I was on 150 mgs of methadone for 5 years. I decided to come off I got down to 60 mgs and needed to get a job so I needed to hurry it up. I have been going down 5 mgs per weeks and I am now at 20mgs. When I see the Dr. next I will be at 15 mgs. I have tried the clonidine for withdrawals because I have the bone aches and sweats most of the time. I found 10mg of valium with clonidine at night takes that away and I am able to get through the day at work. I thought methadone was the answer to my prayers when I first started it and only intended to be a on a few months. Most of the people I know that are on it stay on for years and years. I don't know how this will end and they tell me going down at 5mgs a week is too fast. I read where one lady said her daughter was going down 5 mgs a day. Wow, my doctors advice against 5mgs a weeks, I don't know how someone would do 5mgs a day. The doctor probably wouldn't agree with the valium but I have to work and that is what gets me through the day. In Vancouver they are starting to give people heroin instead of methadone on a stabalized basis but the person has to be working and all these other conditions. They started doing this because it is easier for them to withdraw a person off the heroin (in small doses I'm sure) than the methadone. Methadone helps but it is one tough thing or long withdrawal period in my opinion.

I went from 90 mg plus a lot of other opiates to zero in 25 days. That was as an inpatient. I craved benzos and got Valium for a couple of nights. Continued that as an outpatient but fortunately did not get hooked. A lot of other stuff was going on in my life and I felt horrible but I just didn't feel like using. Started later on hydrocodone but kicked that in a hurry due to an imminent jail sentence. Ten years off opiates I relapsed and got on methadone because otherwise it was $1,000 a week on mail-order OC (I never used "street" drugs). I'm told now I came off it too fast but after 10 years, I don't know. I'm thinking basically I was self-medicating for menopause. Anyway, here's what I learned: The craving is almost all mental. Now I also take 2 Xanax a night. The docs each know what I'm on, a difference from times past. If you believe in God, pray. It can't hurt