Hey All,

I've been struggling with Heroin and Oxycontin for a year or two now, and I'm in the process of quitting right now, and I have a question:

If I've only taken Methadone once, (50mg, for the 1st day after my last DOC dose), how long should I wait before transitioning to Suboxone?

I am trying out Methadone, to see if it is a way around the 4 hour period that you have to endure withdrawals
for, when going straight from DOC to Suboxone. (Because you have to wait until you are in full withdrawals to take Suboxone!)

The reason I think this may be the case, is because while researching online, I came across a site that says your last dose of Methadone should be 10mg or less, before switching to Suboxone - which I interpreted as meaning you don't have to wait for any amount of time before taking the Suboxone, if your last dose of Methadone was 10mgs or less.

So I figured that I could go from my DOC, to taking Methadone the next day (I won't have to wait, and therefore won't feel any withdrawals at all!), to starting my normal Suboxone routine the following day, before the Methadone has completely worn off.

Now It's the following day - the day I said I would start on Suboxone (I took methadone yesterday), and a little bit of last minute hesitation caused me to double check the internet before actually doing it (you know, just in case the threat of precipitated withdrawals still exists at all), and to my surprise, most website are saying that after taking Methadone, you actually have to wait LONGER to take Suboxone, than if you were only taking a DOC. Like 3 days?? Well, does this apply for every case of methadone? Or is this advice for those of you who have been taking methadone regularly, for weeks or months? I've only taken it once - do I still have to wait that long?

I don't feel any withdrawals yet, and it's been more than 24 hours, but my question is if I still have to wait until I get full blown withdrawals, because I'd rather start taking Suboxone before I experience any withdrawals, but of course I will wait it out to avoid precipitated withdrawals (which I've heard is the worst thing in the world)

I know this is a very specific question, but I wanted to see if anyone out there had the answer? Very Happy

Ok.... a little bit of an update here.

So I took my "last" DOC dose on Saturday Night

Sunday Morning I took 50 mg of Methadone

Monday Morning, almost took suboxone (had been 24 hrs!), but then started reading posts here and decided against it.

Monday Night: feeling slightly shitty, not enough to take suboxone, but enough to make me irritated and uncomfortable. Took 9 Vicodins, and did a little H. Felt much better.

Tuesday Morning: Did a little more H, before going on the airplane from Los Angeles to Hawaii.

Arrived in Hawaii in the afternoon, didn't feel anything.

Went to bed Tuesday night (more than 12 hrs since the H, more than 48 hrs since methadone) still not really feeling much more than a little kicking/aching in the legs, a little cold in the skin, and a LITTLE teary eye/runny nose. But still fell sound asleep with 1 dose of Nyquill.

Woke up Wednesday Morning (NOW) STILL not feeling too terrible. Still have minor aching legs and cold skin, but nothing near the full blown withdrawals I should have. '

WHEN CAN I TAKE SUBOXONE? Again, the WD symptoms aren't what I would normally consider full blown. But it's been more than 72 hours since I took the methadone! (and remember, I only took it once!) And the symptoms I DO have, are uncomfortable, and irritating. I can't believe I would still go into precipitated WDs if i took the sub right now, but people online are saying they've gone into precipitated WD's like 5 days after their last dose!!

I can only think of two explanations:

1. The combo of methadone, vicodin, and scarce H use somehow weened me down to barely feel any withdrawals now, even though there are in fact NO opiates in my system.

2. The methadone is taking an extremely long time to come out of my system, and is still, 72 hrs later, blocking most of my WD symptoms - even though I only took 1, 50mg dose(3 days ago).

Any thoughts, anyone?

Hi my name is heidi I was on methadone/dose for 10 yrs almost, Im 30 i recently in the past year switched to suboxone.. I was at 13 mgs of meth when I transferred idk how long u should wait, but all I did was not take my dose that morning and got an 8 mg suboxone that evening. I was in no withdrawls and I never felt any, but I would suggest to not stay on suboxone to long, cuz in the end its just another addictive drug to come off of which Im trying to do now, good luck with everything. Im new to this site so I hope this goes threw

Seriously? You took methadone in the morning, and then suboxone later that night?? And you had no withdrawals? That's like unheard of, as far as what I've read on the internet

