My boyfriend just stopped smoking after about 16 years of constant everyday use. I myself have never been addicted to anything and want to know what I can do to help him but I also want to know what to look out for. He also quit drinking in the beginning of October after doing that heavily for about 10 years and moved to my home which is in a different city then he was in for his entire life basically. I am just concerned that these are to many changes all at once and he may regress at some point when I least expect it. I just think it would be helpful for me to know what to look out for and how understanding I should be and for how long before we can move on and lead a normal life.

If you know anything about these issues any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi: I smoke pot but for a VERY legite reason. I have a rare sleep disorder and the Dr.'s tried me on all kinds of drugs to stop the , (Night Screams), and sleep walking. Due to the fact that I actually leave the house they decided to try me on a drug that basically paralyses your body, NOT! I had 2 small Kids, need to beable to wake up. My Husband at the time was a very heavy user, still is and suggested I try smoking pot, as it puts alot of people to sleep, it actually worked and to this day if I don't smoke one before bed I'm freaking the whole house out .I have woke with many injuries, last summer I really hurt myself and am still recovering, (still have no idea what happened) but it was because I decided to go cold turkey off pot as I really hate smoking it. I think it's alot like quitting smoking, but what helped me was keeping buisy esp. during the times you usually smoke it. Alot of people will smoke at the same time everyday, ea: right after dinner, just before bed, etc. Try and avoid doing the same thing that he's use to doing < " smoke time". Do you know what I mean? With me I do it at night after everyones in bed, to quite I made sure I stayed buisy and changed my routine until the physical side effects where over or barrable. Remember that it's a life time addiction, make sure he does'nt replace that with some other addictive substance, This really happens alot , I've seen and am dealing with now. BE PATIENT, AND DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY. If it's to hard on you that's perfectly ok , be supportive but give lots of room, ( for your own good), once he's pulled through it he'll reallize. It depends on how much you can take don't let it hurt you to but let him know how you feel and if you can't handle it tell him and reassure him you'll be there in the future. I don't smoke cigs. but I know lots who've quite so you may be getting a double whammy. Lots of water and keep buisy.

GOOD LUCK

you all are prob smoking weed that is laced with dangerous substances, i dont know about you all but i use to grow my own and would smoke that and felt just fine, but of course im a health nut and dont focus much on bad thoughts as a rule, but some of these symptoms seem like what i felt when i bought that stuff from dealers, excessive sweating, feeling very depressed, kinda like in the twilight zone sounds like pcp, you should be carefull if buying this stuff on the street

Hello everybody I've found some of your posts are very positive although the people that posted negative feedback shouldn't even post at all. Im 24 yrs old i've been high for almost 10 yrs and I'm on my fourth day not smoking and have a large amount of energy. I've experienced this before when I quit for 2months. My reason for quitting is that my concentration in general has been deteriorating over time. I am in my senior yr in college and in some of my harder classes and need to focus. People are all different individuals and there body processes are different. I know people that smoke like a stack and say that they need weed and there's nothing wrong with it. For me though it makes me very tired and I can have after affects of anxiety. I've been saying I'm going to quit for good for about 5 yrs, people that know me laugh when I say I'm going to quit because I say it alot. This time I'm trying to do it for real. I want to be alert more and I notice I have an immense amount of concentration and energy when I'm not high. The marijuana withdrawals could be different for everyone, I am experiencing lack of sleep, headaches, and slight chills. The biggest reason I think people can't quit and are addicted because of long-term use, if you've been smoking everyday it's part of your every day activity so it is hard to go through the day and try not to think of lighting up. You also have to really want to quit, I want to be a good role model when I have kids someday not teaching them how I have to be dependent on something. Any excessive use of a drug is bad and I sometimes can be self-destructive and have no self-control. People say just cut down but there is no way I can do that if I'm going to smoke I'm going to smoke all the time. So I'll probably be up for awhile, hopefully this night will be better. Thanks to all the postive people

