Hi anyone who is reading this. I thought I would share my story about methadone in hopes that it might keep just one person from taking this poison. I am 41 , 6' 4" and 300 pounds. I have been taking methadone for about 11 months daily. I know thats nothing to many. I started taking methadone to kick the terrible side effects of coming off tabs. I was eating 20 - 30 10mg tabs a day and went cold turkey. At day 3 , a close friend whgo was on methadone trwatment from a clinic brough me 10mg of wafer methadone. I was shocked how such a little dose was able to stop all the terrible things going on in my body from getting off the tabs. From one month of taking my first dose of done, I was up to 40mg a day of done. At the end of the second month, I was taking 60mg a day. At the end of the 3rd month, I was taking 80mg a day of done. From the 4th month until Nov. 1st, I was taking 100mg - 140mg a day. Completely recreational at that. This created a problem for my friend at the clinic as I was taking all of his done and we both would run out early and forced to buy it from others. Well, the enevitable happened. I ended up looking down the barrell of a .40 calibur Glock that Vice Squad cop was pointing at me in the middle of a hook up. Luckily, I got felony charges reduced to simple possesion charges because I make really good money and could afford a pit bull lawyer that got it reduced. Still, I am now on probation for 11/29 and was forced into a cold turkey situation. Day 1 and day off methadone was so easy for me I was telling myself: "I got this". Day 3 came around and I started feeling some minor leg discomfort. Kinda like having an ich you cant find. It kinda annoys you to death. Day 4 kicked in and the leg discomfort was doubling every 6 hours or so. I really didnt have thatr much pain. I was taking a couple tabs everyday to try to help but it didnt do much other that in  my mind. Day 5 was more of the same but worse. Legs and arms were driving me crazy and were my only real problem. I was aching all over , but the legs and arms were keeping from sleeping and keeping from thinking about anything but my arms and legs. I ate about 80mg of tabs this day and still not much relief. Day 6 rolls around and it hasnt gotten much worse. Still completely terrible with no sleep, but at least it wasnt any worse. My arreignment court day was on day 6. I had to sit thru 5 hours of court before my case came up while sitting on a hard , wooden bench . Needless to say, I was scared and completely freaking out. I was so uncomfotable all over along with my arms and legs driving my crazy. That night , I slept none. Up till this point, I was sleeping in short bursts by taking hot showers and jumping right into bed. This wasnt working now. Up all night.  Morning of day 7. Still going crazy from the leg and arm anxiety. If that is what restless leg syndrome feels like, I understand them now. 1st thing on Day 7 I did was drive into the town I live near and went from doctor to doctor till I found one that would see me on the spot. I told him everything. He checked my blood pressure and it was 190 over 120. That sucks to say the least. That is well within stroke tolerances. I told him since I was now on probation and had to start drug testing next week, I couldnt have anything narcotic. I didnt want it anyway. I put a $200,000 a year job in jeapordy with this poison , so I had made my mind up in jail that I was getting clean. I had read in a few posts about a drug called Clonidine. I asked the doctor if he knew anythig about it treating withdrawal from opiates. He said he had and told me that since my blood pressure was so dangerously high, its worth a shot. Well, he wrote me a script for 90 .1mg clonidine tablets and told me to get a good one-a-day vitamin to take and some B6. While waiting for the pharmacy to fill my Rx, I bough and took to vitamins and 400mg of B6. Once I got the Clonidine, I took one tablet. Within 20 minutes of taking this little tiny pill, the leg and arm burning started to go away. By the time I got home about an hour of taking this little pill, I FELT NOTHING !!!! I was like a new person. I had bought a blood pressure machine at Wal-Mart and my blood pressure had already dropped to 140 over 91 in a little over an hour since taking the 1st Clonidine. At 7pm today, November 8th, Day 8 has started for me of being methadone free and I feel like a new person. I havent felt the first tingle in my arms or legs. At about 9pm, I laid down and felt some strage shooting pulses in my right foot that was like really intense sensations. I got up and walked around and it stopped. I stayed up messing around for a while and it never returned. I laid back down at around 11pm, and that same pain started back in the same foot. I got back up and went to my computer and started this post. The pain stopped as soon as I got moving again so I am good. I just took my second dose of Clonidine and 2 more vitamins and 400mg of B6 and I am going back and going to try and go to sleep. Even if I have to get up to stop the weird foot sensations, so be it. I will sleep in a damn chair tonight if it means getting some sleep at all since I am feeling like a Zombie. I just wish I had tried the Clonidine on day 3. So to anyone out there going thru cold turkey withdrawals from methadone, try the Clonidine. Its cheap and it jsut might help. I seriously suggest the vitamin and B6 along with . It has turned me around and right at this moment, I feel 100% normal again. Now, I know I didnt take this poison for years like so many do. I also know that I am a strong person in general with very good willpower. Maybe my case is the exception rather than the rule. Who knows. All I know that I feel like the worst is over and the weight is off. I plan on getting some sleep and getting back to normal activities tomorrow. I havent worked a second since Nov. 2nd. Luckily I am self employd and jsut blamed this week on the flu. If this post helps just one person, it will be worth the time I have spent to type it. METHADONE IS POISON!!!! Good luck to all. I will update in the mornign if I got any sleep. I might not since I kinda feel a little wired and alot of energy. I read that Clonidine can cause insomnia. sh*t !!! Hope not. I have had the market conered on that this week. But I can take it if Im not hurting. Will post in the AM !!!!