I sure did took my last dose at like 630 am and suboxone at like 545 pm , I was fine maybe it was luck idk

Same here. The first time I got on a suboxone program I was told I had to wait a minimum of 24 hours after taking percocet and I only waited 12hrs and was fine. I also once took percs and mehtadone for a few days and waited only 14hrs after my last dose of 5mg methadone and only suffered mild withrawals for about 25min and was fine. I suppose it's because I have a high metabolism, I don't weigh much for my height and I drink a ton of water. I'm not saying I would recommend this but I do think being in serious withdrawals for 24hrs is nonsense though, it is probably necessary for most people to at least wait until they start to go into withdrawal. It's your roll of the dice!!!

I have the same question, I have been using on and off pretty much only using when I can afford it and taking subs in between.  I usually wait about 12-18 hours after my last dose of H before taking the subs and I'm always fine.  Well last night I took about 30-60mg of Methadone and I'm not feeling well at all been a little over 24 hours.  I want to take a sub, but I'm afraid I haven't waited long enough.  I also am wondering how long I should wait if I've only taken 1 dose of Methadone. 

I have found out that if I take to high of a dose of suboxone after using H or any other opiate it will put me into withdraw.  For the longest time I thought I was alergic to Subs.  I had taken subs in the past with no problem after waiting until into full withdraw,  did this only when not able to afford the H.  After about the 3rd time of doing this I went straight into even worse withdraw even after being in withdraw and this happened about 3 times so I just assumed I became allergic to it.  Well I was sick again and decided to try it but only took 1mg of subs and felt fine so ever since I've been able to take subs again and they work great.  So I assume I was taking to high of a dose to start off with. 

I did the same thing and went into serious witdrawls immeadetly! Take Xanax and pain pills...that's what helped me

Hi

I think one important piece of info missing on this thread is the doss and length of dosing prior to suboxen induction

People are saying the didnt get induced withdrawls after eating a couple percs...!!!!???  Should probly just lay in a hot tub for 18 hrs and you'll be cure of everything, no meds required,

First time I went on Subs was sniffing 400 - 500mg oxy daily for about 3 years.  I waited about 10 hrs into withdrawl just before it starts to kinda max out. had no issues.

2nd time I was IVing about a g of killler down daily for a year about.  Waited until the drawls pretty much just started.  Felt crappy for abit shiot some more dope awoke feeling fine, and stayed on subs only for along tim,e.

From people I know the biggestest scarriest part is going from methadone to suboxen.  IF ur bellow 10mg wait 48hrs, below30mg 72hrs  .  if ur over 30mg ur prob gonna hurt so ween down first,

I've taken methadone in the evening a 2-4 2mg sub the next day and was fine. I e been on methadone for almost 3 years. Just because it affects one person one way doesn't mean it will be the same for you.

I was on methadone maintenance for a year, and have slow tapered for 7 months now to 5mgs every other day, I have a suboxon strip to help with withdrawals.. My question is how long should I wait to start the suboxon.. I am now at day 3 without any methadone and I'm still not fully withdrawing.. Only minor cold chills and leg pain so far.. Anyone who could help would be much appreciated.

Hello all,
Ive been struggling with addiction for a few years now and Ive had enough. Its been 55-58 hours since I used H (my habit was about 1 to 2 bundles a day), and 24 hours since I did 25 mg of methadone. And it was the first time Ive ever taken methadone, but it didnt even help me. I have a suboxone that I wanna do but am not sure. Will i go into PWs if I take it right now?

This is from personal experience, I am prescribed Suboxone for about two years. I ran out went without anything for 3 days. Was sick. My wife got me a Methodone on the street 10 mg. I took half. I felt better but still not all the way. 12 hours later got my subs. I took my regular dose and was golden. I am not saying that these results are absolute for everyone but, it was for me. If your sick take what you need.

Lol, you're the type whose going to endure countless precipated WDs.., if you aren't in moderate to severe withdrawals according to the COWS scale, then it's too early for you. 50mg sticks around MUCH Longert than low-dose. And btw, it's 30mg methadone dose equivalent that is the tolerance level of the MAX dose of bupe (suboxone) lol sooo how sick did you get cuz your impatient ass clearly isn't waiting? Subs won't cover a 50mg methadone tolerance no matter what you do.