Hello everybody! I first want to say that the people that have positive posts are awsome and the people that have negative feedback in there posts shouldn't even post at all. Every person is a different individual and we all have different body processes. Some of my friends smoke weed like a stack and think that I'm crazy for talking bad about it. I've been high for almost 10 yrs, I'm 24 yrs old with only quitting the most for two months about 3 yrs ago. I'm on my fourth day of not smoking and I feel a little wired o.O . My symptoms are not bad besides the restlessness. I have headaches and slight chills here and there. It is a common fact that any excessive use of a drug is unhealthy for your body one way or the other. I'm in my senior yr in college and realize I think I want to take better care of my body, I can be self-destructive and have no self-control at times and especially with weed I either smoke all the time or don't smoke at all. There is no happy medium. Alot of kids that I grew up with sold weed and smoke everyday, most of them saying that they did better in school when they were high. That is a lie, first of all have of them never even graduated and started getting it to bigger and better things if you know what mean. Some people do say smoking weed is good for people people with disorders such as bipolar, maybe so. I'm just trying to say that everyone is different and just because someone feels one way that doesn't mean everyone else is based on that particular persons body process. I want to have a successful job after school and hopefully have kids someday, I don't want to give the message to them that I have to be dependent on something that I really don't need. At first it's hard to quit because you base everyday on smoking, but just think all the other advantages overcome being high all day. Everyone that I see that has been smoking for a very long time including most of the parents I grew up around, there all BURNT-OUT. It doesn't mean that there bad people but in my profession I need to be focused and have immense energy. I think I started smoking because I had so much energy and anxiety, but weed only makes my anxiety worse. We need to deal with who we are and we all have strengths and weaknesses, When I was younger I smoked weed to get over things especially when I was a teenager. My father's suicide bothered me and my Mom raising four kids on her own in assistance housing with dealing with an alcohol problem that still persists today. I had alot of responsibilities when I was young, but our lives, whatever they are, make us who we are why do we want to cloud that vision. Everything in life is a battle, nothing is easy 8-| . Keep up the good work and good things will come to you. : :-D

Hey Everybody,
My name is Sarah and Im a third year university student studying molecular biology and genetics. I have been smoking weed now chronically (everyday and several times a day) for over four years. Although smoking weed has never killed my ambition, and I have managed to pull off high grades in school, I cant help but wonder what I could do if I didnt smoke it. I just quit smoking a few days ago- and like many of you am experiencing bad withdrawals. I had no idea that you could get withdrawls from smoking weed, but it is very real. I am having problems sleeping, loose bowl movements, nightmares, irritability and nausea. These withdrawls are helping me realize the severity of my addiction.
Just because your not one of the "lazy potheads", living at home in your moms basement, does not mean that you dont have a problem.

So anyways, the point of my reply is that I am having a very difficult time quitting, and could use some support (As my friends just laugh when i say that I am addicted to weed and am having withdrawls).
If there is anybody else out there that is going through the same thing as me and could use some support also, I would love to talk to you. A friend to help keep you on the right track and motivated towards a better future?
-Thanks- and hopefully I can hang in there and realize that i DONT need marijuana to be happy. I have a lot of goals for myself in life, and I want to do great things- so the last thing I need is a useless habit destroying my potential.
As much as I realize the severity of my problem, and have a strong urge to quit- IT IS JUST SO DAMN HARD

everybody interested in MJ withdrawals and wanting to quit puffin should check this great thread on this same site:

https://www.steadyhealth.com/Symptoms_of_the_marijuana_withdrawals-t52868-0-asc-0.html

(Sorry for this ugly link, couldn't do better..)

i used weed for 3 years straight and cigs for 4 years straight.And like 2 months ago i just looked at the mirror and i decided they r not for me and i quit cold turkey. its been 2 months and i didnt smoke anything at all, i feel like superman now, just to let you guys now WEED is not innocent. it just kills you slowly, dont kill yourself. just do it; people who are consistent and succesful about quitting drugs are more likely to be succesfull in life...dont forget!

I quit a bit ago and my withdrawal symptoms after being a fairly casual smoker (about twice a week at the peak) were SEVERE depression, irritability, mood swings, lack of sleep, intense dream return (i didn't notice til i quit but i had totally stopped dreaming while using weed), anxiety... oh my the anxiety is the worst. I could be walking down the street and just feel like i was under attack.... by nothing. Worst feeling i have ever had in my life. I tried to "save" my friends who after i quit i could see just how bad they had the withdrawal symptoms too but they all get REALLY upset when i question the good of their precious pot. I used to do it too though so i guess i can't blame them.

Pot is scary.... it is almost like it has a mind of its own and makes you think it is on your team. The only way i got myself to quit was to get very introspective about what i was like before pot and see the pattern of depression that was related to every time i STOPPED smoking. See that's the thing... people think that pot keeps them happy... but really there is just a bad period to go through before you rediscover REAL happiness. That lasts....

I have been smokin pot for 13 years. Recently I have been trying to quit smoking a few times. Thing is there is one of the symptoms that is really bothering me and that I fear will never go away. After about 5 days, I feel very weak. And this weakness I have discovered what it is. My son is diabetic. So I know about the effect how high and low blodd sugar. So I decided to check my blood sugar. My blood sugar level was 3.1 , that's too low, everyone should have a stead level of about 5.8 . Worst part is: after 2 weeks of not smoking one morning i felt really tired and checked my blood sugar. Get this it was 1...yes you heard me right a blood sugar level of 1 that's borderline coma. Even if i would eat a lot(force myself) I would still feel week if i didn't smoke at least once every couple of days. Now I don't know if it is because of all those years of having the munchees and drinking pop or what but something is wrong and i can grantee you that every time I would smoke again it would go away and my b;ppd sugar would stabilize.

