Im 37 yrs old and I think masterbation/sex is affecting my mind.i use to masterbate alot in teenage,Ive been jerking off since I was 12 about twice every single day.I wish I could stop but I cant. I feel really low self esteem,shame and guilt after I ejaculate.I also get frequent headaches and need more sleep.I also experience lots of depression,anxiety and compulsiveness.I sometimes feel like I dont want to speak to anyone and just stay in my room the whole day.Is it something to do with the chemicals dopamine and serotonin imbalances in my brain(Ive been doing quite a bit of research as you can tell)Im always thinking about what things I have done wrong and ways on how to improve my life.It is a feeling hard to explain like if Life is passing me by,Like Im lm lost in life.Sometimes I feel that Life isnt worth living.Im not the same person I used to be. Is masterbation killing me slowly?Im tired of all this.I wonder if other people feel like me?PLEEZ NEED A REPLY ASAP Thanx Smile

I'm 47 and feel the same as you

i feel pretty much the same and i'm 19, although i try my best not to masturbait as much as i used to, i try to exercise everyday and i feel better, i still dont get out as much as i should, i but i still have of scars which i can never get rid of so that sucks, but yeah, just try to fight through it, find a hobby to keep you more occupied and you can enjoy

its in ur head. this happens alot, it feels like a cheat right? after u ejaculate? well its normal, happens to everyone, and like 95% of the people in this world masturbate and its fine. i think u should lay off the masturbation, set a schedule perhaps. i do it on saturday, and sometimes during the week.

This is normal. Masturbation can be used to relieve stress/anxiety/depression and a host of other conditions. It is also normal to masturbate frequently.

I believe you should seek counseling (psychologist) and get a referral to a psychiatrist if need be.

I am not a doctor, but I think you should seek professional help. You have done a good research and come to the conclusion that you are suffering from a depression, which is most likely due to lack of dopamine in your brain. Because your brain is deficient of dopamine, the neurotransmitter which our brain uses for pleasure, you are eliciting the release of dopamine through masturbation. Masturbation itself is not what's the problem, but it seems that your emotional state is.

You should talk to a psychiatrist about the possibility of depression in your case. You might also want to look into bupropion, an anti-depressant which inhibits the uptake of dopamine and norepinephrine in your brain. Once your chemical imbalance is fixed you won't have to rely so much on masturbation to feel positive and calm your anxieties.

just go with it. be honest and open about it. dont hide it. i don't, i tell my wife when i did it ( or going to do it ). its a great feeling but not as great as sex. but women are not like men. they do not always want to have sex. i've been rubbing one off since i was 5 looking through magizines, i used to think the same way but i realized that if you are honest with yourself and your girl(if you have one) then everything is OK...

does masturbating really cause all of those problems
(im a girl tho)

Yes it does cause an imbalance of dopamine and depiction of them. As you already know these are your receptors that trigger pleasure in the brain. So if you notice after you masturbate will have less enjoyment from the daily actives you do, less concentration, less socializing, less excitement, but more urges. Once your mind recovers those dopamine you will feel better simple pleasure arise. This can become a big social problem and can progress. The best thing to do is get a girlfriend, sound simple but more thought goes into it than you think. She will help you control your masturbation even when you don't realize it, once you guys come close she will make you take your mind off masturbating and you will become more serious in life. Plus sex is much, much better than masturbation, although you might think it's the same processes you body and mind react different after each. However, don't have too much sex only maybe once a week at the most that will keep your body and mind well balanced. Try it and let me know how it works, finding a girl is not hard you just have to find one that fits you. You know what they say if you want to get more girls lower your standards. lol
Masturbation does affect your relationships, family, and friends in the long run, so keep it minimum to none. One more thing try getting your mind in a different mindset, start reading, start will magazines than books. It will be hard at first but the more you progress the less urges you will have. You will have wet dream you can't prevent those. God Bless All!

Hi there,

I'm 14 and I feel that I don't deserve to live and I'm usually depressed most of the time for no apparent reason. I understand where you're coming from and I think that the best thing to do is to pray for a way out of this and just live everyday telling yourself " I've already repented masturbating and I won't do it again". Keep telling yourself that and find something that you enjoy (watchng T.V, playing a musical instrument, etc.). And try not to isolate yourself, even if you're alone in a public setting, it's better than being in a quiet room because you might feel and urge to masturbate. Think that one day  you'll be totally free of masturbating and think the person you'd like to be. And just keep trying to be that person. Take it one day at a time and hopefully you'd feel that you can feel that life's worth something. You're not alone though, I feel almost exactly the way you feel about life not being worth living and all. Just keep trying. That's all I can say : ) 

Thank you for reading this and God Bless You

me 2 i feel same. once i was topper in class and hve lot of friends. but since when i started all dis ol things get ruined. nw i feel very lonely and nt satisfied with life. i wish dat i quit

I am 21 and have been masturbating irregularly since about 13. It is getting in the way of life just like the person that posted this. I constantly think about improving my life and that I always need to be doing something productive. It also doesn't help that I am alone and have access to the internet on my phone or even the internet with 3 different blockers. I really need an intervention or some life improvement as the masturbation is a crutch and I do blame it for my mental problems (bi-polar disorder). I will probably be going to see a doctor about it on Monday. There is a local poor doctor (no insurance needed, $10 co-pay) and they treat depression. If you all really need help you all could try to find a poor doctor too. I truly wish the best for you all. This is an addiction and should be treated like one...

Why don't they teach kids to restrict this habbit. ScAre them a little once a week not before age 14. Once a week is enough. It wrecks the viens in your testicles and penis and you will have to spend rest of your life alone.causes low t. I think if you done it through puberty to much your body doesn't recover ever.

Yep it is

Brother my same mustubion problem. I have been suffer. Plz contact me. I want sheir my bad habits experience. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use