my name is robert im on 95 of that c**p been on it for about 3 months and im smart enough to know to get off i dont want to die for real! im going to take 5 millis less a week so i dont cold turkey. i feel so trapped by this worst than any tab or pill addiction that ive ever had. please listen dont get on this it sucks your money like 12 a day and your stuck after a month i know because i am this is not help this is more than that its population control!

any way starting now like tommarow going down five, for 7 then five for seven untill im down to 30 then im jumping on klonodine .1 and b 12 and gnc mega man vitamin tablet.

ive got to get off this it is ruining me !

please take heed - robert

I'm 15 days in from 120mg...nothing in over two weeks I really cannt recall the first week I was so sick I thought I might die! I still am super sleepy avreging 3 hrs of sleep for ten daysbout to go offf the f*****g grid,major craveings, 8 yrs on that f*****g clinic has poisned my body mind and soul I'm not half of who I was....seem to super sad,this is the worst but better yet with all those yrs on I forgot I was high because it was so normal so to face the fact that even more screwed then I was when I. Got on was life changing for me...I am done and it is getting better but mornings are hard..keep up the good fight lol

Here's the thing my friend. Cold Turkey means taking nothing for it. You were taking Lortabs and Clonodine to help with the withdrawals. Those 2 make the trip soooo much more tolerable than real cold turkey. But yes if you do have to quit, get a month or two script for Clonodine. It will help. The Lortabs wouldn't have really done anything for the first few days because the receptors for the opiates were blocked by the methadone. Wish the best for all who are trying to quit.

Toughen up dude, you are probably full of sh-t claiming you refused narcotics while in methadone withdrawl

and you know you are lying. A lot of men do a slow detox reduction of 1 mg every other day and never feel

any dise effects until they get under 40 or 30 mg and then they just taper off slower and I have seen dozens

of men do that and have done the 1 mg reduction down from 70 mg myself because I never let myself go over

70 mg to avoid the methadone getting a real hold on my bone marrow. You probably have a medical malpractice

action claim against any jail doctor or other doctor who refused to prescribe methadone after confirming you had

been on a clinic, and anyone reading this who ever needs free legal assistance just contact Mike DuPont

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

ps. Anyone on East Coast be forewarned to avoid the couple of dozen Habit Opco

methadone clinics because they can cause you and will cause you problems if you don't play their behavoir modification

games and I can provide specifics to anyone interested or anyone who has a beef with Habit Opco Inc.

