I have been smoking marijuana daily/semi-daily since about age 14 and I am now 24. About 3 years ago I quit for about 3-4 weeks to see if all that “clear head” and “improved cognitive functioning” talk was true. After quitting for those few weeks to be honest I really did not seem to think more “clearly” and did not see an improvement in my study habits but I also did not experience those marijuana withdrawal symptoms everyone is talking about (i.e. insomnia, irritability, night sweats, ect.) so I figured it was not effecting my day to day life whether I smoked or not so I began smoking again and have been ever since. The past 2 years I have began having problems falling asleep; I am always drenched in sweat when I wake up. Also even more recently I have started to become anxious and depressed and it is slowly getting worse and worse. I thought marijuana was to blame for some of these symptoms especially the anxiousness and depression. I was recently sick with some type of flu or something and while I was sick I fell behind in my studies for college (I am almost done with my undergrad and still have a strong GPA) so to make up for my loss study time I figured that I would quit smoking pot to maybe get some “clear head” and “memory” benefits everyone is talking about and also I wanted to see it marijuana is the cause for my recent onset of anxiety and depression. So I quit smoking 4 days ago (longest time I have gone since I quit 3 years ago) and I was just on-line reading about how long it takes to start seeing some of those benefits from quitting and all I have come across is people talking about these terrible withdrawal symptoms. My concern is that I already experienced these symptoms of insomnia, anxiety and depression way before I even thought about quitting. I actually thought quitting would reduce these symptoms but it seems that quitting is creating/increasing these symptoms for many people who have recently quit. I have 3 test next week and I cannot afford to have any more anxiety or an increased difficultly falling asleep furthermore, I am wondering if I will even see any of these memory/cognitive improvements after only 1 week?? If not how long does it really take to see improvements in memory ect.? Days? Months?

I am 30 and started smoking weed at 16. since then i have smoked almost everyday. about a year ago i started to dislike smoking all the time. i realized i was wasting my life and i was very unhealthy. i tried to stop smoking at this time and since my significant other smoked regularly it was very difficult. 3 months ago we separated, and 2 months ago i quit smoking weed. (i live in BC and the weed is extra good here) the first few weeks were not bad at all, a little anxiousness, a little insomnia nothing too severe(an undergrad may think this is worse than it is), but at two months i am becoming several depressed, my counselor tells me that it will take 3 months to completely clear my system, and the depression actually comes from the emotions the weed has covered up for many years. most people get severe depression when they quit and it should (i hope ) subside in the third month. you will start to realize why you smoke weed so much and deal with the situations directly.

it can take up to 6 weeks until your brain starts to function normally after quitting.

im 26, smoke every day till 19..last year when i tried to stop,  i had these terrible sympthons after quitting, insomnia, anxyet, really really depressive, not hungry, panick attacks(i never had before)..but after 30 days my hungry was back, my insomnia quit too..i stay clear for 4 months.. the big problem for me was my REM sleep, rlyyyy hard to get it and alot of bad dreams, so vivid that i wake up so tired...and about the hard depression..was my faul to back to pot

Im wondering to quit again, but my fear is about the depression and anxyets, i joined a university in this year and i dont want to feel these sympthons again :( 

It can take up to 3 months for your brain to start operating properly after quitting. Your brain will start producing dopamine and other neurotransmitters again at 6 weeks, but it does not produce normal amounts until the 3rd month. it takes about 6 weeks to clear all the cannabinoids from your brain but that does not mean its operating correctly.

It can take up to TWO YEARS for your brain to completely rewire. Especially for someone who has smoked it daily for years. Somewhere after 3 months brains just starts producing own dopamine and canabinoids so it can take a lot of time to completely re-balance itself (between 6 months - 2 years). Told by neurologist and from my own experience. Don't fool yourself.

how long did you smoke for>

8 years every day about 2 grams