MY HUSBAND WAS ON METHADONE FOR 5 MONTHS. HE QUIT COLD TURKEY. NOW HIS WITHDRAWLS ARE HORABLE. ON TOP OF IT HE IS BIPOLAR. SO NOW HE CAN NOT RELAX OR SLEEP. HE HAS BEEN DOUBLING UP ON VITAMINS AND NOW HE HAS BEEN TAKING OVER THE COUNTER SLEEP MEDICANE. WE HAVE TRIED EVEN CARROT JUICE TO FLUSH HIM OUT. IT JUST SEEMS LIKE THIS IS NOT GOING TO END. DOES ANYONE OT HERE HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS FOR US TO HELP FEELING BETTER? OR TO EVEN GET A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP? :D IF SO PLEASE WRITE BACK ASAP. THANKS :!:

Yes withdrawl from Methadone is rough because it's half life.
I have tried to get off the M-done or years now and can not seem to quite get done I am at my personal best right now I am down to 20 mg a day for the last 2 years before that I was going to the clinic for another 2 years.
At the clinic I was at 140 Mg a day.
Before the clinic I was a morphine snorter eater and shooter for years.
Quiting methadone cold turkey is really not a good idea I have tried and am sick for well over a week! And I always end up taking a dose so I can function and work,take care of the kids . Even at as low as 20mg I have tried to get off and get horribly sick still.
I Wish him good luck. I suggest he should see his doctor and let him/her know this situation he is in.

I should mention the sleepless nights will continue it is part of withdrawl I get the same thing I even had my doc give me sleep aids when I finally tappered down to 20mg and also had to take nightquil along with it to even get a few hours sleep.
Methadone is probably the worse thing to come off of atleast this is my experience.
Quitting cold turkey is not good he needs a doctor to tapper him down at his discretion or doctors which ever he chooses most good doctors that understand this will let him make that choice but not allow him to raise it either after he starts tappering.

It has been 7 days since i quit the program, I found that being on this rollercoaster for 7 or so years is enough for me. Here is my story, I ended up in the methadone clinic in 2004 I went up to 120 mgs, began losing my carries, i went within a month to 60 mgs then dropped cold turkey, the dr said "you will be back" and she got the last laugh when i came crawling on my hands and knees back to the clinic. Yes i felt like c**p for months, lost 30 pounds, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, i went back but vowed to keep at a low dose 40 mgs. WHAT WORKED FOR ME WAS: i would take the 40 and split it in half so i was just on really 20 mg, and throw out the rest. I found out that once i was in control i had the power or if i was to be sick i had the other half, i felt great. Big drops do take a couple of days to get used to but have plenty of rest and plent of activities to keep your mind focused. I will explain to you later that 75% of all this bollucks is psychological. At this time I worked out every day, I meditated and started reading a lot about Buddhaism, Taoism and read and listened to Deepak Chopra, Dr. Wayne Dyer., a good book called the power of NOW and so on. So Then I dropped to 30 mgs, wherby taking half would be 15. i was fine (i did feel like c**p but i began to realize that there was no difference of being on 60 or 15. the same symptoms i could eat, sleep, weight gain and profuse sweating, etc. so i convince myself that methadone is still in my body therefore i am not in withdrawal. Mind you I remember being back at 45 mgs of methadone and dropping 1 mg per week and i could not manage it. So how do i have the ability to drop so drastically because it is either all in the mind or i had the power not them. So I went down to 20 mgs but was taking 10 mgs when i went from 10 mgs to 5 mgs At that time I began to feel withdrawal awful so i decided that I would wait until the end of the week and drop cold turkey. Fri Oct 30 was my last day on methadone. What i did for the next 5 days was on morphine to mask the worst of it, Despite being on morphine which I might add that I was really responsible with dosages and weaning. My last day on morphine it did not break through, I felt like my spine was in a vice grip, and I had a pins and needles sensation on my skin at night. I was still eating, still sleeping (I am still on clonidine, seroquel and Trazadone for sleep due to having a sleeping disorder not associated with methadone.) and what may seem unconventional to people at first was that i decided i would use ketamine for 3 days after reading about in on-line. In the past i have ordered $1000 worth of what they told me was Ibogaine Hcl. and as reliable as the internet is it didn't work, I tried GHB that i read from some publication study also didn't help. So I read about the K and let me tell you, yesterday
I cleaned the whole house, worked out, made dinner, although i was drenched and still getting hot and cold sweats I could do it. Today I woke up it was suppost to be the 2nd day with K and i decided not to use. I feel great. I am not super woman or anything I do feel fatigued, lack of motivation, etc. but i feel a hell of a lot differnt then with my last methadone experience. Other vital vitamins and minerals you need due to methadone depleting all of them as well as your opiate, dopamine, seretonin receptors is : 5HTP, Tyrosine, Amino Acids, Omega 3, 6, 9 fish/flax oil, acai berry, melatonin, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, a protein shake I chose Whey ISO Burst and maybe a liver and colon cleanse which i have but have not used. I have not had diarrhea, but if you do you must take Imodium to keep these vitamins in and drink lots and lots of fluid, tea, cup of soup with crackers and even boost or ensure or pediolyte. if you can't eat. It is imperative that you must start working out everyday as soon as you are ready and you will have to drag your but out of bed to do so but remember our cells are changing every second of every day and before long you will be new again. And the most amazing part about the journey that will inspire new thoughts and change not only your withdrwal experience but your intire life is meditation, which i have already mentioned. You just have to be at that point where enough is enough. I was so sick of living my life with liquid handcuffs, so DONE. The methadone clinic for me even if i turn up worst in the weeks to come, is not an option. Until you have had it, you won't succeed. If you are thinking maybe i'll go back....-you will be going back. Clear your mind=heal your body. If I can do it anybody can. Good luck to you. Feel free to e-mail me if you just want to talk some more about this.

