i jumped off methadone at 2.5mg 18 days ago, it was really a walk in the park as i had vicodin and xanax to subside my withdrawals, it truly worked and allowed me to live my life to the most regular extent. Yesterday was day 17 and opted out of taking anything at all. by bedtime, i caved and took a low dose xanax to help me fall asleep. i went to bed at 10, woke up at 3 am, and eventually fell asleep again. today, day 18, ive been experiencing mild irritation, restlessness, fatigue...i had to take a low dose vicodin because im about to head into work. in any case, its day 18...i assume the methadone is out of my system, the symptoms im experiencing must be from the hydrocodone, correct? in which case the symptoms should subside within a few days. i have the option of continuing my hydro/benzo regimen for a while longer, actually for as long as i need to but i just want to be happy and sober. i know im far from it but i have a few days off comin up this weekend so i'm going to endure the "cold turkey" effect. the reason im posting this is for feedback, critique, questions, comments...whatever. 

bottom line - methadone sucks; i tried cold turkey and damn near killed myself because i could not endure it, i have to much in my life going on for me to be suffering and i don't have the possibility to take an extended leave so i resulted to masking the withdrawals with vicodin and xanax, which has been a godsend. 

today is day 21 off methadone. as the above post states, i've been subsiding the effects of methadone withdrawal with the aid of hydrocodone, xanax/clonopine and weed. today, i haven't taken anything and feel sluggish and really tired. recently i have come across vicoprofen [7.5/200 hydrocodone/ibuprofen], an old school drug. figured it was better on the liver than APAP and offers a much lower dose. in any case, i don't intend to use it as yesterday at 4:00pm i took my last dose, previously, i was take 3-4 a day. i don't know what awaits me but i believe the worst is behind me. as i have stated before, attempting cold turkey methadone withdrawal is not for the faint of heart, hell, its not for anybody. i switched over to hydrocodone and maintained minimal doses, and on occasion i did take clonopin/xanax to help my sleep. 

current symptoms: light sneezing, unsettled stomach, a bit of diarrhea, feeling sluggish, tired. 

so as of today, i am 21 days free of methadone, and closing in on 24 hours free of hydrocodone. my xanax and/or clonopin intake has been controlled to the absolute minimal use and i will rely upon benzos to get me through the week, actually ill be playing it by ear i guess. this wouldn't be nearly as hard if i had time to kill. 

Frasier why did you stop taking methadone? It's saved my life from heroin use and other opiates...i'm a methadone advocate but i just wanted to know why you stopped it?