hi, i've been on tabs for 2 yrs and switched to methadone prob 2 months ago. anywhere from 30 to 80 mgs. a day. ready to quit and i need to know if the methadone w/d's will be as bad as ive heard they will be. i'm hoping they wont be as bad considering that ive only been taking it for a couple of months. anyone have any answers? could really use some advice. thanks

I hate to be the one to say it, but methadone cold turkey withdrawal is a beast!!! If you were to slowly taper off it, it won't be as bad..I take it that you aren't in a clinic setting? Maybe going to a clinic and doing a taper will work..if not maybe even suboxone...it worked for me..I have done pretty much every which way to detox and doing a taper (properly)is the way to go, or unless you can go inpatient to a detox, that is the best by far!! Keep me posted on how you are doing with this! I am rooting for yah!

I am afraid Opiatefreeme is correct. The drug has a long half life of 72 hrs and that's why a taper schedule is the way to go. My suggestion would be too get with an addiction specialist asap and come off this drug in a clinical setting. from my personal experiences with hydro and oxy,the only time I would suggest a cold turkey detox is with opiods that have short half lives. My DOC was hydrocodone and those have a half life of 4 hours. The only things I used to help me were Immodium and a multi vitamin. Due to the short half life,the withdrawals were intense and started mere hours after my last dose. The good news if there is any is the short half life allows a quicker physical recovery. After 72 hours, I started feeling much better. Body Chemistry makes everyone unique and it will vary from person to person,but most people start noticing vast improvement around day four for short acting opiods.

Due to the long half life it can take the methadone user up to seven days before the worst of the withdrawals begin to set in. I had a friend who was forced to quit because his connection got arrested. Like you,he was taking 10-20 MG per day. The nearest clinic was 70 miles away and unfortunately wasn't an option for him. He told me he felt horrible for over a month and didn't start feeling better until day 45 or so.

One more point about half life of drugs. Again from my experiences I have found there are quite a few people
who don't fully understand what it means and how it affects physical recovery. Simply put, half life means that's
how long it takes for half of the drug to leave your body. Drugs with long half lives like methadone ( 72 hrs) stay
in the body a long time. Marijuana also has a half life of 72 hrs and why someone can fail a drug test 30 days after
their last dose if they were heavy smokers.

Let's say someone is taking 20 mg of Methadone daily. Let's also say they are completely clean when starting.
Day 1 they have 20 mg in their system. If they skip the next 2 days, 10 Mg is still in their system. If they take
another dose, they now have 30 mg in their body. I could go on,but you can see how this drug can quickly build
up in the body and why a taper system administered in a clinical setting is the best way to get off it. 

Just an FYI to the marijuana...it is fat soluble and that is where it is stored in the body...and great posts to you notgivinup!!!!

If u knew just how severe the w/d's of methadone "liquid" is, u will start decreasing dosage ASAP! Don't put it off...decrease n find equivilant.

Opiatefreeme wrote:

notgivingup wrote:

Many Thanks Opiatefreeme :) I am a firm believer in the old saying know thy enemy. I've always had a thirst for knowledge. Getting addicting to opiates wasn't my choice. I was always one of those types who said it will never happen to me.

Let me take this time to give you a little background on how I got in this situation. My addiction started innocently enough. I went to the dentist suffering from an abcessed tooth. Before he could pull it, he prescribed a anti-biotic to kill the infection and 7.5 mg lortab for pain. The first time I took one I felt like Superman within 20 minutes. I took them only as prescribed and ran out 3 days later. I didn't suffer any withdrawals from my initial experience. I did mentally miss the high they gave me though.

Around 6 months later, I met an old friend who I used to smoke weed with back when we were in our teens and 20's. He had been involved in a car accident and was on long term pain management. He was prescribed 10 mg Vicodin which he sold to me. I later learned he was also Dr. shopping and had access to a unlimited street supply. One thing led to another and two per day became 3, 3 became 4-5 which finally became 6-10. This lasted a year or more. When I ran out or was short of money, it still wasn't too bad. I'd feel kinda blah for a day and had no problems getting connected again.