dont ever try methadone.....its hard as hell to get off i really dont know what the answer is i got off methadone a year ago and was clean for a few months then hit the dope again hard core for about 8 months almost a half g a day i was ballin or so i thought then i moved away from bham and into the country and had to quit cold turky i forgot how bad the symptoms are the only thing that help is to taper if u cant take some benzos and drink alot if u have not acess to that then take a million baths walk try to run if u can i usually walk and run at night cause i cant sleep u wont be sleeping for maybe 3-4 days with drawls prob will last 5 - 6 maybe 4 if ur lucky ducky. i dunno jacking offf or having constant sex really helps...once u get an orgaism u dont feel the pain for about 5 mins... acid helpz for about 8 hours and then after ur dont trippin u start withdrawling again.....but in the end its u and ur system i dunno try taking some benadryl im withdrawling again its been 2 days since ive had some dope and i took a lorab at 8am yesterday and then at 2am last night i started to withdrawl hard core i jacked off a little and then took half a loratab i wanted to save it untill the morning but i just couldnt....if u know what i mean......its 9:50 am its been about 8 or 7 hours i cant take another loratab untill 7:30 tonight when i get home i hope i can make it im just worried after im out which i have 1 left i was going to cut it into 3rds geez maybe i should do it 4ths i dunno i hate addiction man i just want to get high and not deal with all of this but i cant live from pay check to pay check anymore using ppl to get sh*t and having to hide all the time behind the drug the withdrawls are simple compared to staying clean if u ask me i dunno maybe not maybe i will never be clean i hope i can do it im only 22 but ive seen it all imean i might be a white girl from the burbs but dope sucks i mean it seems like herione and methadone are the worst addictions u can have cause its so hard to stay clean welll at least with h it is for me i dunno if anyone has any more suggestions email me i would love to hear something new and helpful for a change

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Hi! I went cold turkey off 90 mgs of liquid methadone almost 12 days ago. Yea it was rough and sure it was painful, and I'm still dealing with a loss of energy, but I'm done and I'm so thankful to my boyfriend and my dad for helping me through it. I only really had 3 real rough days. Those days were by far 3 of the worst most painful days of my life, but it was made bareable by sleepin meds, and a low dose anti-depressant. I'm sleeping through most nights, and that's good considering I never slept well before methadone. I'm 31 years old. Lost 20 lbs, but I'm looking forward to this new life drug free. The cost of the m-done clinic alone was killin us. My head is so clear now. I have a new respect for medication though and the use of it. Believe that! I just wanted everyone to know that its not as bad as the clinic wants you to think it is. They need you even more than you need them b/c you are their paycheck. They told me I could die, and kept talkin me outta stoppin or taperin down. So this time I didn't warn em so they couldn't get in my head bout it and just stopped. And they told me I couldn't do it! HA! IN YOUR FACE CLINIC! I FOUGHT THE CLINIC AND I WON!

I agree, the clinic cares about one thing and that is money. They do not give two sh**s about there patients. For example, one day the nurse locked somebody out as they were walking in, how cold is that, and almost everyday I went somebody wouldn't have there 11 dollars to dose and the clinic wouldn't let them dose. People actually had to miss days because they couldn't pay for the day. That is one of the reasons why I quit cold turkey. I was sick of being a slave to methadone. The thing I hate the most about the clinic is they do not encourage you to reduce your dose. I was at 100 mgs for five years and was told it was up to me. I am an attic of course I wasn't going to go down in dose. Yeah I feel like sh*t but I will feel a lot better feeling normal, than the way methadone made me feel after this detox I am going through.

So did I, two months ago, after 14 years. When I went to a clinic it was after 10 mths of dope. They did not say "go to a rehab, at your age (24) you will be good as new in 10 days, when I was young and healthy."
Now I am 38, egh, 39 today....heh. 40 on it, f**k that!
Now I have been laying around letting the place go to c**p, turning the A/C on and off, and boiling myself 3 times a day in the tub. Can't lay down in comfort, can't function or walk around in it. Mdone slowed my life to a crawl and put me on S.S.

You got your Buprenorphine, which makes you feel like you were before dope, don't slow you down, but u will be on it forever.

I ask for nerve pills, If he is steadfast on staying off. So many ppl are on Clonazepam and sh*t, what the hell does it matter, and it is not an opiate addiction but much less, and If you never abused them, they do provide adequate relief for the PAWS part.

Unfortunately, I have been to so many doctors and the double standard is so high, he would probably have to buy them from the old guy next door. Mdone is a joke.

I am such a drain on the world now, I think that suicide is
only logical. Provide a spot for someone who can. Christ the church of Euthanasia would love me.