Hi, before anyone reads this sad post please try to understand why I am here. I have smoked for about 25 years I come from South Boston Mass, and the drugs are just a way of life there if you live in Southie you have a choice to become a cop, fireman or a drug dealer well I married my high school sweetheart and he made the choice to deal drugs pot, coke. We have become a product of our upbringing as for why I am here, I want and need to stop smoking and hope that I can .I have lost sooo much in my life due to being raised in the city by a drunk I may add. I am scared to death to become sober from pot I dont want to find another vice as I am sure it would be very easy to pick up a glass of wine or whiskey and just crawl into the bottom . My worst fear of my life became true about 4 years ago MY 19 baby girl Sarahbeth hanged herself because she got involved with E and Cocaine OH my god I smoked weed with her and I didnt know that I was hurting her WELL I DID HURT HER AND I WILL LIVE WITH THIS THE REST OF MY LIFE . Sorry to make this post so ugly but yes what we do and say our kids are watching. I can cry till I die or I can stop living in the past and learn how to live a sober life without my Sarahbeth I am very scared and not to mention married to a crack head my second husband . I feel trapped and all alone . I hope that there is someone out there that could help me learn just how to do this if I have not scared you enough please help me ? Susie

You have to get counseling if you haven't already. Also, I believe we all come in to this world as individuals to learn specific things so maybe you needed to live through this and learn from it, but your daughter also came and learned a lesson and then left. She was separate from you and even though as mother's we can't see that all the time she was her own person and made her own choices. I have a son with a disability which I couldn't admit until he was older...mild compared to what you're going through I know, but my point is, I feel guilty ALL THE TIME. The guilt is NOT good and does not help you in anyway. Is there someplace you can go away to for a few weeks? At least check out the Women's Center in Cambridge at 46 Pleasant St. 617-354-6394. If the moderator removes the number, google women's center south boston. Please, please get some help. I will meditate for you, Susie. Try really hard to get through this.

I have felt/experienced almost every symptom of marijuana withdrawals that I have seen listed.
Some history of my marijuana usage:
I smoked for almost exactly 1 year straight, the rate (amount of pot consumption) increased week after week almost in relation to my tolerance level of the pot(which I was able to tell by how long I was high for).
I ended up smoking 1-2grams a day, which is about 1 1/2 joints and a few bowls.
Now for my quitting experience, which I am still sadly under going.
I quit smoking on 05-26-10, cold turkey. I gave all of my pipes and pieces away. Just before I quit I started having terrible chest pains, anxiety I believe. I didn't start having stomach pains right away but I did notice the lack of appetite. I believe this was caused by my body not normally needing to have its own cravings because I almost always was high and the pot took over the eating for my body. I have been having random weird dreams lately almost like nightmares but not really scary. I also started experiencing the feeling of paranoia, let me enlighten that word. What I mean is I would freak out, I would feel like I ate too much and my stomach was going to explode, I also thought sometimes I had something seriously wrong with my heart because I would think the rythm was off and it was beating too hard for what I was doing.
It's now 6-12-10 and The last 2 weeks and a half have been very hard on me. Lost of appetite is terrible, I feel very sick after eating just a little bit of food. And mind you this. I never had a paranoia about the pot causing an issue. In fact I thought it was an acid indigestion issue which I have found through several experiences (reading through post) that it's a common misunderstanding seeing as the stomach pain feels the same. I feel almost like I am bloated or like I have ate to much and sometimes its mixed between feeling full and hungry at the same time. It's been really hard on me and I fear the worst has yet to come but I know I wanna quit and I still have not touched or even looked at pot. It's been 17 days, I was afraid I had become dependent on it. I read somewhere that if you inhale inproperly and absorb smoke into your stomach it can cause these ulcers which act up whenever they don't have the THC constantly absorbing into them. It all makes a lot of sense that all these symptoms that everyone else has I am experiencing them as well. I highly doubt it's a coincidence. I have been really moody lately. I get super pissed at ridiculous things, for example; i hit my head on my cars hatch and I immediately went ballistic, punching things. I feel a lot better knowing that marijuana is an addiction and that your body becomes dependent on the thc.
6-12-10: I tested positive for THC after 17 days(roughly) I was a heavy smoker, all day long every couple hours I had a good 2 bowls worth of pot(pretty high grade pot as well). I just wanna encourage all of you that quitting does not have to be so hard, by remembering you are not alone. Lots of people quit all the time and feel all the same symptoms you are feeling. Just hang in there. It will pass. As for me, my stomach is in a lot of pain right now. :-( But just keep your mind off of it and what ever you do, don't go back to pot thinking it will help you. It will make it harder in the long run. Do yourself the favor now! You have the power!

DAMN HARD IS RIGHT! But do not give up!

Oh thank god! I am tryin to quit pot and i am having bad anxiety attacks everywhere for no reason. I can be home or out in public and it just hits and its the worst so you gotta leave whatever you are doin and lay down.