The first time I did a cold turkey detox wasn't by choice. Hurricane Katrina hit my area and all my street connections scattered. Knowing I couldn't get any made my withdrawals worse in my opinion. I became dry,but not sober. I still hunted for them and sure enough it didn't take long before the black market was back up to full speed. I picked up right where I left off and went right back to old habits.

Around a year or so after that I finally decided to stop. I was basically sick and tired of being sick and tired. I wanted to stop,but didn't want to suffer the withdrawals. I started doing research and went online for help. I actually contemplated taking methadone to help me. The friend I mentioned earlier gave me a 10mg tab to help me. I asked an online question if it would help me. Thankfully a long time meth user told me don't cross that line. He said cold turkey was going to suck,but in the long run,you'll be glad you did. What I can only describe as a higher power told me to go flush the methadone tablet.

I don't remember the exact date,but I do know it was a wednesday morning when I began my journey to clean up. I had 2 10mg vics left and took both at 8am. Around 3 pm, the buzz was completely gone and I felt my energy level start to drop. I had to work the next 4 days and the thought of getting through them terrified me.

Day 2 (Thurs) was the absolute worst. hot and cold flashes,the runs,no energy,sneezing,watery eyes and depression hit me full force.I forced myself to get through the day,but minutes seemed like hours. I felt like death and there seemed to be no end in sight. Day 3 (fri) wasn't much better. The symptoms didn't get any worse,but they also weren't any better. Day 4 (Sat) started off just as bad. The physical symptoms started to subside a bit,but I had zero energy. Around noon that day I had my first moment of clarity. It only lasted a few minutes,but at that moment I realized the light at the end of the tunnel was approaching. I finished that day worn out. I went home and went to bed early. I woke up Sunday morning expecting the same. I hit the snooze button and slept 10 more minutes. After the alarm went off, I got up and then it hit me. I felt like a brand new person and the old me was back :). I couldn't believe it. That feeling was 100 times better than I had gotten off any pill. Sunday was also a short shift and i was home at 2 pm. I kisssed my wife and daughter and took the out to dinner that night. She looked at me during the meal and said you look happy today. I said yes I do. This is only a small way to say how much I love both of you. I was able to keep my demons secret and she had no clue about the hell I just went through.

I know this is a rambling post,but if anyone is out there fighting and addiction to lortabs,Vicodins,or percosets, I strongly suggest going the cold turkey route to get off them. Suboxone has been a God send for some,but remember it's a very strong medicine and should only be used by those who heavily abuse opiates and should only be administered by medical specialists in a clinical setting. It should never be used to help someone stop a tylenol 3 addiction for example.

thanks to all who had info and experience to put in. i'll try and make this relativly short, but i'd like to give a full account of my situation. def not in a clinic setting and not really an option. have access to 130 mgs liquid methadone once a week. normally gone within 2 or 3 days tops. rest of the week is sh*t and just looking forward to the next friday to redose. with this kind of usage how does that compare to what you know of this and with it being such an irregular system is my body going to start turning to hell soon. i'm on day 5 cold turkey and life is a b***h at the moment. been taking xanax to help numb my brain and help me sleep, but i'm afraid the worst is about to start with the long half-life of this stuff. last week by this point i was damn near incapacitated. just holding it together till dosing friday morn. just broke off contact with my supplier tonight and wont be re-upping tomorrow as i normally would. life sucks at the moment, but i'm in nowhere near as bad condition as last week at this point, could that mean i've already started the detoxing and purging of my system, even with the dose i took last weekend, or is that just going to prolong the w/ds. ive read some other accounts of people getting back to normal after only a week or so when only on this stuff for the same ammount of time as ive been at it. anyone think it might be a possibily that i could have a similar experience and make this a short (but none the less horrible) detox. thanks again everyone