Hi.. I'm on habit opco- I fcking hate them, and being as I'm a white young pretty woman who comes from an upper-middle class lifestyle, they fcking hate me, its almost like they are mad i drive a luxury car and my drug use hasn't really affected my looks; they totally are ruining my detox by putting me thru hoops .. In July 2012 I started meth, I had an addiction from snorting oxycodone, 8-30 a day, i would only use 8 on days I didn't have much or couldn't use more and using only 8 just fought off withdrawals for me, it got so bad I would have to sniff 2 oxys before I even got out of bed -- anyway in July went to detox was put on meth there to get off oxys, the detox actually forwarded me to a meth clinic knowing I live in Staten Island, the blue mecca, where oxycodone abuse is the highest except certain areas in Florida, i wish the detox wouldnt of assisted me in that way, by the end of August I was at 80 mgs of meth in a Staten Island clinic and in October I transferred to a habit opco in union, nj to live with my mom mostly because I was arrested in October for selling and still using oxys at that time even though I was on meth for 3 months bc NY clinics don't give a shyt; (I am taking a plea for disorderly conduct, which is great, but the pills were in my name in my bottle but of course the DTs who arrested me did NOT include that in the report so i feel they should be pleading with me ESPECIALLY now that i have revisited the street i got pulled over on and the man whose house it was in front of, has a camera of the cops totally mishandling everything) regardless, from October to now (match 2013), I went from 80 mgs to 34mgs.. My urine tests show up negative for meth so they have "paused" my detox and in the past 5 days have given me THREE urine tests, at this point I don't know what to do, its the most unprofessional environment I've ever been in, dealing with the people there, I asked them why they are giving me a othet obe today when i took one yesterday NO reason, i feel the front desk is choosing to give me it bc when u go there u enter ur "#" into a computer and it tells u admin, drug test, or dose OR a combination and today it did not say to take a test it just said administration and the woman at the front told me oh u need to take a monitored, meanwhile i took a test 5 days ago and yesterday.. I don't even really give them a hard time, but they really make me want to,. I think constantly about just kicking in my bed for 2 weeks to avoid the next 6 months of being treated live a slave to the clinic and the dumb retard counselors and "supervisor" that works there.. So it is safe to say I have a HUGE problem with HabitOpco, the clinic I go to actually leaves the labelled urine filled cups in a Tupperware for HOURS in an uncontrolled temperature, they are so unprofessional its a joke, if you don't pay on time they detox you at different rates, some people at 10mg/daily, some at 10mg/every 3 days (can u say WTF) meanwhile these people are all al the same fixed dose prior to that .. I literally hate habit opco, I fantasize about giving the rude, attitude prone monkey who sits at the front desk a real piece of my mind the day I leave there, and the middle finger on both hAnds,. Anyway you said anyone who had a beef with them to contact u, I now live in NJ and maybe you live in Red Bank bc I googled ur name, I don't want to just call ur office saying oh did u leave this post almost 4 months ago , so hopefully you'll read this, and let me know what you know and maybe you can help me in some way... -Jess

ABSOLUTELY AGREE. methadone is just one of those drugs that they try and get you hooked on, personally I would rather use real opiates as they are less toxic. But obviously that's not the solution. Methadone is the worst drug you could use for addiction as your body also get's addicted to this c**p. It WILL damage your liver and withdrawals can be much worse then other opiates. I recommend using Subutes for addiction. For me, it worked wonders and the withdrawals are nothing compared to methadone. Those clinics want nothing more than to get you hooked on methadone as they start you on doses of 80mg's that actually put me to sleep. A dosage that is completely too strong for someone that used $20-30 a day of heroin. Dilaudid is even better for coming off junk as the withdrawals can be controlled by stepping down dosage strength. Do not use methadone for chronic pain relief, morphine made me nauseous, vicodin with acetometaphen upset my stomach, but dilaudi that has no aspirin, acetomenophen, or caffeine was the best choice with the least withdrawals for my osteoarthritis.

sorry to say your detox would have been just beginning methadone detox begins 5days after your last dose so days 1thru4 don't count the dr should've explained that to u plus the meds ur taking now only work first few days also u cAN TAKE ANYTHING U WANT IF IT IS GAVE TO YOU BY A DR WHERE R YOU GETTING YOUR INFO U DONT NEED TO SUFFER EVEN ON PROBATION MY HUSBAND IS PROBATION OFFICER IF A DR GAVE IT U CAN HAVE IT METHADONE TO GO TO CLINIC AND GET ON IT LEGALLY COLD TURKEY CAN KILL U

it will not kill you I stopped cold turkey myself I went 3 years to clinic and I was on 110mg and I went down to 75 and I stopped cold turkey and I can tell you what will help you just look back at all the places you have burned and feel asleep and this is one step that will help you the next step is the pill called newroaten I took them for two weeks and now I have been off meathdone for 6 monthes yes you will miss it but its so worth it.....think of if like this how many times have you been standing in line and the person in front of you are behind you want off meathdone ....yes everyone does there just afraid of what someone told them .....everyone is different but I can promise you ....two weeks is all it takes and if you can get this pill you will have know with draws at all I promise you that my friend...good luck god bless....

how did that go Robert? I was at my clinic about 2 hours ago to have my monthly conference with my doctor (I'm taking 70mg of methadone and have been for a good 3 years now) the dude next to me while we were waiting told me that he was weaning off 1 mg /week and he didn't notice any withdrawal symptoms. 5 mg at a time seems rather drastic to me. did you hurt with the pain of withdrawals? I've noticed that the pain when I'm without the methadone is barely anything compared to the immense amount of anxiety I feel when I miss a day. I feel like I can't breath and I'm constantly switching between hot/cold, hot/cold over and over for the entire day. I'm prescribed sleeping pills (Seroquel) but I doesn't help on the days when I've missed my dose. what about you?

