I just have been smoking way to much in general this summer. I started getting pains and feeling louzy on the days i didnt smoke. Honestly it was starting to worry me. So i quit as of last friday and have been having all the common symptons.

I quoted the statement above because it does in fact work. Keep your mind off of pot, think of other things to do. I find that playing video games or stuff of that genre helps to keep your mind off the chronic. Gatorade, Flat Coke, Saltines, 7 grain bread and Mallox is pretty much what Im surviving off of right now. Friday and Saturday were by far the worst days for me. Everyday I keep improving and the stomach pains/nausea weaken.

People it takes a lot of will power and trust in yourself. Dont let the sh*t get to your head, always try to keep a positive attitude because its the best you can do to keep yourself from feeling worse. Good luck.

Bobby(The "Mature"... "Unbeliever" in withdrawls and, "It's in your head.") My husband is into his fourth day of being abstinent from weed. Let me just inform you "Mature" human being. First of all, there have been many studies performed at high organizations regarding the effects of being abstinent from marijuana. Those studies performed showed the withdrawl symptoms humans endure are close to those of my husbands which are: -night sweats -cramping -chills -stomach pains -headaches (severe) -depression -anxiety -anger These are all physical symptoms which have been proven due to the body wanting to release all Toxins that are associated with Marijuana and most importantly THC. The most common physical effect are night sweats and are due to the toxins screaming to get out of your body through your skin. It is the body's natural process in getting rid of unwanted wastes in the body. Night sweats, anxiety, stomach pains, and depression lead to loss of appetitite and also dehydration which in turn leads to severe headaches. Just to let you know "Bobby" that I am actually in Medical School at a very high class school and you should watch what you say and especially analyze and research a topic before opening your big "Mature" mouth. It sounds to me like it is, "All in your head," that human beings don't have any physiological symptoms regarding marijuana withdrawal . F.Y.I- Grow Up.

I was using pot for a while and stopping was quite hard. I felt a lot of depression, ate very little each day (and did so with stomach aches), and the cravings for it were very stong. What helped me the most was to try to be as happy as possible (staying away from anything that was depressing or sad and being with people that cared for me). I would try to mentally prepare myself each day by thinking good thoughts, and doing my best to keep a peacefull, happy and healthy mind (I guess you could call it meditation). Like someone else had said, keeping busy (playing video games, filling your days, not just sitting around all day) helps. Though I didn't feel like eating and i had slight constant stomach pains, I tried to keep a balanced diet. In the end, I went almost a week and all symtoms had weakend greatly, except for cravings. I still smoke, but not every day. Maybe 3 times a week or so.

I have just decided to stop smoking pot. I have been on it every evening for the past year. I love music and I involved listening, watching and playing music with pot for the past year. I became agitated and confused when I didnt have any on Wednesday and realised that I was either gonna be stuck with it or stop. Stopping is the only option. I have so much to get better for my girl, my band and life in general. I have been off it for 2 days and are determined to stay off what ever it takes cos this is the worst thing that has ever happened to me. Any ideas on how to get my mind off the withdrawals would be a god send. I have started to go for walks which are good, and i heard one guy say video games, etc were a good options but I cant seem to sit still. The evenings are the worst because thats when i would have it.

Hi, Im a 22 yr old female and ive been smoking pot morning noon night , mid morning mid noon and midnight, for 7 years now. I decided i had to quite cold turkey, i recently this last year started experiencing SEVERE anxiety/panic disorder, and i just cant take it anymore, unless you have had it, you cannot even descibe the unbareable thoughts of wanting to die. This is hard for me because im also quiting the caffeine along with the pot. Its only day 3 now, and im doing fairly well, A little shakey, but im not sure which withdrawals im having here, my anxiety has seemed to lessen. Im not having craving for either which is a first for me, since ive tried to quite slowly several times. and its super hard considering my husband is a FULL TIME weed smoker, and refuses to quite. But im doing well and everything all you guys have said up there really helps me to know i will get through this. and any advice i can give is that "IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and its hard to get used to the life of not being stoned 24/7 but just keep going, just think millions and millions and millions of poeple dont smoke it, and never had, and they have a normal life. well, you know what i mean. The other advice is that keep active, not necessarly exercise, but, just plan your days where your always doing somthing constantly and you wont think about it as much, stay around people who dont smoke it, like your parents or grandparents or whatever. And if the effects get to bad for you, tell your doctor, they are there to help and in the past i was prescribed xanex, but i dont like how tired it makes me feel, so im trying this time totally sober. <3 <3 <3