Methadone saved my life. Addicted to opiate pain killers and heroin forced me to get help 31 years ago and I got on a methadone clinic. It changed and saved my life, I never used opiates again and today I take 180mgs of methadone every morning , go once a month to get my supply and that's it. I am a legal medical addict which is a lot better than a dead addict with a wasted life. Methadone is used to get people off of heroin and other opiates. It was set up to be used for that specific purpose back in the early 60's. It is an addictive drug and they clearly tell you that, but what is better, being stable on a substitute or being a junkie on the street. DUH!!! Sure its hard to get off of it, but isn't heroin and opiates difficult also? Those are the bad drugs, not methadone. Its simply an alternative for people to salvage their life. My life has been great since getting a legal RX for methadone. I'm the one that got myself addicted to opiates in the first place. Methadone was my way out. I'm glad I'm alive and doing well. Anyone trying to get off street drugs and pain killers should be commended for trying a drug program like methadone clinics. Its the only way out for many of us, and I thank god I found it. I'm sorry some of you haven't been able to get stable on it, but its not methadones fault, its yours.

I just started the Methadone 4 days ago, I have been on pain medicine for 31 yrs and I want off, They started me on 30mgs and I thought I was going to have a Heart attack and I have had a Headache ever since I started it, The Doctor said its got nothing to do with the Methadone but I disagree because I never get Headaches ever and 15 mins after taken it I got it and My Heart was skipping Beats, i told him I wanted a lower dose and he said No! I tried to go off the pain meds for 2 yrs now and can't do it, My Doctor has always kept me on it for back Pain, I just don't want to be on anything anymore, I'm scared to be on Methadone but the doctor said there is no reason to be scared. After reading your story I'm really scared now! Not sure what to do!

No doctor can keep you on any medication that you don't want to be on, unless your hospitlized . It takes five days to go in wd off the meth, so reduce as low as you can. Meth is about 8 times the strength of morphine. ten mgs is still alot.

I am down to 50mg, I came down 10mg every two weeks from 120 to 100, and now 5 every two wks. I dont feel any withdrawel sysmptoms and I have been on Methadone for 6yrs. I feel that alot of it is mental and how you choose to keep your mindset and what you truly want. I want to remain sober and I workout again to keep my body and mind in check and it has helped me tremedously. I think your attitude is the key; if you scare yourself and tell yourself all kinds of stuff, and listen to everyone elses story. you are going to have problems. I have heard so many stories, but the negative ones all came from people who already started using the minute they started their detox. Ive also heard alot of great stories! I also hear that most people who quit cold turkey have turned to clonapin/ benzo, its another drug. So Im going to do it the way that many have before me, and have been successful. I have made great achievements in my life while on methadone. Honors and deans list through college with my first degree, and now im in the middle of becoming a RN(registered nurse) one year left. I have been at the same job for 5 yrs.. I have also suffered loss and have wanted to use, and it wasnt methadone that stop me( Ive lost my husband in a cart accident, while he was driving to the clinic) Its was my decision to want a better life and to really love myself. I chose to rise above and stay positive and focused, and not give into what i have given into so many times before. To stick to what I believe in, not what feels good. Everyone has their own story! I just wanted to share mine and im happy for all of you who have found sobriety in whatever way. Methadone to me is not for people who are addicted to perc 5, 10 mgs, or darvecet(I actually met someone on the clinic for that) or loratab 5, 10mg. GO TO DETOX, unless you are looking to abuse the clinic like so many other and just use it as a crutch.. I was on herione(IV and snorting)and oxycotin. Its amazing how the mind works and how much control you actually have over your mind and body. Believing in yourself and loving yourself, is key to being succssful in sobriety completely. Everyone is different and I just wish that at that time in my life I had been the person I am today, but I wasnt. So I am not going to blame anyone or anything for getting on methdone. I am going to embrace this journey and keep my head held high. I will let you know how I am doing in a couple of weeks. Stay positive and focused and never giving in, thats the only way to find peace and sobriety. Stick to whats right, not what feels good at the moment... Good luck to everyone

C

Definitely agree with Sunita. I was on 85 mg. Coming down now 5 mg weekly...I am now on 65mg...other than some hot flashes and a couple of emotional outbursts...im not in true hard withdraw....I have however detoxed from one hundred mg...5 mg a day to 0....I know true methadone withdraw......cannot imagine turning down a loratab or anything else that would help in the midst of the craziness!!! you feel pure desperation...thank goodness I had people that helped me through because in the middle of the insanity I would have took anything that would have even took the edge off!! as I believe any true addict would in the middle of such raw pain.